What is single trip European Breakdown Cover?

One off European Breakdown Cover means your vehicle is covered for a one-off trip to Europe. A single trip must start and end in the UK, and you must purchase the cover before you leave the UK. It gives you peace of mind that if you break down while you’re away, you can be fixed at the roadside or at a local garage. You can buy cover for one day to 180 days, and everything in between.

How much is single-trip European breakdown cover?

The price you pay for single trip European breakdown cover depends on:

  • how long you’re going to Europe for
  • the level of cover you choose (Comprehensive or Comprehensive Plus)
  • which zone(s) you’re travelling to (Zone 1, 2 or 3)
  • the age and type of vehicle you’re driving

For example, get our 7 days’ European breakdown cover for less than £5.79 a day*

Compare different levels of single-trip European breakdown cover


7 days’ cover

For less than £5.79
per day*

Unlimited roadside assistance in Europe
We’ll pay up to £150 garage labour costs2
Up to £500 accommodation expenses or up to £1,500 to continue your journey
We’ll pay up to the market value of your vehicle to get it back to the UK, providing your vehicle is not beyond economical repair
UK roadside assistance up to the value of £300, 48 hours before your departure date

Comprehensive Plus

7 days’ cover

For less than £9.25
per day**

Unlimited roadside assistance in Europe
We’ll pay up to £1,000 garage labour costs1
Up to £1,200 accommodation expenses and up to £3,000 to continue your journey
We’ll pay to get your vehicle back to the UK if it can’t be fixed, providing your vehicle is not beyond economical repair
Unlimited UK roadside assistance, 7 days before your departure date^
Replacement tickets if you miss your pre-booked train or ferry^^

Is single trip cover only for cars?

Our single trip European breakdown cover isn’t just for cars. We also cover motorcycles (12cc and over), motorhomes and minibuses (with up to 17 seats, including the driver) – plus light vans, and vehicles towing caravans or trailers.

We also offer single trip european breakdown cover for older vehicles. Our cover is available for vehicles of any age, just as long as it is:

  • registered as a private vehicle in the UK, Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man
  • a maximum of 3,500 kg (3.5 tonnes) when fully loaded. This weight is called the gross vehicle mass (GVM)
  • a maximum of 7 m long, 3 m high and 2.5 mm wide – including any load you’re carrying.

Which countries are covered?

RAC European Breakdown Cover is available in 49 countries – that’s more than most other providers. These countries are split into Zone 1, Zone 2 and Zone 3, so you can easily select the right cover for you and your trip. 

Click on a country to read a guide to local driving laws, travel advice, parking regulations, fuel availability and more.

We also have resources that go into more detail about our single trip European breakdown cover offerings in France, Spain, Germany and Ireland.

Zone 1 (includes France & Germany)

We also cover the offshore islands of all the countries within this zone.

Show countries on a map


Zone 2 (includes Spain & Italy)

We also cover the offshore islands of the countries within this zone, with the exception of Ceuta, Melilla or the Canary Islands (Spanish off-shore Islands).

Show countries on a map



Q. How long is a single trip policy valid for?

A single-trip European breakdown policy is valid for one return trip lasting up to a maximum of 180 days. When you buy your cover, you need to let us know how long you’ll be away for. The price you pay will be based on this.

Q. Is my European breakdown cover still valid now we’ve left the EU?

If you have RAC European Breakdown Cover and need our help, we’ll rescue you as normal. You’ll have the same level of protection as before Brexit, unless we’ve told you otherwise.

Just so you know, you may experience delays if local restrictions are in place. There may also be delays in sourcing hire cars, hotel accommodation and getting your car home if it can’t be fixed.

Q. How has Brexit affected driving in the EU?

Your UK driving licence is still valid to drive in EU countries. But you’ll also need to take these documents with you.

  • Your vehicle’s log book (V5C). This proves that you own the vehicle

  • A Green Card. This is an international insurance certificate that proves you’re insured abroad.

  • An additional Green Card. You’ll need this if you’re towing a trailer or caravan.

It’s your responsibility to make sure you understand what you need when driving to Europe after Brexit. Find out more about driving in the EU after Brexit.

Q. My vehicle has broken down in Europe, what do I do?

If you have RAC European Breakdown cover, please call to let us know you’ve broken down. You’ll speak to our English-speaking team, and they’ll talk you through next steps. The number you need to call depends on which country you’re in when you break down: 

Q. What should I do if I’ve changed my vehicle?

If you’ve changed your vehicle, please call 0330 159 1111 to let us know. Otherwise, your RAC European Breakdown Cover won’t apply to the correct vehicle.

Q. Can I buy other types of European breakdown cover?

You can choose between single-trip and annual European breakdown cover. 

  • Single-trip cover: For one-off trips to Europe, lasting up to 180 days each
  • Annual cover: For unlimited trips to Europe during a year, lasting up to 90 days per trip.

You can buy both types of cover for cars, motorcycles, motorhomes, and caravans.

Q. What will it cost to get vehicle parts in Europe?

The cost of parts in Europe varies from country to country and garage to garage. If you don’t have European breakdown cover, you’ll also have to pay garage labour costs. With RAC Breakdown Cover, you’ll be covered for up to £150 or £1,000 of labour costs depending on which cover level you choose.

Q. What if I don’t speak the language at the garage?

With the RAC, you’ll have access to an English-speaking helpline. So you don't need to worry if you don’t speak the local language.

Q. If I need to make more than one trip a year - what cover should I get?

Single trip European breakdown cover is ideal if you only plan to drive to Europe once or twice a year. It’s likely to work out cheaper than an annual policy. But if you drive to Europe more regularly, it’s worth considering annual European breakdown cover, as it may cost you less per trip.

Q. Where can I see my policy documents?

When you buy your cover, we’ll send your policy documents to you in the post.

Q. What is the claim process?

Please download and email your claim form (including receipts) to [email protected]. Make sure your vehicle registration number is in the subject field. You can find the claim form and more information here.

How can we help you?

Do you know the French for flat battery? (it's batterie à plat)

We have been helping motorists in Europe for over 120 years so we know how stressful it can be when your car breaks down. It can be even worse when it is in a different country where you may not be able to speak the language.
Experienced case handlers to manage your breakdown from start to finish
Our technical experts will liaise with the garage to ensure you only pay for repairs you need
We will cover the costs of dispatch for any replacement parts- please note we will not pay for the costs of the parts
Average time to attend in France was 44 minutes†
56% of all breakdowns in Europe are dealt with on the same day†
We repair 93% of all breakdowns in France attended within 60 minutes†
We repair 55%of all breakdowns at the roadside in France
English speaking incident managers on call 24/7 to help manage the repairs, towing and if needs be alternative travel or accommodation arrangements
Up to 18 different languages spoken by our team