Driving advice for every country in Europe

From required documents to European breakdown cover and vehicle accessories, find all the up-to-date driving laws and advice for every country in Europe in our travel guides.

Driving in Monaco

Population: 39,000
Area: 2 kilometres square
Currency: Euro (EUR) € = 100 cents
Perched on the glittering Mediterranean coast, Monaco is known as the playground of the rich and famous. And, being the home of a prestigious F1 Grand Prix, it’s likely you’ll see some mightily impressive motors there.

If you’re planning your own road trip to Monaco, it’s essential you’re fully prepared ahead of time as driving there has many differences to the UK. 

To make your trip to the glamorous principality as safe and effortless as possible, we’ve put together a guide to everything you need to know before you go, from required documents to rules of the road.  

Driving a rented vehicle? Jump to the advice for driving a hire car in Monaco section.

RAC European Breakdown Cover (Basic and Comprehensive) provides a wide range of benefits should you breakdown in Monaco (or in nearby France) to ensure you stay safe. 

To supplement this, RAC also offers travel insurance. Cover will include medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings, among many other benefits.


Need short-term car insurance for your vehicle? Our temporary cover is perfect if you're looking for flexible insurance for between 1 hour and 30 days.

FREE car health check*

FREE car health check*

For a limited time, get FREE car health check with European breakdown cover.

FREE car health check*

Things to take when driving in Monaco

rac monaco

Documents for driving in Monaco

  • A valid, full UK driving licence (you must also be 18 or over)
  • A GB sticker (unless your car is equipped with EU number plates showing the country code in a circle of 12 gold stars on a blue background) 
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • The V5 registration document for your own car or the hire car paperwork for a rental

ETIAS – 2024

ETIAS stands for the European Travel Information and Authorisation System. It is a visa program for visitors who don’t need a Schengen visa, who want to travel to the European Union and a few other European countries.

Visitors who purchase an ETIAS will be able to enter the 26 member states of the Schengen Zone as well as Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania.

This will be launching in 2024. Learn more about ETIAS here.

Although this does not impact travelling in Monaco, many of its neighbours will need an ETIAS. So, if you are driving across Europe, make sure you have your relevant paperwork.

Driving in Monaco packing checklist

Aside from the documents above, there are some legally-required items you must bring with you to drive in Monaco.

Unless your headlights can be adjusted, it's a legal requirement to carry headlamp converters (stickers for your headlights when driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way).

A warning triangle is also compulsory to carry in vehicles in case of a breakdown.

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seat belt at all times
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle
  • Ensure your car is covered by third-party insurance recognised in Monaco. This is the legal minimum cover for residents and visitors, so check with your provider before you travel

It's also recommended to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A fire extinguisher 
  • A first-aid kit
  • A reflective jacket
  • A Green Card (this is no longer a requirement, but it could be useful to back-up your insurance documents and show you've got the minimum legal level of cover. To find out more, contact your insurance company)

You can pick up all the car kit you need from RAC Shop.

Rules of the road in Monaco

rac monaco

Monégasque driving doesn't differ too much from what we're used to in the UK (aside from driving on the right), but here are some general tips to make sure you're prepared.

  • In Monaco, you drive on the right and overtake on the left. Vehicles from the right and emergency vehicles have priority
  • In built-up areas, you can only use your horn in cases of immediate danger
  • Driving with dipped headlights on during the day is recommended but not compulsory
  • You won’t have to pay any tolls when driving through Monaco
  • Unleaded petrol and diesel are readily available, as is LPG. If your car runs on leaded, look for ‘supercarburant’, a lead replacement petrol. Most filling stations accept credit cards
  • If you're caught committing a motoring offence while driving through Monaco, you could be given an on-the-spot fine of up to €750
  • Seat belts should be worn in all seats where a belt is available
  • Children under the age of 10 are not allowed to travel in the front seat without using a special child restraint
  • The drink-drive limit in Monaco is 0.05%, the same as in France. For novice drivers with less than 3 years’ experience, the limit is 0.02%. The police may ask you to undergo a random breath test
  • Monaco’s car parks are underground, with most charging to use them. Vehicles parked illegally may be towed away and impounded

Monégasque speed limits

The speed limit within Monaco is 50km/h unless otherwise indicated by signs 

Other things you should know when driving in Monaco

In an emergency

112 - Here's a really important bit of knowledge; you can dial 112 from anywhere in Europe and an operator will connect you to an emergency service in the country you're visiting.

Operators can answer your call in their native language, English or French.

Breaking down in Monaco

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs, even if your only there for a short spell. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Driving a hire car in Monaco

Not all of the information in the guide above will be relevant to those looking to rent a hire car in Monaco.

Though it might be a good idea to read through everything anyway, here are the most important things to know for drivers of rental vehicles:

Rental information

  • The minimum age to hire a car is 18, although it's best to check with your provider beforehand
  • You need a full, valid UK driving licence and usually a second proof of ID (passport)
  • Some car rental companies ask that you have held your licence for a minimum term - check with your hire company first
  • Most companies require you to use a credit card for deposit
  • You may not be able to drive outside of Monaco unless planned in advance - check with your hire company first
  • Make sure you get car hire excess insurance before your trip to protect yourself from unexpected costs. It's almost always cheaper to do this with a separate insurer and in advance

Hire car driving tips

  • The Monégasque drive on the right and overtake on the left - the opposite to the UK
  • The national speed limit in Monaco is 50km/h, unless otherwise indicated by roadside signs
  • Dial 112 in an emergency
  • It’s compulsory to wear seat belts in the front and rear seats
  • The blood alcohol content limit for drivers of private vehicles is 0.05%. That's lower than the 0.08% in England Wales and Northern Ireland, but the same as Scotland.

Car hire excess cover

Protect yourself from unexpected excess costs when hiring a car.

Car hire excess cover
Car hire excess cover

Driving in Monaco FAQs

  • Is it safe to drive in Monaco?

    Yes, Monaco is one of the safest places in the world and the roads are in excellent condition. Because it’s a popular place to visit, be prepared for congestion when you’re approaching and leaving the principality.

    As with driving in any foreign country, it’s important to familiarise yourself with the law to ensure you stay safe on the roads.

  • Can you drive in Monaco with a UK licence?

    Yes. You can legally drive in Monaco with a full and valid UK driving licence. In addition to this, International Driving Permits are also recognised but not required.

  • Can you drive in Monte Carlo?

    Yes, although it can be a bit daunting because of the heavy traffic in the city centre. The roads are well signposted though, and you might even find yourself driving alongside some of the most expensive vehicles in the world.

    While Monte Carlo might have a reputation for speed, don’t get carried away thinking you’re Lewis Hamilton. The city’s speed limits are strictly enforced.

  • Do I need a green card to drive in Monaco?

    It’s not essential to carry a green card to drive in Monaco, but it can be useful as it proves you have at least the minimum compulsory third-party insurance cover required when driving in Europe.

    Before setting off, you should check with your insurance provider that your policy will cover you in all countries you plan to visit.

  • What side of the road do they drive on in Monaco?

    Like most of continental Europe, motorists drive on the right-hand side of the road in Monaco.

  • Do I need a GB/UK sticker for Monaco?

    You will need to display a UK sticker on the rear of your car. GB stickers have been discontinued.

  • Can I drive my car in Monaco?

    Yes, although sometimes it’s easier just to walk once you’ve arrived in the country as you may struggle to find a parking space.

    Before driving to Monaco, you should ensure you have all the required legal documents and items needed for your journey (such as a warning triangle, reflective jacket and at least third-party insurance cover) as well as for any other country you’re planning to drive through.

  • How do I drive to Monaco?

    Getting to Monaco by car from the UK involves a long drive down through France, which is likely to involve toll roads. Firstly, you’ll need to take your car across the Channel to Calais on either the Eurotunnel from Folkestone or a ferry from Dover.

    Once you’re in Calais, head south on the A26 via Reims. Then drive towards Lyon, before taking the A8 to Nice, which is just to the west of Monaco. There are no border controls between France and Monaco, so you shouldn’t have any problems entering the country. The drive from Calais to Monte Carlo takes around 11 hours non-stop.

  • What age can you start driving in Monaco?

    To legally drive in Monaco, you must be 18 years or older and in possession of a full valid driving licence.

  • Are there toll roads in Monaco?

    There are no toll roads in Monaco itself, but if you’re driving into the country from France, you will have to pay to use the motorways. The road leading to Monaco – the A8 – has a charge, with the toll shown at the entrance to the gates. Toll fees can be paid either in cash or by credit card.

UK Government travel advice

See up-to-date travel advice

Information in this guide is subject to change

There’s no resident British diplomatic mission in Monaco. If you need urgent consular assistance, contact the British Consulate in Marseille.

British Consulate Marseille

British Consulate Marseille
3rd Floor
Entrée 1
24, Avenue du Prado
13006 Marseille

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: +33 (0) 4 91 15 72 10

Fax: +33 (0) 4 91 37 47 06

*Ends 13/12/23. 9am. Bookings subject to garage availability.