10% off RAC Travel Insurance for trips worldwide^

For members and RAC Car Insurance customers

Get a quote   

Travel Insurance

Whether your idea of heaven is seven days in the sun or several weeks of cross-country trekking, travel insurance should be high on the list of important items to take with you, along with your passport and spending money. It provides a financial safety net should you need help with things like damaged possessions, hospital bills or cancelled trips, all of which can be expensive.
RAC Travel Insurance offers cover for single trips, as well as annual multi trip cover if you like to holiday more than once a year. All of our policies provide cover for trip cancellation, medical expenses and personal belongings, and there is a range of additional covers you can add for winter sports, cruises and weddings. Whether you’re travelling alone, with a partner or as part of a larger group, make sure you protect your holiday with cover from a brand you can trust.

Emergency medical and dental expenses

Lost and delayed luggage

Airline failure and Cancellations

Why choose RAC Travel Insurance?

At the RAC we want to ensure that you’re looked after every step of the way when you go on holiday. Whether it’s making sure you’re covered for medical expenses, helping with the costs of lost baggage or assisting with the hassle of disrupted travel arrangements, we’ve got you covered should anything go wrong.

Our friendly team is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week for emergency medical assistance. Meaning you can relax and enjoy your holiday, safe in the knowledge that we’re here to provide the help you need, when you need it.

Or phone us for a quote on 0330 159 0405

Lines are open Monday - Friday 8am - 7pm, Saturday 9am - 5pm and closed Sundays.

Our cover levels

We’ve got three levels of cover available with varying benefits, so you can find the right cover to suit your needs, and relax and enjoy your holidays throughout the year.

Orange Cover Silver Cover Black Cover
£2,500 cancellation cover £5,000 cancellation cover £7,500 cancellation cover
£10m emergency medical expenses £15m emergency medical expenses £20m emergency medical expenses
£1,500 for personal belongings £2,000 for personal belongings £3,000 for personal belongings

RAC Member and Car Insurance policyholder discount^

RAC members and RAC Car Insurance policyholders save 10% on Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip policies with RAC Travel Insurance. Enter or quote your membership or policy number at the time of purchase and we'll automatically apply your discount.

FREE Travel Disruption Cover

On every Annual Multi Trip policy for the first 12-months. Cover is provided in the event your trip is disrupted, either before you reach your destination, while you are at your destination, or on the way home.

Travel advice before you leave

Before travelling, we advise that you check our Travel Advice page as this will provide you with information from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office regarding any worldwide concerns which may affect your travel, and your policy.

Important information regarding the new luggage restrictions

If you have a query about your policy, would like to renew or make a claim, find all the contact details here


If you have a query regarding RAC Travel Insurance, read our frequently asked questions


An extensive glossary of all the terms relevant to your RAC Travel Insurance policy

We also cover

We’ve got three levels of annual cover available with varying benefits, so you’ll be able to find the right cover to suit you


RAC Travel Insurance will make sure that you have cover for the whole family when you go away


We want you to be able to relax on your holiday, so we offer medical Travel Insurance to help you should you need it


Whether you’re travelling just once, or taking to the slopes several times throughout the year, we’ll ensure that you’re covered


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why do I need travel insurance?
Travel insurance takes out the worry and expense should anything go wrong with your holiday. For example, if you need urgent medical help, are involved in an accident, lose your passport or have to cancel your holiday at the last minute, travel insurance can help to recover the costs you’d otherwise have to pay out for.

Travel insurance may also cover you on holiday if you fall ill due to an existing medical condition. When you get a quote you should let us know of any pre-existing conditions you have – if we can cover your condition you may need to pay a little extra for your insurance, but you’ll have peace of mind you’ll be covered for treatment abroad if you require it.
Q. Can I get travel insurance for a cruise?
Yes, if you buy our cruise cover option.  You can select the cruise cover option when you choose your cover or call 0330 159 0410 to add this cover to your policy. If you choose to include our cruise cover option, you will see this detailed in your policy schedule.

As cruise holidays cover many different destinations, please ensure you’re covered for each country you’ll be visiting.
Q. Can I get cover for a skiing holiday and my skiing equipment?
Yes, if you buy our Winter Sports cover option.  You can select the Winter Sports cover option when you choose your cover or call 0330 159 0410 to add this cover to your policy. If you choose to include our Winter Sports cover option, you will see this detailed in your policy schedule.

Our Winter Sports option provides cover for damage or loss of skis and skiing equipment, and piste closure. See the Policy Wording for full details.
Q. What do I do if I need to make a claim before holiday or when I am abroad?
If you need emergency medical assistance you can call +44 (0)203 819 7176.*

Our UK-based, English speaking staff will be on the end of the phone in case of an emergency.

For non-emergency claims, the telephone number and postal address for the Claims Department can be found in your Policy Wording. Make sure you have your policy reference number when you contact the claims team.

You can contact our claims line on +44 (0)208 667 2464*.
Q. I have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitling me to free/reduced cost emergency treatment. Do I need insurance?

The EHIC card (that replaced the E111 form) entitles you to state-provided health care in all European Economic Areas and Switzerland. Visit Foreign Commonwealth office or the NHS to find out exactly what you are covered for.

This card does not cover you for private treatment or repatriation back to the UK so it is recommended that you ensure you have sufficient insurance cover for your trip.

Q. How do I know if it is safe to holiday in my chosen country and who are the FCO?

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) provide up-to-date information and advice for each country and detail if it is safe to travel there. Check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website prior to travelling.

Information can be found here.

The FCO are a government agency providing important advice and support for British nationals travelling abroad. They also list the countries that they consider unsafe to visit  .

We won’t cover travel to countries or areas when the Travel Advice Unit of the FCO or regulatory authority in a country to/from which you are travelling has advised against all, or all but essential travel.

However, if the FCO changes their advice about a country/area we provide cover for, our Travel disruption cover would cover the cancellation should you have already booked a holiday.

Q. What happens when I need to renew my Annual Multi-Trip policy?
We will remind you at least three weeks before your policy is due to expire and give you instructions on how to renew.
Q. Am I insured for holidays in the UK?
Yes, if you have purchased an annual multi trip policy. Any trip not exceeding the maximum trip length as confirmed in your policy schedule is covered within your home area where you have pre - booked at least two nights’ accommodation in a hotel, motel, holiday camp, bed and breakfast, holiday cottage or similar accommodation which is rented for a fee.
Q. What happens if my medical conditions change after I have purchased a policy?

If any of your details change then you will need to contact RAC Travel Insurance on 0330 159 0409 as soon as possible to update your policy.

If your details have changed and you travel without informing us of the changes then we may be unable to honour any claims which arise.

Q. I’m travelling in Europe – what insurance do I need?

RAC Travel Insurance can provide cover for you whether you’re travelling to France, Belgium, Spain or other European countries.  

Driving in Europe

If you’re planning on driving in Europe, don’t forget our RAC Car Insurance can cover you for up to 60 days in the EU.

Need Breakdown cover too? Our European Breakdown cover can provide cover for roadside assistance, garage labour costs, accommodation costs and getting your car back to the UK.

Also, take a look at our European travel information guide, which will tell you whether you need an International Driving License and how to get one, plus tips on driving in France and the rest of Europe.

You can also purchase European travel kits and accessories via our online RAC Shop.

^ You must have a standalone RAC Breakdown policy or RAC Car Insurance policy and provide your membership or policy number at the time of purchase to qualify for the 10% discount. RAC Travel Insurance must be purchased directly from us and this discount is not available on price comparison or cashback websites. The discount will not apply to extended gadget cover. This offer can be withdrawn or amended at any time.

* Calls from landlines may be charged up to 9p per minute, plus a 15p call set up fee. Calls from mobiles may cost between 8p and 40p per minute. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded.

RAC Insurance is a trading name of RAC Financial Services Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 5171817. Registered office: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall, WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. RAC Travel Insurance is administered by Hood Travel Limited. 1st Floor Maitland House, Warrior Square, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2JY. Registered in England No. 08318836. Hood Travel Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No.597211. RAC Travel Insurance is underwritten by AXA Insurance UK PLC. Registered in England and Wales No. 00078950. Registered office at 5 Old Broad Street, London UK. AXA Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority Register No. 202312 and is regulated by both the Prudential Regulator Financial Conduct Authority Register No. 202312.

© 2017 RAC Motoring Services. All rights reserved.