Get a car insurance quote in minutes

  • 5 star Defaqto rating on RAC Car Insurance Plus
  • Our customers voted us Moneyfacts Car Insurance Provider of the Year
  • RAC members pay 11% less on average when buying direct*
Car with defaqto and moneyfacts logos above

Existing customer? Log in to manage your account 24/7

Car Insurance

RAC Car Insurance covers you if your car is damaged, vandalised, stolen or catches fire. We find customers our most competitive car insurance quotes from our panel of selected insurers. With our UK car insurance, you can choose from three different types of cover – comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party only. Our RAC Car Insurance Plus is 5 star rated from Defaqto and our customers have voted us Moneyfacts Car Insurance Provider of the Year for the third year running.

Or, with RAC Online cover you can choose to cut out the call centre, and manage everything yourself, digitally. Whilst also benefiting from lower fees.

Get great quality car insurance from a brand you can trust

5 Star Rated Defaqto RAC Car Insurance Plus

Top rated cover

Our RAC Car Insurance Comprehensive Plus cover is 5 star Defaqto rated

Members pay less

RAC members pay 11% less on average when buying direct*

Moneyfacts logo

Provider of the year

Our customers voted us Moneyfacts Car Insurance Provider of the Year for
3 years running

*Based on sales from 01/07/23 to 31/12/23 of RAC Comprehensive Car Insurance, purchased direct, excluding any additional products and upgrades. Based on average vehicle premium, excluding Finance Fees and IPT. Your premium will depend on your circumstances and the level of cover you choose.

What’s covered with RAC Car Insurance?

Whether you choose our standard or online only product, RAC Car Insurance protects your vehicle against damage, theft, or fire. While our comprehensive car insurance also covers you for replacement locks, personal accident benefits, cover for your accessories, and more for peace of mind on the road.

Third Party, Fire and Theft Insurance

Our Third Party, Fire and Theft insurance protects you against third-party incidents and if your car is stolen or damaged by fire.

Standard RAC Car Insurance – Comprehensive

Our Standard RAC Car Insurance includes all the features in third party, fire, and theft as well as any damage to the vehicle, emergency treatment, window glass cover, replacement locks and more.

RAC Car Insurance Plus – Comprehensive

RAC Car Insurance Plus is our highest cover. This includes features such as a vandalism and uninsured driver promise, a transfer home or hotel stay after an accident1 and child seat cover. Plus, all the benefits of our other cover levels.

RAC Online

New for 2024 – RAC Online is self-service insurance which means you manage your policy online. You can call us to make a claim 24/7, but for general enquiries, we don’t provide telephone support. For help, we have a 24/7 virtual assistant or for tricker issues, we have live chat.

What type of car insurance do I need?

The minimum legal requirement is third party car insurance. However, this doesn’t cover the potentially high costs of repairing any damage nor does it cover you if your vehicle is stolen or damaged in a fire. Comprehensive car insurance gives you the highest cover, and protects against damage to your own vehicle, even if you’re to blame for the accident.

What is comprehensive car insurance?

Comprehensive car insurance covers damage to yourself, your car as well as compensating a third party if you’re involved in an accident.

What is third party, fire and theft car insurance?

Third party, fire and theft car insurance is third party coverage. But it also covers your car if it’s stolen or damaged by fire. It doesn’t protect against the cost of repairs.

What is third party car insurance?

Third party car insurance is the minimum legal level of cover you need to drive a car. It covers any damage caused to other people's property but not your own car.

Choose insurance that suits you

All our RAC Insurance products offer the same great service and efficient claims handling. But how you choose to manage your policy is 
up to you.

Standard RAC Car Insurance gives you the flexibility of managing your policy 24/7 online, with the reassurance of call centre support. And for drivers looking to manage their own policy, RAC Online puts you in the driving seat. With no call centre support, you get to control your account digitally. You only have to pick up a phone if you need to make a claim.

RAC Car Insurance

Call centre and online

Suits drivers who like the flexibility of having 24/7 online access to view and manage their policy online, as well as call centre support when it’s needed.

RAC Online Car Insurance

Online only

Ideal if you’re happy to self-serve online and enjoy lower admin fees. You can call us to make a claim 24/7, but for general enquiries, we don’t provide telephone support.

All our cover levels offer the same great features you expect from the RAC

24/7 claims helpline

60-day EU cover

Live chat with an agent 7 days a week

Repairs guaranteed for 3 years

Is there a difference between RAC Car Insurance and RAC Online Car Insurance?

RAC Online offers you the same quality insurance as our standard cover, but is managed wholly online, by you. If you need help you have access to our web chat team. You can still call us to make a claim, 24/7. By cutting out our general enquiries phone line you'll benefit from lower admin fees.

Visit our RAC Online FAQ page to find out more about this digital-only product.

RAC Car Insurance
24/7 online access to view and manage your policy online, as well as call centre support.
RAC Online Car Insurance
24/7 online access to view and manage your policy online.
What our customers are saying

Dealing with RAC insurance is a revelation compared to our last insurer. RAC gets top marks.

Mr W
RAC Car Insurance

The website was easy to manoeuvre through and the transaction was complete in a matter of minutes. I am not the best on the computer but found it quite easy.

Mr D D
RAC Car Insurance

Within 5 minutes I changed my registration plate to a private plate, renewed my policy and got cheaper than last year. Great customer service. A polite, knowledgeable representative

Mr D F
RAC Car Insurance

Expectations were exceeded. At no time did I feel pressurised, my needs were listened to and clarification was given whenever I asked for it.

Mr D R
RAC Car Insurance

I couldn’t believe how quickly my claim was sorted. The day after the accident the car was recovered and the following day the claim was paid out.

RAC Car Insurance

A stressful situation was made easy. I was dreading a complicated procedure and it was anything but.

RAC Car Insurance

Absolutely delightful, helpful and supportive customer service… perfect, thank you!

RAC Car Insurance

Excellent service as always. Thank you. Your member of staff was fabulous – polite, professional and easy to speak with.

East Yorkshire

9 out of 10 customers would recommend RAC Car Insurance2

Compare RAC Car Insurance policies

We offer four different levels of car insurance – each available in our standard or online version. Comprehensive Plus is our most comprehensive product backed by a Defaqto 5 star rating. Comprehensive is our next level of cover, followed by Third Party, Fire and Theft Car Insurance. We also offer Third Party Only Car Insurance. And if you're looking to manage your account digitally and pay lower admin fees, we have RAC Online.


Comprehensive plus


Third Party, Fire and Theft

60 days EU cover (at the same level as in the UK)

Uninsured driver promise

Vandalism promise

Courtesy car as standard (subject to availability and eligibility)

Repairs guaranteed (for 3 years at approved garages)

Personal accident benefit


Medical expenses

Personal belongings

Transfer home or hotel stay after an accident1

Child seat cover

Window glass cover

Emergency treatment

Replacement locks

Cover for accessories

Sound and sat nav equipment

£1000 or Unlimited if manufacturer-fitted
£500 or Unlimited if manufacturer-fitted
£500 or Unlimited if manufacturer-fitted

New car benefit

You can extend your car insurance cover with our range of optional extras – including RAC Breakdown Cover, Motor Legal Protection, Keycare and Guaranteed Replacement Car.

RAC Car Insurance
24/7 online access to view and manage your policy online, as well as call centre support.
RAC Online Car Insurance
24/7 online access to view and manage your policy online.

What do I need to get a car insurance quote?

Personal details

We’ll need a number of personal details to give you the most accurate quote, including name, address and telephone number.

Employment status

Let us know if you’re employed full-time, part time or self-employed. Alongside your occupation and who you work for.

Driving licence

Driving history

How long you’ve held your driving licence, your licence number, and if you’ve had any accidents or previous claims.

Vehicle details

Tell us the model and make of your car. If it’s fitted with an alarm or has any modification. Also estimated mileage and where you park overnight.

Car insurance explained

When must my car have valid insurance?

Drivers in the UK are required by law to have valid car insurance. Driving without car insurance is illegal and could lead to a fine, penalty points or disqualification.

If you’re involved in any kind of road accident, car insurance can protect you, your vehicle and other road users by providing financial compensation to cover the costs of any damage or injuries.

How much is car insurance in the UK?

The cost of car insurance will vary according to your individual situation. For example, where you live, your age, the car you’re insuring, and any previous driving convictions you might have. See what you could be paying by doing a quick car insurance quote.

How to get cheaper car insurance

The cost of your car insurance depends on lots of factors and many of them can't be changed. For example, the age of a driver. But to get cheaper car insurance, you could do the following:

buying a car in a lower insurance group
building up your no claims discount by driving safely and responsibly
driving more carefully to minimise risk of an accident
adding a named driver, which can also help to reduce the cost of car insurance (make sure you aren’t ‘fronting’, which is illegal)
looking at any difference in cost if you pay annually or monthly
opting for an online only insurance policy, like RAC Online
increasing the voluntary excess you’re prepared to pay on a policy^^
reducing your mileage
using your garage to store your car overnight
passing an advanced motoring qualification, such as Pass Plus
do your quote in advance
remember to state all other vehicles you have access to drive

^^For example, if you set your excess at £150 instead of £50, the cost of your policy should reduce but you should make sure you would be able to pay this amount in event of making a claim.

If you're a younger driver or have recently passed your test, it may be worth considering a specialist policy – such as black box car insurance – which monitors driving behaviour and rewards safe driving. In other words, the safer you drive, the cheaper your premium could be when it comes to renewing your car insurance policy.

Car Insurance FAQs

All new car models are assigned to a car insurance group by the Group Rating Panel, which is administered by Thatcham Research. There are 50 car insurance groups, ranging from group No.1 – which includes cars that are the cheapest to insure – to No.50, the most expensive. Insurers will consider the group rating of a vehicle when calculating the price of a policy. So, if your car’s in a lower group, it’s likely to be cheaper to get car insurance in comparison to a model in a higher group.

Your car belongs to one of the 50 car insurance groups, ranging from one to fifty. Insurance groups are based on various factors:

  • The car’s price
  • Safety features
  • Engine power
  • Repair costs
  • Theft rates

These factors help insurers assess the risk associated with insuring your car.

To learn more about what insurance group your car is, take a look at our guide.

Class of car insurance refers to how a driver uses the vehicle they’re insuring. There are usually four main classes of car insurance, but these may differ slightly by provider. ‘Social, domestic and pleasure’ covers a motorist for everyday driving – such as trips to the shops and visits to friends and family, but not travel to and from work. ‘Social, domestic, pleasure and commuting’ adds commuting to a single regular place of work – for example, driving to the office every day.

Business use on your car insurance adds another layer of cover, enabling a driver to use the vehicle as part of their job. For example, driving to multiple sites as well as a single location. If you're driving around the country regularly for work, this class of car insurance would be suitable.

Commercial car insurance is for motorists who use the vehicle itself for business. For example, delivery drivers, taxi drivers and driving instructors.

If you’re claiming mileage from your employer or driving for work purposes, it’s a legal requirement that you select business use on your car insurance. If you’re driving for work without business car insurance, you’re effectively uninsured. Examples of business use include driving to see clients or driving between multiple work locations.

Business car insurance can be more expensive, as you’re likely to be driving more miles and therefore at greater risk statistically of being involved in an accident.

Excess is the maximum amount that you must pay if you claim on your car insurance. If the incident wasn’t your fault, this amount will be refunded to you. For most car insurance policies, you only pay excess if you’re at fault or if the insurer cannot recover the costs from third parties. However, you should check your policy documents to confirm.

There are two types of excess: compulsory and voluntary. Compulsory excess is decided by your insurer. Voluntary excess is decided by you. Choosing a higher voluntary excess could lower your premium. But you should consider if you’re able to pay this amount first. For instance, if your compulsory is £200 and your voluntary is £100, your total excess is £300.

Most standard, traditional car insurance policies are taken out for a full year. There are alternatives – including RAC Temporary Car Insurance, which you can take out for a short period of time, from one hour up to 30 days, with no long-term contract.

A no claims discount, or no claims bonus as it is also called, is a discount that you get on your car insurance. You usually get this discount for each year you don’t claim. For example, five years without a claim would be five years of no claims discount.

Your no claims discount can be transferred over to a new policy and insurer if you choose not to renew with the same provider. You’ll need proof of this, which you can request from your previous insurer. A named driver on your policy is unlikely to earn any no claims discount.

Breakdown cover can be included when you buy car insurance, but this differs from provider to provider. It’s always best to check your policy documents to see if it is included. If you’d like breakdown cover for your business, you can compare breakdown cover from the RAC here.

This all depends on your car insurance policy. Primarily, you will be covered to drive the vehicle stated in your car insurance policy but cover to drive other vehicles doesn't generally come as standard. You should certainly check your car insurance policy terms and conditions before driving another vehicle.

Some comprehensive car insurance policies include Driving Other Cars (DOC) cover, but this is becoming less common. If you expect to drive another car on occasion - such as a spouse or family members car – it’s advisable to be a Named Driver on their policy. Or, you could look at temporary car insurance which provides cover from 1 hour to 30 days.

Car insurance costs depend on many things, like how old your car is and where you live. Sometimes, insuring a new car can be cheaper because it has better safety features. But if something happens to a new car, it might cost more to replace, so insurance could be more expensive.

Older cars might have lower insurance costs because they're cheaper to fix or replace. It really depends on your situation and the insurance company's rules.

RAC Policy FAQs

RAC members don’t get a set discount for taking out RAC Car Insurance. However, your membership status may be considered by our panel of insurers.

To be eligible for RAC Car Insurance, you need to be aged between 17 and 99.

Modifying your car could affect the price you pay for your car insurance. That’s because what you do could change its performance or value. An insurer might consider a car that is more powerful as a greater risk and therefore charge a higher premium. There are some modifications that could lower the cost, like adding a parking sensor.

Modifications to aid mobility should not impact your quote. However, you will still need to let your insurer know about them before you buy.

If you make a claim and you were at fault – or if the insurer cannot otherwise recover costs – you’ll usually lose some, if not all, of your no claims discount (NCD). If the accident wasn’t your fault, your insurance provider may be able to reclaim the cost from the other driver involved. If this happens, your NCD could remain unaffected.

The best way to guarantee a no claims discount remains intact is to take out no claims discount protection. With NCD protection, drivers can make a claim without losing the NCD they’ve built up. However, the number of claims allowed over a period of time will differ from policy to policy.

Both our RAC Standard Car Insurance and our Defaqto 5 star rated RAC Car Insurance Plus come with a courtesy car as standard (subject to availability and eligibility). However, not all car insurance policies will include the provision of a courtesy car in event of loss of, or damage to, the car insured. It's important to check whether your policy provides a courtesy car.

Unfortunately, despite the risks, a large number of motorists drive without car insurance. Being in an accident with a driver who isn’t insured can be particularly frustrating, as your insurer won’t be able to recover any repair costs.

Some policies offer protection against this. When you compare car insurance, it's worth bearing this in mind. RAC Car Insurance Plus includes our uninsured driver promise. So, if you're hit by an uninsured driver and it wasn't your fault, you'll get a refund on any excesses you have had to pay out. Plus, you won't lose your no claims discount.

Yes, you can claim for damage to your vehicle due to potholes. But your policy excess would apply and any no claims discount you hold would be affected. Pothole damage is covered by the ‘accidental damage’ section of your RAC Car Insurance policy wording.

Yes, we’re here to help. We’re aware that many things can impact people’s livelihoods and cause financial hardship. If you think you may be unable to maintain your regular policy payments, please contact us as soon as possible on 0330 159 1031. Our opening hours are Monday-Saturday, 8am-6pm.

We have specialists on hand who can discuss your individual circumstances and agree how we can help with your financial situation. There are several ways we may be able to help including moving your payment dates, agreeing partial payments or payment holidays in the short term and removing any fees applied to your policy.

Don’t wait until you miss a payment as we can help you in advance. We ask that you don’t cancel your payments or direct debits as this can result in your policy being cancelled and we don’t want you to be left uninsured, please get in touch with us in the first instance.

Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal

No, you do not need to inform us and will continue to be covered.

No, our motor insurance policy will provide, at minimum, third party liability coverage for the duration of the insurance policy. However, we encourage you to check your policy documents carefully for limits of coverage and policy exclusions. In addition, we encourage you to familiarise yourself with regulations around the cross-border transport of goods and abide by any travel advice issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.

No, cover does not include driving in the Ukraine. You should also be aware that damage or injury caused by war, conflicts or similar events is common exclusion in motor insurance policies.

Other types of car insurance

Looking for a certain type of car insurance? The RAC offers a range of other products. This includes temporary car insuranceblack box car insuranceclassic car insurance, and learner driver insurance.