Driving advice for every country in Europe

Find up-to-date driving laws and advice for any country in Europe before you visit, including any accessories you may need to purchase. Don't forget the RAC provides European breakdown cover while you're driving in Europe.

Driving in San Marino

San Marino
Population: 32,576
Area: 61.2 Km sq
Currency: Euro

If you're driving in San Marino your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence. If you don't have a photo card licence, you'll need an International Driving Permit - find out more here
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seatbelt at all times
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A first aid kit
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company
  • A Camping Card International to give you additional proof of identity, third party liability insurance, plus discounts at a wide range of campsites and tourist attractions. Find out more here

Other things you should know:

  • You won't have to pay motorway tolls
  • Petrol (lead replacement and unleaded), diesel and LPG are readily available
  • Speed limits vary across San Marino, so check the signposts for maximum speeds
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • The drink driving limit is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood - less than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml
  • You must use dipped headlights during the day on motorways, dual carriageways and out-of-town roads
  • You shouldn't use your horn in built-up areas except in cases of extreme danger
  • Outside built-up areas, use your horn to let someone know you want to pass them
  • Children under age 4 must use a suitable child restraint. Children aged 4-12 can't sit in the front unless they have an appropriate seat restraint
  • If you hire a car, check your insurance carefully. You might not be covered for accidents unless a third party is involved (so you wouldn't be covered if you drove into a wall) and you might not be covered against fire and theft in some areas
  • It's illegal to carry any radar detection equipment, whether or not it's switched on, when driving through San Marino
  • If you're carrying an overhanging load (like a bike on the back of your car) you must have a 50cmx50cm red and white striped reflective panel on the back of the car

Useful numbers:

112 - Here's a really important bit of knowledge; you can dial 112 from anywhere in Europe and an operator will connect you to an emergency service in the country you're visiting. Operators can answer your call in their native language, English, and French. 

Useful guides and maps

Michelin - National Map Italy
Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

Download  a copy of our full Driving Abroad report.

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

UK Government travel advice

See up-to-date travel advice


Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of May 2016 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.
*Price for 1 day cover for up to 9 people travelling in a vehicle up to 1 year old in Zone 1.
RAC European Breakdown cover arranged and administered by RAC Financial Services Limited (Registered No 05171817) and provided by RAC Insurance Ltd (Registered No 2355834). Registered in England; Registered Offices: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of insurance mediation activities. RAC Insurance Ltd is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

There is no British Consulate in San Marino. The closest British diplomatic mission is in Rome.

British Embassy Rome
Via XX Settembre 80/a
00187 Rome

Email: italy.consulate@fco.gov.uk

Telephone: +39 06 4220 0001

Fax: +39 06 4220 2334

Emergency consular assistance (24 hours): +39 06 4220 0001