Read our response to COVID-19 here.

Travel Insurance with Covid-19 cover

Includes trip cancellation and curtailment

Get a quote   

Travel Insurance

Foreign travel advice

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has announced a list of countries that are exempt from its advice against all non-essential overseas travel. You can find the list of exempt countries here.

It is essential that you check the latest FCO advice for your destination when you travel. Our travel insurance policies do not cover travel undertaken to an area where the FCO advise against all or all but essential travel.

We’re currently experiencing high call volumes so it may take us longer than usual to answer your call. If you have any questions, we recommend that you check our FAQs section first before calling us. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.

Travel Insurance with Covid-19 cover

Due to the government's coronavirus travel restrictions, the earliest start date for new single trip policies will be the 17th May 2021 onwards.

For customers purchasing an annual multi trip policy, there is no cover for travel prior to the 17th May 2021 unless non-essential International travel is permitted before this date.

Please continue to check our FAQ's regularly which will contain the latest guidance, including any additional advice around travelling from 17th May.

For existing customers, you can click here to manage your policy.

Please always check your policy schedule alongside your terms and conditions, as our policy coverages have changed since the COVID-19 outbreak, depending upon when you purchased your policy.

New policies sold from the 30th September 2020 include the following coverages as standard;

  • Cancellation cover if you have a diagnosis of Covid-19 within 14 days of your booked departure date
  • Cover for emergency medical treatment and repatriation if you contract Covid-19 while abroad
  • Unlimited medical expenses if you choose Platinum cover

Please check the latest Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice before travelling. Our Travel Insurance policies do not cover travel undertaken to an area where the FCO advise against all or all but essential travel.

For further information read our COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

Whether you're heading for seven days in the sun or seven days on the slopes, travel insurance should be high on the list of important items to take with you, along with your passport and spending money. It provides a financial safety net should you need help with things like damaged possessions, hospital bills or cancelled trips, all of which can be expensive.
RAC Travel Insurance offers cover for single trips, as well as annual multi trip cover if you like to holiday more than once a year. If you have any questions about our cover levels visit our online FAQs or glossary of terms for more help.

All of our policies provide cover for trip cancellation, medical expenses and personal belongings, and there is a range of additional covers you can add for winter sports, cruises and weddings. 

Existing customers looking to amend their policy or make a claim can do so by calling our friendly team.

Emergency medical expenses and 24/7 helpline

Lost and delayed luggage

Airline failure and cancellations

Or phone us for a quote on 0330 159 0412

Lines open Monday to Friday, 09:00-17:00, Saturday 09:00-17:00 and closed Sundays.

Heading to the slopes this winter? Don’t forget RAC Winter Sports cover

What if your ski equipment is lost, stolen, damaged or delayed by your airline? Add our Winter Sports cover to your policy and we’ll make sure you stay  on the slopes! We’ll also provide cover for piste closure, unused lift passes/hire equipment due to illness or injury, and accommodation benefit if yours is adversely affected by avalanche or landslide.

See our Winter Sports page for more details on what this covers.

Our cover levels

We’ve got three levels of cover available with varying benefits, so you can find the right cover to suit your needs.

Orange Cover Silver Cover Black Cover
£3,000 cancellation cover £5,000 cancellation cover £7,500 cancellation cover
£10m emergency medical expenses £15m emergency medical expenses Unlimited emergency medical expenses
£1,250 for personal belongings £2,000 for personal belongings £3,000 for personal belongings
£500 hospital benefit
(max £20 per day)
£1,500 hospital benefit
(max £50 per day)
£2,000 hospital benefit
(max £50 per day)
£250 gadget cover £250 gadget cover £500 gadget cover
£400 personal money £500 personal money £750 personal money
£50,000 legal expenses £50,000 legal expenses £50,000 legal expenses

Why choose RAC Travel Insurance?

At the RAC we want to ensure that you’re looked after every step of the way when you go on holiday. Whether it’s making sure you’re covered for medical expenses, helping with the costs of lost baggage or assisting with the hassle of disrupted travel arrangements, we’ve got you covered should anything go wrong.

Our friendly team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for emergency medical assistance. This means you can relax and enjoy your holiday, safe in the knowledge that we’re here to provide the help you need, when you need it.

Or phone us for a quote on 0330 159 0405

Lines are open Monday - Friday 09:00 - 17:00.

RAC Member and Car Insurance policyholder discount^

RAC members and RAC Car Insurance policyholders save 10% on Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip policies with RAC Travel Insurance. Enter or quote your membership or policy number at the time of purchase and we'll automatically apply your discount.

Travel advice before you leave

Before travelling, we advise that you check our Travel Advice page as this will provide you with information from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office regarding any worldwide concerns which may affect your travel, and your policy.

Important information regarding electronic device luggage restrictions

Read our guide about what to do if you're already abroad or yet to travel with the Thomas Cook Group.


If you have a query about your policy, would like to renew or make a claim, find all the contact details here


If you have a query regarding RAC Travel Insurance, read our frequently asked questions


An extensive glossary of all the terms relevant to your RAC Travel Insurance policy

We also cover

We’ve got three levels of annual cover available with varying benefits, so you’ll be able to find the right cover to suit you


RAC Travel Insurance will make sure that you have cover for the whole family when you go away


We want you to be able to relax on your holiday, so we offer medical Travel Insurance to help you should you need it


Whether you’re travelling just once, or taking to the slopes several times throughout the year, we’ll ensure that you’re covered


Make sure your smartphones and tablets are covered on holiday by adding our optional Enhanced Gadget cover to your policy.


Protect yourself from unexpected costs when hiring a car. Daily cover from the equivalent of £2.99††


Pay-by-day car insurance from 1 hours-30 days


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What does the Covid-19 cover include protection for1?

Please always check your policy schedule alongside your terms and conditions, as our policy coverages have changed since the COVID-19 outbreak, depending upon when you purchased your policy.

New policies sold from the 30th September 2020 include the following coverages as standard;

  • Cancellation cover if you have a diagnosis of Covid-19 within 14 days of your booked departure date
  • Cover for emergency medical treatment and repatriation if you contract Covid-19 while abroad
  • Unlimited medical expenses if you choose Platinum cover
Q. Why do I need travel insurance?

Travel insurance takes out the worry and expense should anything go wrong with your holiday. For example, if you need urgent medical help, are involved in an accident, lose your passport or have to cancel your holiday at the last minute, travel insurance can help to recover the costs you’d otherwise have to pay out for.

Travel insurance may also cover you on holiday if you fall ill due to an existing medical condition. When you get a quote you should let us know of any pre-existing conditions you have – if we can cover your condition you may need to pay a little extra for your insurance, but you’ll have peace of mind you’ll be covered for treatment abroad if you require it.

Q. I’m travelling in Europe – what insurance do I need?

RAC Travel Insurance can provide cover for you whether you’re travelling to France, Belgium, Spain or other European countries.  

Driving in Europe

If you’re planning on driving in Europe, don’t forget our RAC Car Insurance can cover you for up to 60 days in the EU.

Need Breakdown cover too? Our European Breakdown cover can provide cover for roadside assistance, garage labour costs, accommodation costs and getting your car back to the UK.

Also, take a look at our European travel information guide, which will tell you whether you need an International Driving License and how to get one, plus tips on driving in France and the rest of Europe.

You can also purchase European travel kits and accessories via our online RAC Shop.

Q. Will Brexit affect my travel insurance with the RAC1?

We foresee no changes being made to the cover we provide as a direct result of Brexit, but we do regularly review all of our products and pricing to make sure that we are always competitive and meet the needs of our customers.

Q. What if I need to postpone or re-arrange my trip as a result of Brexit1?

If you would like to postpone or rearrange your trip, we will be happy to allow you to transfer your Single Trip cover to the new trip dates, provided this starts within 6 months of the original trip start date. There may be an additional premium if your destination or trip length changes.

Q. Does my policy cover travel disruption or a delay caused by Brexit1?

If you experience a travel delay due to Brexit, the standard cover provided by your policy applies. You may be entitled to a travel delay benefit after a certain period of delay or, if the period of delay exceeds a certain length of time, to additional accommodation and travel expenses. You will need to check the policy that you purchased to understand the cover that is specific to you. Your policy does not treat a delay caused by Brexit or the end of the transition period any differently to any other delay.

If you miss your departure due to traffic congestion or another delay as a result of Brexit, your standard policy cover applies. You have a responsibility to allow adequate time to reach your departure point.

Q. Will my policy cover me for disruption due to border closures?

Border closure is not a covered peril under the cancellation section of our policies. However, we will review individual claims on a case by case basis, depending on your situation. For customers abroad who are unable to return due to border closure the cover will extend free of charge until they are able to return home at the earliest opportunity.

Q. Will my EHIC card still be valid post Brexit?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) let you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

If you apply for a card now, you’ll get the new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

They are both valid if you’re travelling to an EU country.

If you’re travelling to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, your EHIC will be valid up to 31 December 2020. You’ll need travel insurance with healthcare cover if you’re travelling after then.

You can use a UK passport to get medically necessary healthcare in Norway (for example emergency treatment, or to treat a pre-existing condition).
Some people can apply for a new UK EHIC that they can continue to use from 1 January 2021 in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

People who can apply for the new card include:

  • UK students studying in the EU
  • some British State Pensioners who live in the EU and their families
  •  EU nationals in the UK

For details as to how to apply for a GHIC card go to

Q. I have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitling me to free/reduced cost emergency treatment. Do I need insurance?

The EHIC card (that replaced the E111 form) entitles you to state-provided health care in all European Economic Areas and Switzerland. Visit Foreign Commonwealth office or the NHS to find out exactly what you are covered for.

This card does not cover you for private treatment or repatriation back to the UK so it is recommended that you ensure you have sufficient insurance cover for your trip.

Q. Can I get travel insurance for a cruise?

Yes, if you buy our cruise cover option.  You can select the cruise cover option when you choose your cover or call 0330 159 0410 to add this cover to your policy. If you choose to include our cruise cover option, you will see this detailed in your policy schedule.

As cruise holidays cover many different destinations, please ensure you’re covered for each country you’ll be visiting.

Q. Can I get cover for a skiing holiday and my skiing equipment?

Yes, if you buy our Winter Sports cover option - for details on what this covers, please see our Winter Sports page. You can add the Winter Sports cover option when you get your quote or call 0330 159 0410. If you choose to include our Winter Sports cover option, you will see this detailed in your policy schedule.

Our Winter Sports option provides cover for damage or loss of skis and skiing equipment, and piste closure. See the Policy Wording for full details.

Q. What do I do if I need to make a claim before holiday or when I am abroad?

If you need emergency medical assistance you can call +44 (0)203 819 7176*.

Our UK-based, English speaking staff will be on the end of the phone in case of an emergency.

For non-emergency claims, the telephone number and postal address for the Claims Department can be found in your Policy Wording. Make sure you have your policy reference number when you contact the claims team.

You can contact our claims line on  +44 (0) 1403 289 151*.

Q. How do I know if it is safe to holiday in my chosen country and who are the FCO?

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) provide up-to-date information and advice for each country and detail if it is safe to travel there. Check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website prior to travelling.

Information can be found here.

The FCO are a government agency providing important advice and support for British nationals travelling abroad. They also list the countries that they consider unsafe to visit  .

We won’t cover travel to countries or areas when the Travel Advice Unit of the FCO or regulatory authority in a country to/from which you are travelling has advised against all, or all but essential travel.

Q. What happens when I need to renew my Annual Multi-Trip policy?

We will remind you at least three weeks before your policy is due to expire and give you instructions on how to renew.

Q. Am I insured for holidays in the UK?

Yes, if you have purchased an annual multi trip policy. Any trip not exceeding the maximum trip length as confirmed in your policy schedule is covered within your home area where you have pre - booked at least two nights’ accommodation in a hotel, motel, holiday camp, bed and breakfast, holiday cottage or similar accommodation which is rented for a fee.

Q. What happens if my medical conditions change after I have purchased a policy?

If any of your details change then you will need to contact RAC Travel Insurance on 0330 159 0409 as soon as possible to update your policy.

If your details have changed and you travel without informing us of the changes then we may be unable to honour any claims which arise.

You must have a standalone RAC Breakdown policy or RAC Car Insurance policy and provide your membership or policy number at the time of purchase to qualify for the 10% discount. RAC Travel Insurance must be purchased directly from us and this discount is not available on price comparison websites. The discount will not apply to premiums for pre-existing medical conditions or extended gadget cover.  The offer can be withdrawn or amended at any time.

* Calls from landlines may be charged up to 9p per minute, plus a 15p call set up fee. Calls from mobiles may cost between 8p and 40p per minute. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded.

† This offer is only available when you buy direct from the RAC website and is not available through price comparison websites. This offer is not available on our Orange cover level.

††Based on UK resident buying a single trip policy to cover 10 days car rental in Europe.

1 Please note that cover is subject to the policy terms and conditions, for full details please refer to your policy wording.

RAC Insurance is a trading name of RAC Financial Services Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 5171817. Registered office: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall, WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No. 313989. RAC Travel Insurance is administered by Hood Travel Limited. 1st Floor Maitland House, Warrior Square, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2JY. Registered in England No. 08318836. Hood Travel Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No.597211. Hood Travel is an insurance intermediary providing a non-advised service. We act for and on behalf of the insurer. RAC Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE (GLISE) a German insurance company. UK Branch office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ, company number SE000083. Authorised by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority: register number 769884. Details about the extent of GLISE’s authorisation and regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority, and regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority are available from the insurer on request.

© 2021 RAC Motoring Services. All rights reserved.