Country-specific travel advice

Select the country you will be travelling in to see motoring information and advice, including any accessories you may need to purchase. Don't forget the RAC provides European breakdown cover while you're driving in Europe.

Driving in Denmark

Population: 5.7m
Area: 42,923 sq km
Currency: Danish krone (DKK)

If you're driving in Denmark your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence 
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - unless your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car)
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A first aid kit
  • A Camping Card International to give you additional proof of identity, third party liability insurance, plus discounts at a wide range of campsites and tourist attractions. Find out more here
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company

Other things you should know:

  • You don't have to pay motorway tolls in Denmark - although you do have to pay a toll for the Oresund and Storebaelt bridges
  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available. Leaded petrol contains a lead-replacement additive
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 80kph on open roads and 110kph on motorways (with some signed stretches at 130kph)
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence whilst driving through Denmark, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine and the offence can be reported to the UK authorities
  • The drink driving limit is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood (less than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml)
  • You must use dipped headlights at all times
  • You must indicate when changing lanes
  • A line of triangles means you must give way
  • You should only use your side lights when waiting at a level crossing
  • Buses always have priority
  • Cycling is very popular and cyclists often have right of way - so it's important to keep an eye out for cycle lanes when you're turning right

Useful guides and maps

Michelin - National Map Scandinavia and Finland

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of May 2016 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.
Still current at:
26th Feb 2017
Updated at:
5th Jan 2017
Latest update:
Latest update: Summary - removal of information and advice on Christmas markets

Information and advice for British nationals travelling and living in Europe, following the result of the EU referendum.

There’s been considerable disruption to rail, road and ferry transport between Denmark and Germany. If you’re travelling by road, train or ferry, allow additional time, be vigilant and follow the instructions of local authorities. Check with local media, your carrier, ferry operator Scanlines and Danish State Railways (DSB) for more information.

On 4 January 2016, the Danish authorities increased border controls at the land border with Germany. If you’re travelling to Denmark from Germany using the land border, you should make sure you have your passport with you.

There is a general threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate including in places frequented by foreigners. See Terrorism

Around 150,000 British tourists visit Denmark every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

If you need to contact the emergency services call 112.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.