Driving advice for every country in Europe

Find up-to-date driving laws and advice for any country in Europe before you visit, including any accessories you may need to purchase. Don't forget the RAC provides European breakdown cover while you're driving in Europe.

Driving in Bosnia-Herzegovina

Population: 3.8m
Area: 51,197 sq km
Currency: Convertible mark

If you're driving in Bosnia-Herzegovina your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid, full UK driving licence 
  • An International Driving Permit - find out more here
  • A Green Card - it backs up your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover, you can get one from your insurance company
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate and V5 registration document or hire car paperwork
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down - two triangles if you're towing a trailer
  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A first aid kit
  • Winter tyres if you're travelling between 15 November - 15 April

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seatbelt at all times
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • A fire extinguisher

Other things you should know:

  • Not all insurers cover driving in Bosnia-Herzegovina so check before you go - if yours doesn't, you can buy temporary cover at all border posts except Neum
  • Petrol (leaded and unleaded), diesel and LPG are readily available
  • Children under the age of 5 must use an appropriate child seat
  • Children under age 12 can't sit in the front seat
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence, whilst driving through Bosnia-Herzegovina, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • The speed limit is 60kph in built-up areas, 80kph on open roads and 120kph on motorways, unless the signs say otherwise
  • The drink-driving limit is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood - lower than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml
  • Never go off-road in rural areas without an experienced guide - you run the risk of coming across landmines and unexploded devices
  • Anyone under the influence of alcohol can't sit in the front seat, even as a passenger
  • You must use dipped headlights at all times
  • It's a good idea to avoid driving at night, if you can, as many roads have no lighting
  • If you're involved in an accident, you must wait until the police arrive
  • On mountain roads, you have right of way going uphill
  • Trams on the left have priority
  • You must stop at pedestrian crossings, as soon as someone shows they want to cross

Useful numbers:

112 - Here's a really important bit of knowledge; you can dial 112 from anywhere in Europe and an operator will connect you to an emergency service in the country you're visiting. Operators can answer your call in their native language, English, and French. 

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

UK Government travel advice

See up-to-date travel advice


Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office, www.nationaldrivesafe.co.uk, www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk.
Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of May 2016 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.
*Price for 1 day cover for up to 9 people travelling in a vehicle up to 1 year old in Zone 1.
RAC European Breakdown cover arranged and administered by RAC Financial Services Limited (Registered No 05171817) and provided by RAC Insurance Ltd (Registered No 2355834). Registered in England; Registered Offices: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of insurance mediation activities. RAC Insurance Ltd is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

British Embassy Sarajevo

39a, Hamdije Cemerlica street
71000 Sarajevo
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Email: britemb@bih.net.ba

Telephone: +387 (0) 33 282 200

Fax: +387 (0) 33 282 203