Driving advice for every country in Europe

Find up-to-date driving laws and advice for any country in Europe before you visit, including any accessories you may need to purchase. Don't forget the RAC provides European breakdown cover while you're driving in Europe.

Driving in Estonia

Population: 1,311,759
Area: 45,339 Km sq
Currency: Euro

Top 10 popular attractions:  

  • Historic Centre of Tallinn
  • Kuressaare Castle
  • Toompea-Castle
  • st-alexander-nevsky-cathedral
  • St. Olaf’s Church
  • Kadriorg Palace
  • Haapsalu Castle and Cathedral
  • Hermann Castle
  • Lahemaa National Park
  • Paide Castle


Driving licence:

Visitors riding or driving in Estonia must have reached the minimum age required to drive/ride a vehicle of equivalent category even if they are qualified to drive at a lower age in their country of residence. You must be 18 or over to drive a private motor vehicle in Estonia.

All foreign driving licences are recognised.

Important documents:

Vehicles from the UK may be imported into Estonia for up to 6 months in any period of 12 months. When driving in Estonia the following documents should be carried:

  • Full, valid driving licence*
  • Proof of Insurance (third party or above)
  • Proof of ID (passport)
  • Proof of ownership (V5C certificate)

While driving in Estonia you are required by law to carry the following items. Hefty on-the-spot fines can be issued for failing to carry specific items:

  • Headlamp beam deflectors (Depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)
  • Fire extinguisher is compulsory aboard all motor vehicles, a first aid kit is required only in a company car
  • Warning triangle (Any motor vehicle travelling in Estonia, regardless of country of registration, must carry 2 warning triangles)
  • All vehicles must have their lights on day and night
  • It is compulsory to carry two wheel chocks (blocks of wood or plastic to put under a vehicle’s wheels when it is parked to prevent it from moving).
  • Motorcyclists (Safety helmets are compulsory for drivers and passengers of mopeds and motorcycles)


Rules of the road & regulations


Rules of the road:

  • Overtaking & passing

    The regulations conform with the 1968 Road Traffic Convention.

    Many roads have a hard shoulder, slower vehicles pull into these to allow faster vehicles to pass.

    It is prohibited to overtake a tram which has stopped to let passengers on or off.

  • Priority

    The regulations conform with the 1968 Road Traffic Convention.


There are no special regulations concerning the temporary importation of caravans or camper vans. No inventory is required.

Snow chains:

It is compulsory to use winter tyres (radial tyres with a minimum depth of tread of 3mm) from 1 December to 1 March.  However, these dates may vary from October to April according to weather conditions.  Visitors should check local conditions if driving in Estonia between October and April.

Seat belts:

The driver and front-seat passenger of cars must wear seat belts.  Rear seat belts must also be worn when available.

Travelling with children:

A child younger than 12 and not yet tall enough to use an adult seatbelt must travel in a child restraint or a special seat adapted to their size.

A child younger than 12 cannot travel in the front seat unless he is using a child restraint or a special seat. Rear-facing child restraints must not be used on seats equipped with an operational airbag.

It is forbidden to carry a child younger than 12 as a passenger on a moped or motorcycle.

Speed limits:

In built-up areas: 50 km/h

Outside built-up areas:

  • On normal roads: 90 km/h
  • on dual carriageways: 110 km/h


  • On-the-spot fines

    The police can issue a fine on-the-spot and demand immediate payment of fines.


  • Parking regulations

    In towns motorists must take care not to park on tram lines.

    Theft of cars and visible valuable articles left in cars is common.  It is therefore advisable to use guarded car parks whenever possible.

  • Enforcement of parking regulations

     Cars that have been illegally parked will be clamped by the police.

  • Disabled parking access

    There are reserved parking spaces for the disabled which are sign posted.  These may also be used by foreign disabled motorists provided they are in possession of the blue badge.

Traffic lights:

  • Traffic lights

    The international three-colour system of traffic lights is used in Estonia.

Drink/drug driving:

  • Legal limit

    The legal limit for drivers is 0.02% alcohol in the blood.

  • Alcohol

    Breath tests are frequent in Estonia. Blood tests can also be carried out.

Roads & fuel

Availability of fuel

The 3 main petrol station networks are operated by Lukoil (Russia), Statoil (Norway) and Neste. Some stations are automated and operate 24 hours a day.

A special winter diesel fuel with a very high congealing point is available in winter.

Means of payment

Most service stations accept Visa, Mastercard and Diner's Club.

Useful numbers:

112 - Here's a really important bit of knowledge; you can dial 112 from anywhere in Europe and an operator will connect you to an emergency service in the country you're visiting. Operators can answer your call in their native language, English, and French. 

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

Download a copy of our full Driving Abroad report.

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings. Whilst away, use our Route Planner for all your driving directions.

RAC can cover you against vehicle break down in Europe, with options available to suit your travelling requirements.

RAC European breakdown cover Basic and Comprehensive cover provides you with a wide range of benefits.

UK Government travel advice

See up-to-date travel advice


Source: All information in this document is sourced from the AIT (Alliance Internationale de Tourisme) & the FIA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile) and, to the best of the RAC’s knowledge, is correct at the time of publication (May 2016.)
*Price for 1 day cover for up to 9 people travelling in a vehicle up to 1 year old in Zone 1.
RAC European Breakdown cover arranged and administered by RAC Financial Services Limited (Registered No 05171817) and provided by RAC Insurance Ltd (Registered No 2355834). Registered in England; Registered Offices: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of insurance mediation activities. RAC Insurance Ltd is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

Office: British Embassy Tallinn
Street Address: Wismari 6
ZIP Code: 10136
City: Tallinn
Country: Estonia

Telephone: (+372) 6674700
Fax: (+372) 6674755

Email: information@britishembassy.ee