Legal Care Plus is the RAC’s motor legal expenses insurance policy that gives you the cover you need if you’re involved in a car accident that wasn’t your fault or if you have a legal dispute about your vehicle.

What is legal expenses insurance?

Motor legal expenses insurance is designed to make sure policyholders don’t lose out financially if they are involved in a road traffic collision that is not their fault. It covers the legal costs to pursue claims for loss of earnings, policy excesses and the cost of making a personal injury compensation claim, and more. Your motor insurance policy won’t help you to claim these back. So without this cover, you’ll either have to pay for a solicitor to try and claim these back for you, or you could lose out completely.

The average cost of buying legal expenses insurance with your car insurance policy is around £30. But RAC’s Legal Care Plus policy is just £15. Legal Care Plus will do all of this for you, as well as covering up to five policyholders on one policy.

Motoring prosecutions

RAC Motor Legal Expenses Insurance policy can cover legal costs if you’re facing prosecution for a motoring offence under our legal defence cover. 

Disputes with garages

If you’re facing a dispute with a garage, after buying or selling the vehicle, or have concerns about poor servicing or repair work, the RAC’s policy will provide the help you need and cover legal costs if you need a solicitor.

24/7 Legal Advice Helpline

Unlike some other legal expenses insurance policies, Legal Care Plus includes a 24/7 legal advice helpline which offers advice on any personal legal matter you may have.

Legal Care Plus is around 50% cheaper than most other motor legal expenses insurance policies out there.

Credit hire & repairs

We can also help you get back on the road quickly after an accident that wasn't your fault by providing a replacement vehicle and quality repairs. Using our service to repair your vehicle means you don't need to make a claim on your motor insurance policy, so you can avoid paying your policy excess We'll also arrange for a hire vehicle similar to your own and claim the hire and repair costs back from the other party’s insurance company.***

Legal Care Plus cover

  • Uninsured loss recovery. Up to £100,000 legal expenses cover following an accident that wasn't your fault, helping you to recover uninsured losses such as your policy excess, loss of earnings or personal injury compensation.
  • Legal defence. Up to £25,000 legal expenses cover if you've received a summons for an alleged motoring offence involving your vehicle.
  • Travel costs. Up to £1,000 cover for travel costs relating to legal proceedings where the accident occurred in Europe.
  • Consumer disputes. Up to £10,000 legal expenses cover to help you pursue breach of an agreement following the purchase, selling, service or repair of a motor vehicle.
  • 24/7 advice on personal legal matters in the UK including – wills, probate, employment, family and conveyancing matters.

For cover to be provided, there must be a 51% or greater chance that your case will be successful.

We won’t be able to cover legal costs for incidents that happened prior to you buying this insurance.

See full terms for further details.

Legal Care Plus FAQs

Is this the same as the legal expenses cover that I may have as part of my car insurance?
You should always check whether you already have motor legal expenses cover elsewhere and exactly what you are covered for. Our Legal Care Plus product is designed to help you with any legal dispute in relation to your motor vehicle and comes with 24-hour access to our legal advice helpline.
Can I purchase legal expenses insurance without breakdown cover?
Yes, Legal Care Plus is our stand-alone motor legal expenses product and you don't need to have RAC Breakdown Cover or business breakdown cover.
How many cars can I have on my legal expenses insurance policy?
Unlike the motor legal expenses insurance that may be included or added onto your car insurance policy, Legal Care Plus covers you as an individual rather than only covering the vehicle you drive. That means you don’t need a separate motor legal expenses policy for every vehicle.
I need to make a claim on my legal cover policy, will you appoint a solicitor to act on my behalf, or do I have to find my own solicitor?
Once your claim is accepted we can appoint a specialist solicitor with a proven track record to act on your behalf. You can be safe in the knowledge that your claim is in good hands.
If I am injured and use your solicitors, will they take any fees out of my compensation?
No. We’ll put you in touch with a specialist solicitor to support you following an injury and unlike some providers, you get to keep 100% of your compensation.
Can I add family members on to my Legal Expenses Insurance policy?
Yes, you can add up to four members of your family onto your policy, providing they all live at the same address as you.
Will this legal cover policy cover my passengers if we are in an accident together?
Yes, any passenger in your vehicle is covered for the recovery of their uninsured losses which could include making a claim for personal injury compensation or loss of earnings.
Will my legal expenses insurance policy cover me if I have an accident abroad?
Yes, the policy provides you with representation to help recover your uninsured losses or to defend a motoring prosecution throughout Europe.
Does the legal advice helpline cover the cost of appointing a solicitor on any area of law?
Legal Care Plus is the RAC’s motor legal expenses insurance that covers the costs of appointing a solicitor for the areas covered under the policy. However, we understand that you may need help with other legal matters and so as a separate benefit of this policy, we will provide you with access to our telephone helpline, providing initial advice on a range of other personal legal matters. If you need to progress one of these matters beyond our initial advice and appoint a solicitor to act on your behalf, then you will need to cover the cost of this yourself. However, we may be able to recommend a solicitor to help you resolve your problem.
I am no longer driving, does this mean that I need to cancel the policy?
While some benefits of RAC Legal Care Plus are purely motoring-related, the policy can also provide you with representation if you have been injured in a non-motoring-related incident, such as a slip, trip or fall. You also have access to our legal helpline 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for advice on any personal legal matter.
How can I contact you if I have any questions about Legal Care Plus?

Talk to us

Call us on 0330 159 0441.

  • Monday to Friday – 08:00 to 17:00
  • Closed weekends and Bank Holidays