Caravan, Campervan and Motorhome Breakdown Cover

Arrival, the RAC’s caravan, campervan and motorhome breakdown cover, has been developed exclusively with The Camping and Caravanning Club. It includes everything that you’d expect from the RAC together with specialist benefits designed for caravans, motorhomes and campervans. And now you can choose cover specifically designed for whatever you’re driving or towing.

Choose your breakdown cover below or call us on 0330 159 0358.

Rescue Anywhere

We won't make you upgrade for cover at home — wherever you break down we'll be there.

Best in Market Cover1

The UK’s best breakdown cover for caravan, motorhome and campervan owners, travelling in the UK and Europe.

More Choice

We've got the perfect cover for you — no matter what you're driving or towing.

Not a member of The Camping and Caravanning Club?

Save money at The Camping and Caravanning Club

Get your first year’s membership to The Camping and Caravanning Club included2

As a Club member you’ll also enjoy all these benefits:

Save up to 30% on bookings at over 100 UK campsites

Access to 1,200 Certificated Sites

Exclusive member deals and an award-winning monthly magazine

Already a member of the Club? Click here to buy your Arrival cover.

Let's choose your breakdown cover

Motorhome Breakdown Cover

Ideal for larger units – no weight, height or length restriction

There are no vehicle height, weight or length restrictions. You’re also covered if you wish to tow any vehicle.

Campervan Breakdown Cover

Perfect for smaller motorhomes and campervans under 3.5 tonnes

Your vehicle needs to weigh less than 3.5 tonnes. You’re also covered if you use your campervan to tow a caravan, trailer or trailer tent.

Caravan Breakdown Cover

Cover for your vehicle (as long as it’s under 3.5 tonnes) and your caravan

Any towing vehicle is covered as long as it’s designed to tow a caravan and weighs less than 3.5 tonnes. There are no height, weight or length restrictions for the vehicle you tow.

If you only tow a trailer or trailer tent, please call us on 0330 159 0357 to find out more about our trailer breakdown cover.

How we’re best in the market

Here’s what makes our UK and European caravan, campervan and motorhome breakdown cover better than other providers. Find out more.

Free leisure battery replacement

Unlike other providers, we’ll find and fit a new leisure battery if yours is broken and can’t be fixed – so you don’t get stuck without power on your holiday. You’ll just need to pay for the battery.

Cover for up to 16 people

Our competitors only cover up to 8 people – but even with really large groups, we’ll get everyone moving again if you break down.

Comprehensive European cover

With European Rescue, you’ll get more cover abroad than with any other UK provider, including larger allowances for hire cars and for getting your car to a garage or back home.

Caravan and Motorhome European Breakdown Cover

Breaking down is even more stressful when you’re far from home. So we also offer cover for up to 48 countries in Europe, with a dedicated English-speaking helpline on hand to help you 24/7. So if you’re traveling in Europe, add European Rescue to your annual policy.

Frequently Asked Questions

With vehicle based cover, the vehicle is covered, it doesn’t matter who is driving or towing. With personal based cover, you are covered as the passenger or driver in any eligible vehicle.

Yes, provided you’ve got personal based cover.

Our conventional RAC UK breakdown cover doesn't cover large caravans and motorhomes that exceed 3.5 tonnes, 6.4 metres long including tow bar, 2.55 metres wide and 3 metres high.

Most breakdown providers have these restrictions, you may want to check your terms and conditions, along with your vehicle size and weight, to ensure your cover is valid.

Additionally when you are towing, RAC conventional breakdown cover will not recover you if the fault is with your caravan, only if the fault is with your towing vehicle.

With Arrival we offer additional cover which is not included in our conventional UK breakdown cover:

  • Arrival Follow-on: We’ll tow your caravan or trailer to a second location following recovery of your vehicle, up to 75 miles.
  • Arrival Return: If you’re travelling to a campsite and your vehicle breaks down, if the trip is 2 days or more, we’ll recover the vehicle onward to your campsite, and if the vehicle cannot be repaired before you’re due to leave, we’ll recover you, your passengers, and vehicle (including your caravan or trailer) back home.
  • Assistance if you’ve topped up with the wrong fuel. With Arrival we’ll drain & flush your vehicles fuel system and top it up with the correct fuel.
  • The cost of specialist equipment to recover your vehicle, Arrival covers the cost of specialist recovery vehicles or a crane, etc.
  • Recovery of your vehicle and/or caravan or trailer when it’s stuck in snow, mud, flood or sand, when it’s safe to do so
  • Hire car with a tow bar – essential if your vehicle breaks down whilst you’re towing. With Arrival we’ll try to provide you with a replacement hire car with a tow bar (subject to availability).

Yes, If you only have Standard cover our Patrols will attempt to repair your vehicle at the roadside and if that’s not possible we’ll tow both your vehicle and caravan or trailer up to 10 miles.

If you choose Advanced or Ultimate cover, whether it’s your vehicle or caravan that’s broken down, we’ll help you with recovering both. Here’s how:

  • Arrival Recovery: If your vehicle breaks down we can tow to a single destination anywhere in the UK.
  • Arrival Follow-on: We’ll tow your caravan or trailer to a second location following recovery of your vehicle, up to 75 miles from where we towed the vehicle.
  • Arrival Return: If you’re travelling to a campsite and your vehicle breaks down, if the trip is 2 days or more, we’ll recover the vehicle onward to your campsite. If the vehicle cannot be repaired before you’re due to leave, we’ll recover you, your passengers, and vehicle including caravan or trailer back home.

Yes, if you choose Advanced or Ultimate cover. If you breakdown on holiday and your vehicle can’t be repaired before you return home we’ll take you, any passengers, your vehicle and your caravan back home.

Motorhome cover – there are no restrictions

Caravan cover – there are no restrictions on the caravan, but your  towing vehicle must weigh under 3.5 tonnes.

Campervan cover – the vehicle must weigh under 3.5 tonnes 

Many breakdown providers have these restrictions so be sure to check your policy so that you don’t get caught out if your vehicle breaks down. The overall size restrictions include the tow bar which can often cause vehicles to exceed the length restrictions.

Yes. If you have more than one person covered on a personal breakdown policy, they all need to live at the same address. And if you have more than one vehicle covered on a vehicle policy, they all need to be registered to the same address.

Non-members of the Camping and Caravanning Club purchasing Arrival breakdown cover will receive their Welcome pack for their first year’s membership directly from the Camping and Caravanning Club within 20 working days of your Arrival breakdown policy start date.

If you haven’t received your Welcome pack within 20 working days of your Arrival policy start date, contact the Camping and Caravanning Club membership services team directly on 02476 475387 who will be able to advise.

Yes, if you’re a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club, you can call us on 0330 159 0427 to switch over.

If you're not a member of the Club, then you can call us on 0330 159 0427 to join and switch over. You'll receive Camping and Caravanning Club membership included with your breakdown cover for the first year.

With Arrival Standard cover we’ll tow your vehicle, caravan or trailer up to 10 miles. 

If you buy Arrival Advanced or Ultimate, you'll benefit from the following:

Arrival Recovery: If your vehicle breaks down, we can tow to a single destination anywhere in the UK.

Arrival Follow-on: We’ll tow your caravan or trailer to a second location following recovery of your vehicle, up to 75 miles from where we tow your vehicle.

Arrival Return: If you’re travelling to a campsite and your vehicle breaks down, if the trip is 2 days or more, we’ll recover the vehicle onward to your campsite. 

With RAC Arrival Breakdown Cover, if you top up with the wrong fuel we’ll drain & flush the fuel system, top your vehicle up with up to 10 litres of the correct fuel and if that doesn’t solve the problem we’ll tow you to a local garage so that you can get your vehicle repaired. 

With Arrival European Breakdown added to you membership, you’ll have enhanced cover up to 7 days prior to your planned departure. You’ll be entitled to a hire vehicle whilst your vehicle is being repaired. 

If your vehicle isn’t repaired prior to your planned departure date, you’re covered for up to 23 days hire and can take the hire vehicle to Europe. If your trip exceeds the 23 days hire you’ll be able to arrange and pay to continue hire directly with the hire car provider.

If your leisure battery runs out of charge, we’ll help to source a replacement and arrange for one of our patrols to fit it, subject to availability.

When an RAC patrol attends to fit the new leisure battery, we’ll provide a battery charger to allow you to charge your battery when your caravan or motorhome has been stored for a long period.

If your caravan, motorhome or campervan has a puncture we will send a patrol out to try and help source and fit a replacement.

If the towing vehicle weighs less than 3.5 tonnes then you will be able to buy caravan cover. If it weighs more than 3.5 tonnes then motorhome cover might be a better option as this has no restrictions and cover for your towed vehicle is included.

Motorhome cover will be the best cover option for you as this has no restrictions and allows you to tow.

Yes, RAC’s tyre breakdown extra is available to campervans.

From 1 January 2021 you should make sure you have the following items before travelling to Europe:

  • Insurance green card: contact your insurer to check if you need a green card which is an internationally recognised certificate of insurance. You will need to carry multiple green cards if:

    • you have two policies covering the duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey

    • your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan, you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer/caravan. You also need separate trailer insurance in some countries you have fleet insurance – e.g. one green card for each vehicle

    • Vehicle logbook: take your vehicle log book, known as the V5C form from the DVLA, if you have one to show you are the registered keeper

  • GB sticker: display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle, even if the number plate has the EU symbol. This is not needed in the Republic of Ireland

  • International Driving Permits (IDPs): You will only need to obtain an IDP if you do not carry a photocard driving licence. For example, if you only have a paper licence. You may obtain an IDP from the Post Office at a cost of £5.50. It’s important to realise that different countries require different types of IDP and you may need more than one type depending on which countries you drive through. These should be taken alongside your paper GB or NI driving licence. Different rules apply for those with licences issued in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Gibraltar.

  • Caravan/Trailer registration: some commercial and non-commercial trailers or caravans need to be registered before towing them to or through most EU and EEA countries. Find out more here.

  • Pets: check and follow UK Government guidance for taking pets abroad

  • Taking food and drink to the EU: Milk or meat-based products will need to be consumed before passing the EU border control point, these products are banned unless they have the required paperwork. There are exemptions such as infant foods.  

Visit RAC Drive for everything you need to know about driving in the EU post-Brexit. The full government advice can be found here

You can get temporary van insurance that covers you from 1 hour up to 30 days. It’s fully comprehensive, easy to set up online and top up as you go.

You can travel through Europe in a motorhome – it’s a wonderful way to explore the continent. But you need to make sure you carry the right documents with you. You’ll need:

  • A valid driver’s licence

  • Valid vehicle insurance

  • Vehicle registration documents (your log book, or a VE103 if you’ve rented your vehicle)

  • A UK identifier (a number plate with a Union Jack symbol, or a UK sticker – this is essential if driving in Spain, Cyprus or Malta)

  • If you’re towing a trailer, it needs to be registered

While not legally required, it’s also a good idea to get European Breakdown Cover. If your motorhome breaks down while you’re travelling, you’ll know how to get help straight away. And you could get cover for the expense of repairs or getting your car back home.

With Arrival Breakdown Cover, there isn’t an age restriction on the vehicles we cover. So you shouldn’t have any issues covering a caravan that’s over 10 years old.

Personal breakdown cover applies to any vehicle under 3.5 tonnes in weight. Motorhomes are usually heavier than this, so you’ll probably need to take out motorhome cover to make sure you’re protected.

Yes, our motorhome breakdown cover should cover most RVs. There’s no weight, height or length limit for this type of cover.

If you have motorhome cover and your motorhome breaks down, we’ll do everything we can to get it running again – and if we can’t fix it there and then, we’ll tow it to a garage for repairs.

If you’ve already broken down, please don’t try to buy cover online as it won’t apply. Call us on 0330 159 8743 and we’ll arrange emergency cover for you.

Yes – you can get European breakdown cover for caravans and motorhomes, for single trips, or annual cover for more regular visits. So you’ll be protected on your holidays in IrelandItalyFranceSpain or another country in Europe.

If your car breaks down when you’re towing a caravan, most breakdown cover will usually cover you if it’s below a certain weight and length (usually 3.5 tonnes or 7 metres). But you’ll need specific caravan breakdown cover to make sure you can get help if your caravan is too big, or the caravan itself breaks down (for example it gets a flat tyre) as standard breakdown won’t cover you. So it’s worth getting specific caravan cover.

Standard UK breakdown cover won’t apply if you’re taking your motorhome, campervan or caravan abroad. It’s worth adding European breakdown cover, so you can get hep if you break down abroad.

With the RAC, it’s easy to add European cover. If you often drive in Europe, just add ‘European Rescue’ when you buy your motorhome breakdown cover and you’ll be protected on the continent all year round. Or you can get caravan or motorhome European breakdown cover for single trip.