Driving advice for every country in Europe

Find up-to-date driving laws and advice for any country in Europe before you visit, including any accessories you may need to purchase. Don't forget the RAC provides European breakdown cover while you're driving in Europe.

Driving in Malta

Population: 445,426
Area: 316 sq. Km
Currency: Euro

If you're driving in Malta your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence. 
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background).
  • Your motor insurance certificate.
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down.

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over.
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seatbelt at all times.
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle.

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights.
  • A fire extinguisher.
  • A first aid kit.
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company.

Other things you should know:

  • Malta drive on the left-hand side of the road.
  • You won't have to pay any tolls.
  • Petrol (leaded and unleaded) and diesel are readily available. You can't get LPG.
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas and 80kph on open roads. There are no motorways in Malta.
  • The drink driving limit is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood - the same as the UK limit.
  • You shouldn't use your horn in built-up areas between 11pm-6am, when driving through Malta.
  • Children under age 3 must use a suitable child restraint. Children aged 3-12 should use one where available but can use an adult seat belt if not.
  • Local drivers don't usually indicate when changing lanes.
  • If you're bringing your own car to Malta, you'll need a permit to enter the capital, Valetta - or you can use the 'Park & Ride' service.

Useful numbers:

112 - Here's a really important bit of knowledge; you can dial 112 from anywhere in Europe and an operator will connect you to an emergency service in the country you're visiting. Operators can answer your call in their native language, English, and French. 

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

UK Government travel advice

See up-to-date travel advice


Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of May 2016 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.
*Price for 1 day cover for up to 9 people travelling in a vehicle up to 1 year old in Zone 1.
RAC European Breakdown cover arranged and administered by RAC Financial Services Limited (Registered No 05171817) and provided by RAC Insurance Ltd (Registered No 2355834). Registered in England; Registered Offices: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of insurance mediation activities. RAC Insurance Ltd is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

British High Commission Malta

Whitehall Mansions, Ta’ Xbiex Seafront 
Ta’ Xbiex
XBX 1026

Email: bhcvalletta@fco.gov.uk

Telephone: (+356) 2323 0000

Fax: political section (+356) 2323 2216

Fax: consular section (+356) 2323 2234

Fax: corporate services (+356) 2323 2269