Complete a survey for a chance to win £100 of M&S vouchers.
Sales enquiries: 0844 891 3111

Search for advice


Driving in Lithuania

RAC can cover you against vehicle breakdown in Europe, with options available to suit your travelling requirements.

RAC European Breakdown Cover Basic and Comprehensive cover provides you with a wide range of benefits.

To supplement European Breakdown Cover, RAC also offer travel insurance. Cover will include medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings, amongst many other benefits.

Listed below are two areas for you to look through before you travel

  • Items you are required to carry
  • Recommended and useful products

If you're driving in Lithuania your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence ' both the photo and paper parts
  • Another photographic form of ID, like your passport
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • Your V5 registration document, if you're driving your own car or motorcycle
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A first aid kit
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Winter tyres, from November to March
  • A Green Card - If you're driving ing into the country, rather than hiring a car once you're there. Contact your insurance company to find out more

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car)

It's a good idea to have:

  • A crash helmet to wear if you're riding a motorcycle
  • Spare bulbs

Other things you should know:

  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available
  • Children under the age of 12 must not sit in the front of the car, unless they're using an appropriate seat restraint
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 90kph on open roads and 110kph on motorways, unless otherwise signposted
  • The drink driving limit for most drivers is 40mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood (less than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml).
  • You must use dipped headlights during the day, when driving through Lithuania
  • If you're in a built-up area, you can only use your horn in cases of extreme danger

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources: Foreign & Commonwealth Office, www.nationaldrivesafe.co.uk

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

There is a low threat from terrorism. See Terrorism.

Petty crime is common. See Crime.

Call 112 if you need to contact the emergency services.

Most visits to Lithuania are trouble free.  

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go - fco.gov.uk/travel
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more