Useful Glossary

Useful Glossary

Carnet de Passage - A Carnet de Passage en Douanes is an internationally recognised Customs document entitling the holder to TEMPORARILY import a vehicle duty-free into countries, which normally require a deposit against import charges for such vehicles (generally countries outside Europe).

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) – If you are ill or injured abroad, the EHIC lets you get state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. It is not a substitute for travel insurance and should be used in conjunction with a valid private travel insurance policy. For more details, visit:

International Driving Permit (IDP) - If you're planning to drive a car abroad you'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for certain countries. This IDP is in addition to your UK driving licence - which you also need to take with you if you're driving and/or hiring a car abroad.

NF-approved breathalyser - As of 1July 2012, it became illegal to drive in France without a NF-approved (Norme Française) breathalyser in your car. You can buy an NF-approved breathalyser at the RAC Shop.

Need more advice?

  • Everything you need to know about driving abroad, in Europe and further afield from one of the UK’s biggest motoring organisations.
  • Up-to-date travel advice by country from the Foreign Office including useful information on renewing passports and how to access support and help abroad.
  • General advice from the Foreign Office on driving abroad and advice on getting an International Driving Permit.