Don't get left out in the cold, get

breakdown cover

with FREE At Home and FREE Key replace *

Selected cover levels. New customers only.

  • Choose your cover type
  • Build your cover
  • Confirm
  • Checkout

Personal Breakdown cover

The peace of mind that you're covered in any vehicle as a driver or a passenger

  • Roadside cover - Included as standard with the option to add more cover if you need it, including FREE At Home & Key Replace. Cover available for up to 5 people.
monthly cover
£59 annual cover

Vehicle Breakdown cover

Your vehicle is covered whoever is driving

  • Roadside cover - Included as standard with the option to add more cover if you need it, including FREE At Home & Key Replace. Cover available for up to 3 vehicles.
monthly cover
£40 annual cover

What our Members say

5 Star UK Breakdown Cover

RAC Roadside, Recovery, At Home and Replacement Hire Car breakdown cover has been awarded a 5 star rating by Defaqto.

Our breakdown patrol will know you're a blue badge holder before they reach you.


Keep your business moving with tailored breakdown assistance for 1 to 100+ vehicles.


The Camping and Caravanning Club's breakdown and recovery scheme provided by RAC.


Punctures, battery problems, non-starts and cut-outs are all covered. We'll even come out if you run out of fuel.


Put the wrong fuel in your car? Don't panic. Call us now for our Fuel Drain Service.


Want to get the most out of your breakdown cover? Check out some of our optional extras here.


If your vehicle breaks down miles away from home, National Recovery cover from the RAC could prove invaluable - find out more here


If your vehicle cannot be fixed at the side of the road, our vehicle recovery service will transport it to either a garage or back to your home address


Get outstanding roadside cover with a wealth of additional extras with the RAC. We fix four out of five vehicles at the side of the road.


The RAC are proud to boast a higher Trustpilot score than their main competitors - read live reviews and feedback on their 5 Star Defaqto rated cover.


Car rescue insurance from the RAC starting from £4.50 a month. Our patrols fix 4 out of 5 cars at the roadside in just 30 minutes on average.


Breakdown cover deals from the RAC. Find the best deals on both personal and vehicle cover, plus any exciting seasonal promotions.

Compare Breakdown Cover

This guide compares the RAC, one of the UK’s major breakdown cover companies, with AA, to see how it compares for level of cover, pricing and customer reviews.


This guide compares the RAC, one of the UK’s major breakdown cover companies, with Green Flag, to see how it compares for level of cover, pricing and customer reviews.


The RAC and Rescuemycar are both UK car breakdown providers, but how do their levels of cover, prices and customer reviews compare?


The RAC is one of the UK’s leading providers of breakdown cover and vehicle recovery, but how does it compare to StartRescue?


How does the RAC compare with Direct Line, when it comes to providing breakdown cover services? This guide takes a look at prices, level of cover and customer reviews.


If you’re searching for the best breakdown cover deal, using a comparison service can really help - here are some useful tips to consider before you start your search.

Driving hints and tips

Find all the information you need to have a better understanding of the different levels of cover that the RAC have on offer


Find the answers to a range of breakdown related question covering both UK, European and Business Breakdown cover


Not sure what that light on your dashboard means? View our guide and easily identify what that warning light means


Not sure what to do if your car comes to an unexpected stop? Read our advice on what you should do after your car has broken down


Follow our 10 simple steps to help avoid a car breakdown. All of the tips are simple and can be done with very little car knowledge


More and more new cars are being built without space for a spare wheel. Find out how we have used innovation to overcome this problem


Find out what steps you should take if your vehicle breaks down on a motorway, including guidance from the Highway Code


Here are our top 10 tips on how to spot a car breakdown and the best way to deal with each eventuality


Modern cars are now equipped with a sophisticated electronic management system, find out how we overcome this to detect a fault with your car


More information on UK Breakdown Cover

RAC Car Breakdown Cover will get you back on the road. Fast. And did you know, the RAC can come to your rescue if you have an accident. Already a member? Existing members can take advantage of great Member Benefits with their car breakdown cover.

RAC Breakdown patrols fix 4 out of 5 vehicles at the roadside. UK Breakdown Cover membership starts from just £4.50 a month for roadside assistance. Options also include National Recovery, At Home Breakdown Cover and Onward Travel. You can tailor your cover for your vehicle, for you or for your family.

We know you want great value cover from a name you can trust, which is why our cheap breakdown cover starts from just £4.50 a month. Why not compare breakdown cover and see if another breakdown provider can offer all this.

In addition to providing roadside assistance for your car, we offer Motorbike Breakdown Cover, which starts from just £4.50 a month. We also provide European Breakdown Cover to give you peace of mind whilst on your holiday road-trip, from Short or Single Trip cover to our Comprehensive 5 Star Defaqto-rated cover.

Already broken down?

If you've currently broken down contact us on 0333 2000 999.
This can be used by both RAC Members and non-members.

Breakdown FAQs

Breakdown cover provides help and support if your vehicle breaks down when you're out on the road. There are different levels of  cover but most companies offer roadside assistance as standard - which means a trained mechanic will assist you if you break down away from your home.

If your vehicle cannot be fixed at the roadside, it will usually be towed to a garage for further repairs.

Q. Why do I need breakdown cover?

Breakdown cover provides peace of mind when you are out on the road. It's very difficult to predict when you might suffer a vehicle breakdown - it can happen on your driveway before you leave for work in the morning, or while driving on the motorway en route to the airport for a holiday with the family. What is more or less certain is that breakdowns cause frustration, inconvenience and cost - your journey will be interrupted and you will need to pay to rectify any immediate issues. Breakdown cover won't pay for all the repairs but will help you to get your vehicle running again by providing roadside assistance or roadside recovery.

Q. What level of breakdown cover do I need?

There are many different types of breakdown cover available from the RAC, and you should carefully consider your own requirements when you compare breakdown cover.

Our cover options include:

Recovery: We'll take you, up to eight passengers, and your vehicle to a destination of your choice anywhere within the UK mainland.

At Home: Means we'll attend to your vehicle if it breaks down within a quarter of a mile from your home address.

Onward Travel: An option that includes the provision of a courtesy car as a means of alternative transport for you and any passengers or the option of overnight accommodation or journey continuation.

Other breakdown extras: Including Battery Rescue, Key Replace, Tyre rescue and European Rescue are also available.

Q. How quickly can you reach me?
Our roadside recovery record is excellent. RAC patrols fix four out of five vehicles when they're called out for roadside assistance and within an average of 30 minutes. Our recovery services aim to reach you quickly and get you back on the road quickly too.
Q. Do all vehicles or members on a policy have to be at the same address?
Not necessarily. If you have joint or household cover then it covers any named people who live at the address permanently - which could include someone who is away studying at university, or someone who is in the armed forces.
Q. What if I use my car for business?
If you use your car for business then take a look at RAC Business Cover. This provides more details regarding vehicle breakdown cover for heavy goods vehicles, driving instructors, taxi drivers and other commercial vehicles.
Q. Is roadside assistance included?
Roadside assistance, also known as Roadside Rescue - is included as standard in all our breakdown policies. This means we offer 24/7 breakdown cover; we'll fix your vehicle at the roadside provided you're a quarter of a mile away from home address. On average our roadside recovery RAC patrols fix four out of five cars within 30 minutes but if your vehicle cannot be fixed at the roadside our Roadside Rescue cover includes a ten-mile tow to a destination you choose. This could either be to a local garage, back home, or to a place of safety.
Q. What is personal cover?

Personal cover means you’re covered as a driver or a passenger in any eligible vehicle, so if you're in that vehicle and it breaks down, you're covered. Whereas Vehicle cover is for the vehicle you specify and will cover anyone authorised to drive this shoold the vehicle breakdown.

When researching breakdown quotes you'll have the option of comparing breakdown cover on a personal basis or on a vehicle basis. 

Q. Is cheap breakdown cover worth it?
When comparing breakdown cover you'll be looking for the cheapest breakdown cover possible - that's understandable. What should be equally important to you is making sure you consider breakdown policies that suit you and your driving lifestyle, and that you're adequately covered in the unfortunate event of breakdowns. The RAC does offer cheap breakdown cover from just £4.50 a month - this includes roadside assistance. You can build up your level of cover by adding other options such as At Home, Onward Travel and Roadside Recovery.
Q. Will you attend if I'm the passenger?
If you have personal-based membership you will be covered for roadside assistance if the vehicle you're travelling in breaks down. We also offer joint membership, which covers you and one other named member as a driver or passenger in any car. Family membership covers you and four named members of your household as a driver or passenger in any vehicle.
Q. Am I charged for callouts?
If you are an RAC member and have taken out one of our UK breakdown policies then you won't be charged for callouts. If you don't have breakdown cover with the RAC you can still call us if you need roadside recovery or roadside assistance, but there will be an emergency callout charge. You will be charged for call outs if you exceed your call out limit.
Q. Will you cover my vehicle?

If you have personal-based membership you will be covered for roadside assistance if the vehicle you're travelling in breaks down. We also offer joint membership, which covers you and one other named member as a driver or passenger in any vehicle. Family membership covers you and four named members of your household as a driver or passenger in any vehicle.

Q. What RAC member benefits are there?
We like to reward our members - as such, RAC Member Benefits provides a range of exclusive offers. These include deals on car hire, airport hotels and parking, hotel stays, tickets for days out and more. When you're comparing breakdown cover don't forget that we offer extra value through these discounts and benefits.
Q. How far will you tow my car?

This depends on which of our breakdown policies you have so bear this is mind when comparing breakdown cover. If you have roadside assistance and we can't fix your vehicle, we will tow it for up to ten miles to either a local garage or a chosen address.

If your policy has the roadside recovery option and it can't be fixed, we'll tow it to anywhere in the UK, providing you breakdown down more than 1/4 mile from your home.

The RAC Difference

92% of our members would recommend RAC breakdown cover to their friends and family because of the RAC Difference.

  1. Our Patrols fix 4 out of 5 cars at the roadside in just 30 minutes on average
  2. All our Patrol vans carry over 500 parts and tools - so we bring the garage to you
  3. Attach the RAC fob to your keys and if you lose them we will let you know if they have been found.
  4. RAC Breakdown Cover has been awarded a 5-Star rating by Defaqto
  5. We’ll also recover you if you’re involved in an accident
  6. As the UK’s most experienced provider we've been championing motorists for 120 years

Important Information:

* Offer Terms and Conditions

  1. Free At Home and Free Key Replace available to new RAC members only and will become chargeable after the initial free period, which is:
    • For monthly policies: each month you keep your policy, up to a maximum of 12 continuous months.
    • For annual policies: for the first year only. 
  2. Applicable to selected Personal and Vehicle based cover:
    • Free At Home with Roadside & Recovery or Roadside, Recovery and Onward Travel.
    • Free Key Replace with Roadside, Recovery, At Home and Onward Travel.
  3. You must purchase RAC Breakdown cover direct from RAC by visiting  
  4. Not available to members amending or renewing an existing policy or on purchases during a breakdown situation.
  5. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and may be withdrawn at any time.
  6. Excludes membership purchased via cash back sites and voucher code sites, with the exception of Quidco and TopCashback.
  7. No cash or other alternatives available.
  8. Excludes RAC Response (Blue Badge membership).

The RAC will seek to recoup the cost of recovery from your insurer/3rd party insurer. You may be asked to pay if this isn’t possible

Breakdown cover arranged and administered by RAC Financial Services Limited (Registered No 05171817) and provided by RAC Motoring Services (Registered No 01424399) and/or RAC Insurance Ltd (Registered No 2355834). Registered in England; Registered Offices: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW. RAC Motoring Services and RAC Financial Services Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of insurance mediation activities. RAC Insurance Ltd is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

© 2019 RAC Motoring Services. All rights reserved.