Sales enquiries: 0330 159 1111

Driving Abroad

Image of Paris

Before you travel be sure that you have everything you need for driving in Europe and abroad. Our advice below covers everything for your trip abroad, from what you need before you go to advice if things go wrong.

Select your destination country and any countries you are travelling through to see motoring information and advice including any accessories you may need to purchase.  Use our Route Planner to help with driving directions whilst you're away and for peace of mind learn more about our European Breakdown Cover.

Download a copy of the RAC Driving Abroad Report.


Preparing to drive in Europe? What you should know

Before you go

Before you leave for your holiday, there are a number of things you can do to ensure that you are prepared for any eventuality.

Before you go_img

When you get there

Driving abroad is not without its challenges; follow our handy 11-point advice guidelines for when you get there.

When you get there_img

Why is it important to take out cover

Planning to take your car across the channel and holiday in mainland Europe? Be prepared and check your breakdown cover.

Why is it important to take out cover_img

European Cover

We’ve developed our NEW 5 Star Comprehensive European Breakdown Cover

European Cover_img

Driving and Travel Checklist

Before you set off on your driving holiday to make sure you are prepared for any eventuality.

Driving and Travel Checklist_img

Motoring Essenials

Browse the RAC Shop for a range of european driving essentials, to help make your journey safe and enjoyable.

Motoring Essenials_img

Camping Card International

Camping somewhere around the world? Consider the Camping Card International.

Camping Card International_img

International Driving Permit

If you're planning to drive a car abroad you'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for certain countries.

International Driving Permit_img

Carnet de Passage

Are you planning to take your vehicle overseas outside Europe? You may need a Carnet de Passage.

Carnet de Passage_img

Vehicle on Hire Certificate

Are you taking a hired / leased car abroad?  You may need a Vehicle on Hire Certificate.

Vehicle on Hire Certificate_img

When things go wrong abroad

Guidance on what to do if you break down or are involved in an accident whilst driving abroad.

When things go wrong abroad_img

Driving Abroad in Winter

Driving abroad in winter can bring its challenges; it pays to understand both the safety and legal issues.

Driving Abroad in Winter_img

Glossary and Useful Websites

Need more advice - browse our glossary and and view other helpful websites!

Glossary and Useful Websites_img

Operation Stack

Read our advice to motorists about Operation Stack – the procedure deployed by Kent Police in response to the cross-channel ferry delays

Operation Stack_img

Other RAC products
Car InsuranceCar Insurance_img
Route Planner
RAC Shop
Accident & Legal Accident & Legal _img