Vehicle on Hire Certificate

Vehicle on Hire Certificate

Who needs a Vehicle on Hire Certificate?

UK motorists travelling abroad in a UK registered vehicle must carry its original Vehicle Registration Document (VRD). If your vehicle is hired or leased, the hire/lease company will not usually release the original VRD. The Vehicle on Hire Certificate is the normal alternative, which can be carried by the driver in lieu of the original VRD.

How do I get a Vehicle on Hire Certificate?

An application form for a Vehicle on Hire Certificate is available for you to download and print out below. Please complete the application form and send it via post to the address on the form or email to: [email protected].

You need to include the following:

  • A photocopy of a letter of authority from the hire/lease company giving you permission to take the vehicle abroad. You need to personally contact the hire/lease company for the necessary vehicle details and letter of authority.
  • A suitable contact number to call to arrange the collection of the £8.00 fee for each Certificate. Special delivery can be arranged at an additional charge of £6.95 if you require your VE103R within 2 working days. Alternatively, you can send a cheque payment along with your application form.

A Vehicle on Hire Certificate is valid for 1 year.

Please note, information is correct at September 2013 but is subject to change without notice.

Download the VE103R application form (105KB)

Please be aware that we can no longer accept applications by fax. Instead, please complete the form and scan this and your letter of authorisation and e mail it to: [email protected].

If you have difficulty in printing the form, please call RAC Travel Sales on 0330 159 0808, Option 4 followed by Option 1, for assistance. Please note, to view the form you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't have this program already, you can download here.

Opening hours

Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Bank Holidays: Closed

Other things to consider when hiring a car

When you rent a car in the UK or abroad, basic insurance is usually included. But if you need to make a claim due to damage or theft, you’re still liable to pay an excess – that’s the first part of the claim - which could cost hundreds or even thousands of pounds.

When you collect your hire car, they’ll often try to sell you excess waiver insurance, which protects your excess. But this can be pricey, costing up to £25 a day1.

Instead of forking out for this, you could get car hire excess insurance from a standalone provider. This means that if you need to make a claim, you pay the hire car firm’s excess and then claim back the money from your excess insurer.

RAC Car Hire Excess Insurance also covers areas that basic insurance doesn’t, like damage caused by stones, kerbs and car doors, and misfuelling if you happen to put the wrong fuel in. Cover is available from the equivalent of £2.992 a day.

If you're planning on hiring a car in Europe, then the RAC also offers European breakdown cover to give you complete peace of mind if your vehicle breaks down. 


Did you know we offer specialist learner driver insurance? And if you're looking to borrow a car for a short-period of time, you can take our temporary car insurance from 1 hour to 30 days. It only takes 15 minutes to activate. Choose from RAC Comprehensive Car Insurance or RAC Car Insurance Plus.


1 Based on research carried out on 31.10.2019 analysing the prices charged by Avis, Hertz, Budget, Europcar, Enterprise and Sixt in 6 popular car hire locations in Europe for a 7 day rental in December 2019.
2 Based on UK resident buying a single trip policy to cover 10 days car rental in Europe
European Breakdown Cover

European Breakdown Cover

Get covered when driving in Europe for just £4.17 a day*.

*Price is based on European Comprehensive breakdown cover for a 14 day trip, in a vehicle up to 1 year old, travelling in zone 1.

European Breakdown Cover