RAC Contents Insurance

Extensive cover for household items

Get a quote   
Retrieve a quote   

Contents Insurance

No one likes the thought of their property being damaged or stolen. Contents insurance offers you financial security should something unforeseen happen to your possessions.

RAC contents insurance gives you the reassurance that your personal belongings are financially covered in the event of incidents that are not your fault, including fire, flood, storm, theft or escape of water from burst pipes.

At RAC we offer buildings and contents insurance which can be bought separately, or as a joint policy.

Rely on us to deal with your claim quickly and fairly

New for old cover as standard*

Protect your contents against damage caused by fire, theft or flooding

Why choose RAC home contents insurance?

24/7 claims helpline – in event of a claim, let us 
help put things right
Manage your policy online – no fuss, no phone 
call needed and open 24/7
Tailor your policy to suit your needs with our 
range of optional extras

What’s included in RAC standard contents insurance?

Contents insurance covers your possessions inside your property. Our standard RAC home contents insurance includes:

 New for old cover – if you make a valid claim for a lost, stolen or damaged item as covered by your policy, we’ll pay the cost of replacing the item with its new equivalent
 Garden cover  covering outside contents inc. garden furniture and BBQs that are stolen or damaged
 Money cover – from £500
 You can add specific items to your policy if you want the added reassurance that these are covered

Optional extras

Sometimes you need that little bit extra. With our RAC home contents insurance you have the option to add extra protection for just a few pounds more a month. Read more about our range of optional extras

What about Buildings Insurance?

There are different types of home insurance that we can provide. RAC Buildings Insurance, RAC Contents Insurance and buildings and contents combined insurance. 

Buildings insurance financially covers you for the repair of the structural damage to your property, including the walls, roof, floors, doors and windows. It also includes outbuilding, sheds and greenhouses, as well as permanent fixtures such as bathroom suites, sinks and fitted kitchens. 

Find out more about buildings insurance here.

For all the information you need to make a claim, amend your policy and retrieve a quote.


If your contents are stolen, damaged or lost, don’t panic, our expert team are happy to help.


Take a look at our extensive glossary of terms that’ll help you understand your RAC Home Insurance Policy.


Frequently Asked Questions about contents insurance

Q. What do I need to provide to get a home contents insurance quote?

You’ll need to share some basic personal details and details about the property you wish to insure. As well as the address and postcode, you’ll need to provide information on the size and age of the property, as well as the level of security and the total value of contents you wish to cover.

Q. How long does it take to get a quote

It’s quick and easy to get a contents insurance quote online. Just input your details into the online quote form to receive your contents quote.

Q. How much contents cover do I need?

It’s important that you don’t underestimate the value of your contents as you could lose out on a lot of money. For example, if you only insure half your possessions but you experience a flood or fire, your insurer may only pay out for half the value of the claim.

Try to be as accurate as you can when valuing your home contents. Be sure to weigh up the cost of your clothing, artwork, jewellery, electrical equipment, big kitchen items and furniture. Make a note of any high risk, desirable items and if you’re unsure of what to include, call our insurance team on 0333 070 2666.

Q. What isn’t covered by contents insurance?

There are significant exclusions to a standard contents cover, including:

  • Loss or damage by livestock or pets
  • Loss or damage that occurs during any period where the home is unoccupied for longer than the permitted period
  • Loss or damage caused by water overflowing as a result of taps being left on, unless you have accidental cover
  • Damage caused by yourself, domestic pets, your domestic employees, lodgers, paying guests or tenants
  • Damage to trees or branches or the surrounding area due to branches being cut-back

Further details of cover and exclusions can be found in your Policy Wording.

Q. Do I need contents insurance in a rented property?
If you’re in a rented property, your personal belongings are your responsibility, so you may want to financially protect yourself with a sufficient amount of insurance in place. The building and permanent fixtures inside the building are your landlord’s responsibility. This means you won’t need to get individual building insurance unless your rental agreement stipulates that it is required.
Q. Is there a No Claims discount?
Like most of our insurance policies, we may offer a discount to policyholders who haven’t made a claim on their insurance. However, please be aware that it’s not a certainty that you’ll receive a discount when your policy is up for renewal.