Learner Driver Insurance


Learner insurance from 1 day to 5 months*
  • No claims protected – for the main driver

  • Fully comprehensive – provisional insurance from a brand you can trust

  • Flexible – get on the road in 15 minutes and top up online

Existing customer? Log in to manage your account 24/7

Learner Driver Insurance

Want some extra practice with learner insurance?

Learn to drive with our RAC Learner Driver Insurance. Whether it’s your car, or a friend or family member’s – we've got you covered. With options from one day to five months, our flexible top-up system is suitable for all new drivers seeking learner insurance. That way, you only pay for the cover you need until you’ve passed your test.

Our learner driver insurance is always fully comprehensive. And for even more peace of mind, there’s no impact on the main driver’s no claims discount if you need to make a claim while driving their car.

Say hello to flexible learner driver insurance from the RAC

Quick and easy
Buy online 24/7 and get cover within 15 minutes
Only pay for the learner car insurance cover you need, from 1 day to 5 months*
Peace of mind
Learner car insurance doesn't impact the main driver's No Claims Discounts

How does Learner Driver Insurance work?

What is learner driver insurance?

Learner driver insurance provides short-term provisional insurance for drivers. It covers you for both private lessons and practicing before you take your driving test. With the RAC, you can take out learner insurance for 1 day or for as long as 5 months, depending on how long it takes you to pass. If you do find yourself needing to top-up, then don’t worry, as you can do this online at any time.

Provisional insurance is a separate policy from the vehicle owner’s existing annual car insurance. So, if you have an accident then it won’t impact their no claims discount. Plus, provisional learner insurance isn’t the same as having a black box, meaning that you’ll be able to drive the vehicle at whatever time suits you if you’re driving your own car.

When you’re ready for the big day, you’ll be covered by your learner insurance policy.

Who can supervise me when learning to drive?

Anyone who has held a full UK driving licence for over three years and is aged between 25-75 can supervise you if you've taken out provisional driver insurance. This could be a parent, family member, or friend. When supervising a learner driver, there are several important things to be aware of. Your supervisor must not use their mobile phone while you’re driving, and they cannot be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This includes prescription medication that prohibits driving. Your instructor must also not accept payment unless they’re an approved instructor.

Am I eligible for Learner Driver Insurance?

As the driver, you must:
  • hold a current provisional UK driving licence

  • be a permanent UK resident

  • have an address shown on your provisional driving licence which matches the address on your provisional insurance policy

  • have had no claims or incidents likely to give rise to claims

  • have no penalty points on your licence

  • have had no motoring offences or convictions

  • have not been convicted of any offence relating to fraud, robbery, theft, or handling stolen goods including any pending prosecution or police enquiry

  • Your vehicle must:
  • be registered in the UK

  • have a current market value of less than £40,000

  • have no more than 7 seats (including the driver's)

  • not have been modified

  • not be a hire or rental vehicle

  • not be a seized vehicle or in a police compound

  • not be used for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward

  • not be used to carry hazardous goods

  • not be used or driven at any hazardous location

  • Read our full policy requirements here.

    Important note: once you’ve passed your test, you’ll no longer be covered by our provisional learner insurance to drive home from the test centre. New drivers can save on their insurance with our RAC Black Box Car Insurance.

    How much is Learner Driver Insurance?

    The cost of learner insurance will vary depending on your situation and vehicle. These prices** are a guide:

    Daily learner insuranceWeekly learner insuranceMonthly learner insurance
    1 day £16.651 week £35.512 months £116.96
    2 days £20.222 weeks £43.033 months £157.93
    3 days £23.633 weeks £53.794 months £216.59
    6 days £34.474 weeks £75.845 months £254.40

    How do I get Learner Driver Insurance?

    Get on the road within 15 minutes with learner insurance
    Extend your learner driver cover online

    Get learner insurance for your own car

    • Fully flexible: buy a policy online 24/7 and get learner insurance for a day, week, or month, from 1 day up to 5 months*. 
    • Instant cover: you’ll be covered within 15 minutes – or up to 28 days in advance.
    • A range of cars: we’ll cover you in a wide range of cars, including most family cars. See our vehicle eligibility criteria
    • Learn in your car or someone else’s: you just need to make sure you have the owner’s permission. Read our advice for supervising a learner driver. 
    • No curfews: if you use your own car, you can drive at whatever time you like.

    Benefits of learner driver insurance for your supervisor

    • No impact on your no claims discount: as this is a separate policy, your no claims discount won’t be impacted if the learner has an accident whilst driving your car.
    • No increase to your policy cost: adding a learner onto your existing insurance policy could increase the price.
    •  No mid-term change fee: you could be charged a change fee for adding a learner to your own policy.

    A learner driver in a car with supervision

    What's included with Learner Driver Insurance?

    RAC Learner Driver Insurance is fully comprehensive. Here’s what’s included:

    What's included
     Cover if the car is written off and for accidental damage, fire, theft or attempted theft

     Legal liability if another person is injured or dies, or their property is damaged (up to £5 million per claim)

     Medical expenses for anyone injured in the vehicle

     Sitting the driving test

    You’re also covered with learner insurance when sitting the driving test, providing that you use the same vehicle. However, the cover stops when you pass your test, so you’ll need to plan alternative arrangements when getting the car back from the test centre.

    Read our full policy requirements here.

    What our customers say

    Our partners Dayinsure are rated 4.8 out of 5 on TrustPilot (27/04/2022). And we’ve been looking after motorists for over 120 years, so you know you’re in safe hands when you buy learner driver insurance from the RAC.


    Learner driver insurance explained FAQs

    Q. Can a provisional driver be added to an existing annual policy?

    Yes, a provisional licence holder can be added as a ‘named driver’ to an existing annual policy. Any changes to an existing policy should be discussed with the existing insurance provider. However, adding a provisional driver to an existing policy is likely to increase the price of the premium for the remainder of the policy year, and there may also be an administration fee.

    That’s why we offer learner driver insurance, as it means learners don’t have to pay for a full year of insurance. And, most importantly, if they’re involved in an incident while borrowing someone else’s car, it won’t affect the no claims discount of the main policyholder.

    Q. What is the difference between provisional driving insurance and learner driver insurance?

    Provisional driving insurance is another term for learner driver insurance. They do the same thing: cover you for any driving practice you have before you pass your test. If you’re practicing in your own car, you’ll need provisional or learner driving insurance. If you’re using a friend or family member's car, you need to make sure their insurance policy covers you as a learner driver. If not, you’ll need to take out your own separate learner insurance. This can be done alongside their existing car insurance. With an RAC Learner Driver Insurance policy, the no claims discount of the car owner won’t be affected if you need to make a claim.

    Q. Can I get learner insurance with a provisional licence?

    Yes, you can get insurance with a provisional driving licence. There are specific policies for learners - Provisional Driving Insurance or Learner Driver Insurance.

    Q. Can I get learner insurance for a day?

    You can get learner driver insurance for a day, or up to 5 months. It only takes a few minutes to get a quote and you’ll be covered to drive within 15 minutes. Or you can buy now and defer your start date for up to 28 days.

    Q. Can I buy a learner driver insurance policy if there is no annual cover on the vehicle?

    Only if you are driving your own car. If you are using someone else’s car, an existing annual insurance policy must be in place for that vehicle for the duration of your RAC Learner Driver Insurance policy.

    Q. Do I need insurance to supervise a learner driver?

    Yes. To supervise a learner driver, the right insurance needs to be in place. If you’re taking them out in your car, check that your existing insurance policy covers learner drivers and that you meet the criteria to supervise a learner. If it doesn’t, there is the option to take out a separate learner insurance policy alongside any existing car insurance. This can protect your No Claims Discount should the learner have an incident whilst driving your car.

    Find out more about supervising a learner driver

    Q. Is driving without learner insurance illegal?

    Yes. You always need to have valid insurance in place before driving. If you’re taking professional lessons, you’ll almost always be covered by the driving instructor or driving school. However, if you’re learning privately, you’ll need to make sure you have provisional insurance in place. For driving your own car, you can take out specialist learner insurance. For driving someone else’s you can either be added as a named driver, if their policy covers learners, or take out a specific learner insurance policy. 

    Find out more about learner driver rules

    Q. Does learner insurance count as no claims?

    If the learner insurance policy is in your name and on your own vehicle, you can start to earn a No Claims Discount straight away. This can vary from provider to provider so check before you purchase.

    Q. Is learner insurance comprehensive?

    This can vary from policy to policy so check before you buy. RAC Learner Driver Insurance is comprehensive.

    Q. Can learner driver insurance be used to take my test?

    Yes, as long as you’re taking your test in the car specified on the learner insurance policy. But please remember that cover stops as soon as you pass your test. You’ll need to make alternative insurance arrangements to drive the car back from the test centre.

    Q. What happens to provisional insurance when you pass?

    Once you’ve passed your test, you’re a fully licensed driver and no longer a learner driver. With RAC Learner Driver Insurance this means that you won’t be covered to drive the car home from the test centre. You will need to arrange alternative insurance, even to drive back from the test centre. Remember it is illegal to drive without valid insurance.

    Learner Driver insurance policy FAQs

    Q. Does the accompanying driver have to be the vehicle’s owner?

    No, as long they are between the age of 25-75 and have held a full UK driving licence for at least 3 years. If you aren’t using your own car, you must have permission from the owner.

    Q. Can more than one learner driver be insured on the same car?

    Yes, but each learner driver will need to have a separate learner insurance policy.

    Q. Will it affect the car owner's no claims bonus if I claim?

    If you have RAC Learner Driver Insurance in place, then you can make a claim without it affecting the no claims discount of the car’s owner.

    Q. How do I contact the RAC about my learner insurance policy?

    More details on how to get in touch about your learner insurance policy can be found on our existing customer’s page.

    Q. How much does an RAC Learner Driver Insurance policy cost?

    Prices depend on the make and model of the vehicle, as well as your address, policy duration and payment method. It’s easy to get a quote here.

    Q. Will RAC Learner Driver Insurance cover me in my own car?

    Yes, it will. The vehicle doesn’t have to be insured annually, and there’s also no curfew, so you can drive at whatever time of day you like.

    Q. Will RAC Learner Driver Insurance cover me to drive a different vehicle?

    Yes, but you will need to buy a separate RAC Learner Driver policy for each car you wish to drive.

    Q. Am I covered to drive at any time day or night?

    RAC Learner Driver Insurance allows you to practice driving under supervision. That means you're only covered between 6am and midnight, even for emergencies. This restriction is there to reduce the risk of fraud and to keep our prices competitive for learner drivers.

    However, if you’re driving in your own car, this curfew doesn’t apply. You’ll be covered to drive at any time of day.

    Q. What if I cancel more than 14 days after the policy start date – can I get a refund?

    You’re entitled to cancel your policy at any time. As long as there haven’t been any claims, or incidents likely to lead to a claim, you’ll be entitled to a refund of unused premium.

    If you cancel the policy before cover has started, you’ll be entitled to a full refund of your premium. If you cancel the policy after cover has started, you’ll be entitled to a partial refund of premium. Please visit our Existing Customers page for further information.

    Q. Will my policy appear on the Motor Insurance Database (MID)?

    We guarantee to update the Motor Insurance Database (MID) every 7 days and in some cases more often, but we recommend always having a copy of your Insurance Certificate with you during the period of cover. You can drive the vehicle legally between the dates and times shown on the insurance certificate issued to you.