European Breakdown

Roadside assistance in Europe from just £6

Get a quote   

Price for 1 day cover for up to 9 people travelling in a vehicle up to 1 year old in Zone 1.

Whatever happens we’ll continue to provide exceptional service all year round

European Breakdown Cover

If you're driving in Europe you'll need comprehensive cover & the security of European roadside assistance. Our Comprehensive Plus cover is the BEST European breakdown cover policy in the market. We'll ensure your vehicle is fixed at the roadside or towed to the nearest garage - and we can provide recovery services in 49 different countries with both short term and annual policies available.

Unlike other providers, we've got flexible options to suit you - providing various lengths of cover for vehicles of any age, including classic cars, and we provide cover if you're towing too. Get instant cover online today or if you need any help you can call our dedicated team on 0330 332 8302.

Whatever happens in the coming months, we’ll continue to provide you with exceptional service at the roadside, through our partners operating within the EU. We've compiled a handy guide to explain what you'll need to drive in Europe after Brexit.

24/7 English-speaking helpline

Defaqto 5 Star Comprehensive & Comprehensive Plus cover

The BEST cover in the market1

Our cover levels


From £6*

Get a quote  
  • Up to £1,250 roadside assistance in Europe
  • We’ll pay up to £150 garage labour costs2
  • Up to £400 accommodation expenses or up to £400 to continue your journey
  • Up to £500 or the market value if lower, to get your vehicle back to the UK, providing your vehicle is not beyond economical repair
Get a quote  
defaqto five star rating


From £7*

Get a quote  
  • Unlimited roadside assistance in Europe
  • We’ll pay up to £150 garage labour costs2
  • Up to £500 accommodation expenses or up to £1,500 to continue your journey
  • We’ll pay up to the market value of your vehicle to get it back to the UK, providing your vehicle is not beyond economical repair
  • UK roadside assistance up to the value of £300, 48 hours before your departure date
Get a quote  
defaqto five star rating

BEST cover1

Comprehensive Plus

From £9*

Get a quote  
  • Unlimited roadside assistance in Europe
  • We’ll pay up to £1,000 garage labour costs**
  • Up to £1,200 accommodation expenses and up to £3,000 to continue your journey
  • We’ll pay to get your vehicle back to the UK if it can’t be fixed, providing your vehicle is not beyond economical repair
  • Unlimited UK roadside assistance, 7 days before your departure date^
  • Replacement tickets if you miss your pre-booked train or ferry^^
Get a quote  



European Breakdown Cover Explained


What is European Breakdown Cover?

If you’re planning to drive in Europe, you’ll need the reassurance of breakdown cover. Although you might have breakdown cover at home, in the UK, when you’re driving abroad you won’t be covered under the same policy so you must get specialist European breakdown cover. Whether you’re driving short distances in one country or planning a longer road trip in Europe, it can prove invaluable.

It’s another cost, in addition to all the other costs you’ll incur, during a visit to Europe - such as fuel, and of course, the price of your holiday to start off with. But, it’s a price almost certainly worth paying. It can be distressing enough breaking down a couple of miles from your home, in an area you know, but doing so in a foreign country on unfamiliar roads is a worrying experience. It might even spoil your holiday.

Knowing you can call on roadside assistance and recovery if you need it gives you peace of mind when you’re on your travels. Without European Breakdown Cover, you could potentially face significant costs to get your vehicle repaired or recovered, being towed to a nearby garage for further work. 

If you’re in a European country without the means to continue your journey, breakdown cover can cover you for onward travel whilst your vehicle is being repaired. You might be able to get a replacement hire car or secure hotel accommodation for the duration of repairs. 

Depending on how serious the problem is, your vehicle might have to be transported back to the UK for extensive repairs. Not all breakdown providers will cover all the costs to get your vehicle back home. You'll also need to think about how you'll get home, whether you'll need a hire car or flights. With European Breakdown Cover you'll have a range of options.

The level of cover depends on the breakdown policy you take out, so do check the terms and conditions before buying.

European Breakdown Cover need not be as expensive as you might think. You can tailor your cover specifically to your holiday if you prefer - the RAC has single trip European Breakdown Cover available, starting from just a single day - as well as annual policies.

You should be certain that your European Breakdown Cover is valid in the country you’re driving in. With the RAC, cover is available in 49 different countries but these are rated in a range of zones. If you need breakdown cover in FranceGermany and Spain, for example, you’ll need to make sure you’re covered in Zone 1 and Zone 2. France and Germany are in Zone 1, while Spain are in Zone 2.

For more information on European Breakdown Cover and advice on driving when abroad, read our guides.

Countries Covered

Our policies can be extended to cover up to 49 countries, you’ll struggle to find European Breakdown Cover as comprehensive as ours. The covered countries are separated into Zones, allowing you to easily select the best cover for you and your trip.

If you’d like to learn more about driving in these countries, click the country name to read our extensive guides which include local driving laws, travel advice, parking regulations and fuel availability.

We also cover the offshore islands of all the countries within this zone.

Show countries on a map
Zone 2 (includes Spain & Italy)
  Vatican City

We also cover the offshore islands of the countries within this zone, with the exception of Ceuta, Melilla or the Canary Islands (Spanish off-shore Islands).

Show countries on a map
Zone 3 (includes Poland & Greece)

We also cover the offshore islands of all the countries within this zone.

Show countries on a map
European driving and travel advice

Both our breakdown cover and advice is comprehensive: select your destination and read through the tailored motoring information and advice on offer


This essential guide will cover the basics of your road trip, as well as giving you recommendations on some of the best drives to visit on your journey


Take advantage of our Breakdown Cover and explore the UK and Europe, and the unrivalled landscapes, by car

More about our European Breakdown Cover...

Whether you're popping to Paris or setting off for a two-week stay in Spain, we have flexible cover options to suit you.


Find out what the RAC offers that the AA and Green Flag don't


Read the praise we have received from our customers regarding our European Breakdown Cover


For more information about our European Breakdown Cover please refer to our Insurance Product Information Document or our Terms & Conditions



Download and complete a claim form within 90 days of your planned return date


Dont' let anything spoil your break. Single Trip European Breakdown Cover from RAC covers you for breakdowns, roadside assistance & more - all from just £6.


If you’re heading for Belgium and the Netherlands and planning to drive, it’s important you know the rules of the road and have breakdown cover in place.


If you’re driving in Germany, it’s important that you have European Breakdown Cover in place to provide roadside recovery and assistance should you need it.


If you’re planning on driving in France, then you need to be prepared - here’s the RAC guide to European Breakdown Cover and rules of the road.


Before driving in Spain, prepare properly by understanding the road rules, checking your vehicle and arranging the right level of breakdown cover.


If you’re planning on driving in Italy, then you need to be prepared - here’s the RAC guide to European Breakdown Cover and rules of the road.


If you’re planning on driving in the Republic of Ireland, then you need to be prepared - here’s our guide to European Breakdown Cover.


What our Members say

Our Service

Do you know the French for flat battery? (it's batterie à plat)

We have been helping motorists in Europe for over 100 years so we know how stressful it can be when your car breaks down. It can be even worse when it is in a different country where you may not be able to speak the language.

  1. An experienced case handler to manage your breakdown from start to finish
  2. Our technical experts will liaise with the garage to ensure you only pay for repairs you need
  3. We will cover the costs of dispatch for any replacement parts - please note we will not pay for the costs of the parts
  4. Average time to attend in France was 50 minutes
  5. 93% of calls were answered in under 15 seconds
  6. 62% of all breakdowns in Europe are dealt with on the same day
  7. English speaking incident managers on call 24/7 to help manage the repairs, towing and if needs be alternative travel or accommodation arrangements
  8. Up to 18 different languages spoken by our team
  9. RAC's urgent message relay can let your relatives or close business associates know what's going on

Based on data collated between January 2015 and December 2015 on service levels in Europe (unless otherwise specified).

5 Star European Breakdown Cover

RAC Comprehensive European Breakdown Cover has been awarded a 5 star rating by Defaqto.

Buying European Breakdown Cover

Suffering car problems is problematic at the best of times, but the situation can feel much worse far away from home. If you're driving outside the UK, you need to be covered for specific European vehicle breakdown, so that you can benefit from European roadside assistance and European roadside recovery.

Even if you have UK breakdown cover in place, you shouldn't just assume that your vehicle has the same level of place abroad as at home. If you're planning on driving in Europe - taking a holiday in France or Spain, for example - you should make sure you have cover. If not, it's time to start looking up European breakdown policies. You can read more about the need for European breakdown cover here.

Q. What level of European breakdown cover do I need?

If you're a regular driver in several different European countries, then you might consider taking out an annual policy which you can add as an optional extra alongside your annual UK breakdown cover. It's comprehensive, covering vehicles that have broken down at the roadside as well as being recovered to a nearby local garage - so that's European roadside assistance and European roadside recovery taken care of.

We also provide cover for short visits or day trips which you can explore on our single trip page

Q. What countries are included in RAC European breakdown cover?

You'll struggle to find many European breakdown policies that are as comprehensive in its coverage. This policy provides European vehicle breakdown cover in 48 countries in continental Europe.

Of course, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal and Belgium are included, as is the Republic of Ireland. But this policy also covers European breakdowns in a range of other countries, including Albania, Armenia, Gibraltar, Moldova, Macedonia, Serbia and many more. This means drivers will have access to European recovery services in virtually every country.

Q. Can I find cheap European breakdown cover?

You can - the RAC has flexible options so you can, if you wish, just get relatively cheap European breakdown cover for two weeks in France during the summer, for example. This allows you to tailor your breakdown cover exactly for your requirements, selecting the dates of your travel, the number of the people in the vehicle, and the European areas you'll be driving in. Cover will obviously be cheaper for a family of four spending a week in France than a football team touring several European countries for a month.

Q. Can I just get cover for a family holiday in Europe?

Yes, as cover is available on a single trip basis as well as annually. The RAC has three different policies, so you can compare European breakdown cover across these variations. Standard starts from just £6, Comprehensive is from £7 and the price of Comprehensive Plus begins at £9. Our RAC Comprehensive Plus policy has a Defaqto 5 Star rating, and includes garage labour costs up to £1,000 and unlimited emergency European roadside assistance and repair.

Q. Are all countries covered by all RAC European breakdown policies?

They are in our most comprehensive annual European breakdown policies. But we also allow motorists to pick and choose only the countries they will be driving in, and divide these countries into zones. Zone 1 covers France, Belgium, Monaco, the Republic of Ireland, Netherlands, Andorra, Germany and Luxembourg; Zone 2 includes Spain, Italy and others. Zone 3 includes Poland, Greece, Ukraine and the Russian mainland.

Think carefully before taking out European roadside recovery - if you're visiting a country once for a short period, it makes sense to look at specific European personal cover. If you're visiting several countries more than once during a period of time, an annual policy, offering excellent all-round European roadside assistance, could well be worth it.

Q. Will European breakdown cover help to get my car back to the UK?
If required, our European breakdown policies can help to get your car safely back to the UK - or repatriation, in other words. Again, there are different levels of cover depending on your policy. Standard has vehicle repatriation cover of up to £500, Comprehensive has cover up to the market value of the insured vehicle, and Comprehensive Plus has unlimited cover. This is providing your vehicle is not beyond economical repair.
Q. What vehicles are eligible for European Cover?

We insure most vehicles types and we also cover vehicles that are towing caravans or trailers so long as they meet the following criteria. The insured vehicle must be one of the following and must be permanently registered in the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man as a private vehicle: car, motorcycle 121cc or over, motor caravan, motor home, minibus fitted with not more than 17 seats including driver, light van, estate car, MPV, or 4x4 sport utility vehicle.

The vehicle must also have:

  • A maximum legal laden weight of 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes). This weight is called the Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM)
  • Maximum overall dimensions of: length 7m; height 3m; width 2.55m (all including any load carried).
  • If your vehicle is over the size specified above, RAC Arrival might best suit your needs.

Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for further details.

Full terms and conditions apply.

Maximum benefits payable under the policy - please read the terms and conditions policy booklet for details. Additional cover available in some areas upon payment of an additional premium.

* Price for 1 day cover for up to 9 people travelling in a vehicle up to 1 year old in Zone 1.

1 Comparison based on top standalone cover levels from other major providers. Visit for more details.

2 If repairs can be completed within the same working day.

** If repairs can be completed within 7 working hours.

^ Unless a breakdown occurs within a ¼ of a mile from your home

^^ Up to 3 missed connections, if the delay is caused by a breakdown

Actual time was 50.30 minutes from the time accepted by the breakdown service to the time the contractor arrives at the scene, 1st January 2016 - 1st August 2016.

RAC European Breakdown cover arranged and administered by RAC Financial Services Limited (Registered No 05171817) and provided by RAC Insurance Ltd (Registered No 2355834). Registered in England; Registered Offices: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of insurance mediation activities. RAC Insurance Ltd is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

© 2019 RAC Motoring Services. All rights reserved.