Family Breakdown Cover

Cover up to 5 people on a single policy

Get a quote   

Family breakdown cover

Family breakdown cover lets you cover multiple people who live together on the same policy. This could include partners, family members, housemates and children – even if they’re living away from home temporarily (for example, if they’re a student at university). 

With the RAC you can cover up to 5 people on a single policy. Each person will have the same level of cover, and they’ll be covered as a driver or passenger in any vehicle.     

Key points

  • You can cover up to 5 people on the same policy – just choose ‘personal cover’ and select the number of people you need to cover
  • Everyone on the policy needs to live at the same address – although you can cover children if they’re temporarily living away from home
  • Everyone on the policy will have the same level of cover

What’s included in family breakdown cover?

With the RAC, you can choose between Standard, Advanced or Ultimate. Each cover level includes roadside and home rescue, plus some level of garage support and alternative transport (also known as ‘onward travel’)

Each person named on your family breakdown cover policy will have the same level of cover. So it’s important to think carefully about how much cover you all need. 

Additional cover

For extra reassurance, you can add extra cover to your family breakdown cover. We offer the add-ons shown below – just remember that some of these can only be applied to 1 vehicle. 

  • Key Replace - If your car or house keys are lost, stolen or accidentally broken, you’ll get up to £1,500 towards new ones.
  • Battery Replace - If your battery goes flat and can’t be recharged, you’ll get a new battery worth up to £600. You’ll need to nominate a vehicle to apply this add-on to. 
  • Tyre Replace - If you get a flat or damaged tyre, you’ll get up to £150 per tyre to replace it. You’ll need to nominate a vehicle to apply this add-on to.

How to get family breakdown cover

When you buy our breakdown cover, you’ll be asked which type of cover you’d like. To cover multiple people, just choose ‘personal cover’ let us know how many people you’d like to cover. 

Next, you can choose the level of cover you need. We offer a choice between Standard, Advanced or Ultimate. And remember, every person on your policy will have the same level of cover. 

Ready to get started? Get a quote for family breakdown cover.


Q. Do we need to live together to get a family policy?
Yes, we only offer family breakdown cover to people living in the same household. You don’t need to be related, but you do need to live at the same address.
Q. Will we be covered if we breakdown in someone else's car?
Yes, as long as you choose personal breakdown cover. Everyone named on your policy will be covered on a personal basis, so they’ll be covered in any vehicle as a driver or passenger.
Q. How many times can we claim on a family policy?
The number of callouts you have depends on the level of cover you choose. With Standard, you’ll have up to 3 callouts a year. With Advanced and Ultimate, you’ll have unlimited callouts – as long as it’s not for a recurring problem.
Q. Can I pay monthly for family breakdown cover?
Yes, you pay for your family breakdown cover every month rather than one upfront payment. Just select the right option for you when buying your breakdown cover.
Q. Do the breakdown vans have child seats?
Our breakdown patrol vans do not carry child seats. If you break down with children in the car, the RAC would use child seats from your own vehicle.
Q. Are my children covered as learner drivers?

Yes. Learner drivers are covered if the child or children are covered under personal breakdown membership or vehicle-based membership.

RAC Learner Driver Insurance offers flexible short term cover for provisional licence holders. Cover is available from 2 hours to 5 months, so you only pay for what you need.

Q. Can I add motorbikes to my family cover?

Personal breakdown cover covers each individual on your policy.

If you take out personal breakdown cover, each named member included in family cover is covered on any vehicle they drive. Read more information about motorbike breakdown cover. Read more about motorbike breakdown cover. The RAC provides the same level of cover to motorbikes as it does for cars.

Q. Am I covered in the event of an accident?

Accident Care is included as a benefit at no additional charge. If you’re in a road traffic accident or collision, we may be able to help with post-accident assistance.

Just call us on 0333 2000 999 and we can help with recovery advice.

Find out more

Find all the information you need to have a better understanding of the different levels of cover that the RAC have on offer


Many vehicle breakdowns happen at home - but with RAC At Home Cover you can get on with your day quickly again.


If your vehicle breaks down miles away from home, National Recovery cover from the RAC could prove invaluable - find out more here


If your vehicle cannot be fixed at the side of the road, our vehicle recovery service will transport it to either a garage or back to your home address


If your vehicle can't be fixed in the same day after a breakdown, RAC's onward travel product helps you to make alternative travel plans to continue your journey.


Vehicle Breakdown Cover can be a great value option if you’re looking for cheap breakdown cover - this guide from the RAC looks at the benefits of it.


Personal Breakdown Cover can give you peace of mind in whatever vehicle you’re driving or travelling in as a passenger, as this guide from the RAC explains.


Multi-car breakdown cover enables you to get breakdown cover for several vehicles under one policy.


Find out more about our offering for electric and hybrid vehicles here.

Compare breakdown

Compare breakdown cover from the RAC and other providers to help you understand the differences in service, coverage, optional extras and reliability.


This guide compares the RAC, one of the UK’s major breakdown cover companies, with AA, to see how it compares for level of cover, pricing and customer reviews.


This guide compares the RAC, one of the UK’s major breakdown cover companies, with Green Flag, to see how it compares for level of cover, pricing and customer reviews.


The RAC and Rescuemycar are both UK car breakdown providers, but how do their levels of cover, prices and customer reviews compare?


The RAC is one of the UK’s leading providers of breakdown cover and vehicle recovery, but how does it compare to StartRescue?


This guide compares the RAC, one of the UK’s major breakdown cover companies, with Emergency Assist, to see how it compares for level of cover and pricing.


How does the RAC compare with Direct Line, when it comes to providing breakdown cover services? This guide takes a look at prices, level of cover and customer reviews.


If you’re searching for the best breakdown cover deal, using a comparison service can really help - here are some useful tips to consider before you start your search.

Additional cover

Our breakdown patrol will know you're a blue badge holder before they reach you.


Keep your business moving with tailored breakdown assistance for 1 to 100+ vehicles.


The Camping and Caravanning Club's breakdown and recovery scheme provided by RAC.


RAC European Breakdown Cover provides you with peace of mind and comprehensive single-trip or annual cover you can rely on during your holidays.


Punctures, battery problems, non-starts and cut-outs are all covered. We'll even come out if you run out of fuel.


Put the wrong fuel in your car? Don't panic. Call us now for our Fuel Drain Service.

Driving hints and tips

Before buying breakdown cover, it’s useful to read reviews. Check out the RAC’s score on Trustpilot.


Find the answers to a range of breakdown related question covering both UK, European and Business Breakdown cover


Not sure what that light on your dashboard means? View our guide and easily identify what that warning light means


More and more new cars are being built without space for a spare wheel. Find out how we have used innovation to overcome this problem


Modern cars are now equipped with a sophisticated electronic management system, find out how we overcome this to detect a fault with your car