Driving advice for every country in Europe

Find up-to-date driving laws and advice for any country in Europe before you visit, including any accessories you may need to purchase. Don't forget the RAC provides European breakdown cover while you're driving in Europe.

Driving in Luxembourg

Population: 562,958
Area: 2,586.4 sq. Km
Currency: Euro

If you're driving in Luxembourg your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence.
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car – unless your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background).
  • Your motor insurance certificate and V5 registration document or hire car paperwork.
  • Your passport – it's surprisingly easy to drive into other countries without realising it.
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down (recommended).
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way).
  • A relective jacket (must be worn by any person stepping out of a vehicle onto the motorway).

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over.
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car).
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle.

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights.
  • A fire extinguisher.
  • A first aid kit.
  • A Camping Card International to give you additional proof of identity, third party liability insurance, plus discounts at a wide range of campsites and tourist attractions. Find out more here.
  • A Green Card – it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company.

Other things you should know:

  • You don't have to pay motorway tolls in Luxembourg.
  • In winter, it is a legal requirement to drive with winter tyres on, regardless of what country your car is registered in. There is no set date for when this law kicks in, it is simply defined by 'when there is wintery conditions' such as: black ice, packed snow, slush, ice or frost. This can be confusing so it is best to have winter tyres fitted before your trip, if you are travelling in winter, regardless of the weather.
  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available. You won't be able to find lead replacement petrol (LRP) but you can buy a lead replacement additive to put in your fuel tank.
  • Children under age 3 must use an appropriate seat restraint at all times.
  • Children weighing over 36kg can use the lap part of an adult seat belt.
  • Children up to 1.5m tall can't travel in the front seat without a suitable seat restraint.
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 90kph on open roads and 130kph on motorways - if you've held your licence for fewer than two years, you shouldn't exceed 70kph.
  • If you're caught committing a motoring offence whilst driving through Luxembourg, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine.
  • If you're in a built-up area, you can only use your horn in cases of extreme danger.
  • Buses, including school buses, have right of way when pulling out.
  • On steep roads, traffic driving uphill has priority.
  • The drink driving limit is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood – the same as in the UK.

Useful numbers:

112 - Here's a really important bit of knowledge; you can dial 112 from anywhere in Europe and an operator will connect you to an emergency service in the country you're visiting. Operators can answer your call in their native language, English, and French. 

Useful guides and maps

Michelin - National Map Luxembourg
Michelin - National Map Benelux
Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

UK Government travel advice

See up-to-date travel advice


Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office, www.nationaldrivesafe.co.ukwww.drive-alive.co.uk.
Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of May 2016 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.
*Price for 1 day cover for up to 9 people travelling in a vehicle up to 1 year old in Zone 1.
RAC European Breakdown cover arranged and administered by RAC Financial Services Limited (Registered No 05171817) and provided by RAC Insurance Ltd (Registered No 2355834). Registered in England; Registered Offices: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of insurance mediation activities. RAC Insurance Ltd is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

British Embassy Luxembourg

5, Boulevard Joseph II
L-1840 Luxembourg

Email: britemb@internet.lu

Telephone: (+352) 22 98 64

Fax: (+352) 22 98 67