Country-specific travel advice

Select the country you will be travelling in to see motoring information and advice, including any accessories you may need to purchase. Don't forget the RAC provides European breakdown cover while you're driving in Europe.

Driving in Serbia

Population: 7,041,599
Area: 88,361 Km sq
Currency: Serbian dinar

RAC can cover you against vehicle breakdown in Europe, with options available to suit your travelling requirements.

RAC European Breakdown Cover Basic and Comprehensive cover provides you with a wide range of benefits.

To supplement European Breakdown Cover, RAC also offer travel insurance. Cover will include medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings, amongst many other benefits.

Listed below are two areas for you to look through before you travel

  • Items you are required to carry
  • Recommended and useful products

If you're driving in Serbia your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid, full UK driving licence
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate and V5 registration document or hire car paperwork
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • A first aid kit
  • Winter tyres or snow chains if you're driving in wintery weather conditions

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seatbelt at all times
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company
  • An International Driving Permit - find out more here

Other things you should know:

  • Not all insurers cover driving in Serbia so check before you go - if yours doesn't, you can buy temporary cover at the main border crossings
  • You might have to pay motorway tolls of €20-200, depending on the size of your vehicle - these are usually payable in cash so make sure you have some
  • Petrol (leaded and unleaded) and diesel are readily available. You can't get LPG
  • Some parts of the motorway between Novi Sad and Belgrade have two lanes with a hard shoulder on one side only. Some drivers will use the 'middle' lane for overtaking, forcing other drivers onto the hard shoulder
  • Speed limits vary across Serbia, so check the signposts for maximum speeds
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence, whilst driving through Serbia, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • Children under age 12 can't travel in the front seat and must use an appropriate seat restraint in the back
  • The drink-driving limit is 30mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood - much lower than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml
  • Never go off-road in rural areas without an experienced guide - you run the risk of coming across landmines and unexploded devices
  • Some hire car companies won't let you take the car to Kosovo, Albania or Bulgaria because of safety concerns - there have been a few incidents of Serbian-registered cars being targeted in Kosovo
  • In built-up areas you should only use your horn in an emergency
  • Outside built-up areas, use your horn to let the car in front know you intend to overtake
  • In built-up areas, if there's no yellow diamond sign, you must give way to any cars coming from the right
  • Cars coming onto a roundabout have right of way

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

Download  a copy of our full Driving Abroad report.

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources: Foreign & Commonwealth Office,

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of May 2016 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

Still current at:
21st Feb 2017
Updated at:
27th Jan 2017
Latest update:
Latest update: this advice has been reviewed and re-issued without amendment

Most visits to Serbia are trouble-free.

Protests occasionally take place in major towns and cities. These usually remain peaceful, but you should keep up to date with local developments and avoid any large crowds or demonstrations. See Political situation

You may have difficulty entering Serbia if you have a Republic of Kosovo stamp in your passport. See Entry Requirements

There is an underlying threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

Consular section

Resavska 46


Telephone: +381 (11) 3060 900

Fax: +381 (11) 3061 070

(Consular enquiries only - not for visa or passport enquiries)

British nationals who need emergency assitance outside normal office hours should call +381 11 306 0900