Get a car insurance quote in minutes
  • RAC members pay 15% less on average when buying direct*
  • 5-star Defaqto rating on RAC Car Insurance Plus
  • Voted Car Insurance Provider of the Year 2023 by Moneyfacts
*Based on sales from 01/01/23 to 30/06/23 of RAC Comprehensive Car Insurance, purchased direct, excluding any additional products and upgrades. Based on average vehicle premium, excluding Finance Fees and IPT. Your premium will depend on your circumstances and the level of cover you choose.

Existing customer? Log in to manage your account 24/7

Car Insurance

RAC Car Insurance covers you if your car is damaged, vandalised, stolen or catches fire. We find customers our most competitive car insurance quotes from our panel of selected insurers. With our UK car insurance, you can choose from three different types of cover – comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party only. Our RAC Car Insurance Plus is 5-star rated from Defaqto and we’ve been voted Car Insurance Provider of the Year 2023.

Get great quality car insurance from a brand you can trust.

Top rated cover
Our RAC Car Insurance Plus is 5 star Defaqto rated
Uninsured driver cover
Keep your no claims discount even if you’re hit by an uninsured driver, comprehensive policies only
Provider of the year

Voted Car Insurance Provider of the Year 2023 by Moneyfacts

When must my car have valid insurance?

Motorists in the UK are required by law to have valid car insurance. Driving without car insurance is illegal and could lead to a fine, penalty points or disqualification.
If you’re involved in any kind of road accident, car insurance can protect you, your vehicle and other road users by providing financial compensation to cover the costs of any damage or injuries.

What type of car insurance do I need?

The minimum legal requirement is third party car insurance. However, this doesn’t cover the potentially high costs of repairing any damage to your car. It also doesn’t cover you if your vehicle is stolen or damaged in a fire. Comprehensive car insurance gives you the highest cover, and protects against damage to your own vehicle, even if you’re to blame for the accident.

How much is car insurance?

The cost of car insurance will vary according to your individual situation. For example, where you live, your age, the car you’re insuring, and any previous driving convictions you might have. See what you could be paying by doing a quick car insurance quote.

What is comprehensive car insurance?

Comprehensive car insurance is our highest level of cover, as it protects both your car and other people's property.
What is third party, fire and theft car insurance?

Third party, fire and theft car insurance is third party coverage. But it also covers your car if it’s stolen or damaged by fire. It doesn’t protect against the cost of repairs.

What is third party car insurance?

Third party car insurance is the minimum legal level of cover you need to drive a car. It covers any damage caused to other people's property but not your own car. It’s usually the cheapest type of car insurance.

What our customers are saying

9 out of 10 customers would recommend RAC Car Insurance

How to get cheaper car insurance

The cost of your car insurance depends on lots of factors and many of them can't be changed. For example, the age of a driver. But to get cheaper car insurance, you could do the following:

 buying a car in a lower insurance group
 building up your no claims discount by driving safely and responsibly
 driving more carefully to minimise risk of an accident
 adding a named driver, which can also help to reduce the cost of car insurance (make sure you aren’t ‘fronting’, which is illegal)
 looking at any difference in cost if you pay annually or monthly
 increasing the voluntary excess you’re prepared to pay on a policy^^
 reducing your mileage
 using your garage to store your car overnight
 passing an advanced motoring qualification, such as Pass Plus.

^^For example, if you set your excess at £150 instead of £50, the cost of your policy should reduce but you should make sure you would be able to pay this amount in event of making a claim.

If you're a younger driver or have recently passed your test, it may be worth considering a specialist policy – such as black box car insurance – which monitors driving behaviour and rewards safe driving. In other words, the safer you drive, the cheaper your premium could be when it comes to renewing your car insurance policy.

Compare RAC Car Insurance policies

We offer four different types of car insurance policy. Our RAC Car Insurance Plus, which is comprehensive and 5-star Defaqto rated. The standard RAC Car Insurance is our next level of comprehensive cover, followed by RAC Third Party, Fire and Theft Car Insurance. We also offer Third Party Only Car Insurance.

RAC Car Insurance Plus – Comprehensive Standard RAC Car Insurance – Comprehensive Third Party, Fire and Theft Car Insurance

60 days EU cover
(at the same level as in the UK)


Uninsured driver promise


Vandalism promise


Courtesy car as standard
(subject to availability and eligibility)


Repairs guaranteed
(for 3 years at approved garages)


Personal accident benefit



Medical expenses

Up to £250

Up to £100

Personal belongings

Up to £250

Up to £150

Transfer Home or Hotel Stay after an accident~


Child seat cover


Window glass cover


Emergency treatment


Replacement locks


Cover for accessories


Sound and sat-nav equipment

Or Unlimited if manufacturer-fitted

Or Unlimited if manufacturer-fitted

Or Unlimited if manufacturer-fitted

New car benefit


You can extend your car insurance cover with our range of optional extras – including breakdown cover, a guaranteed replacement car, key care, and Motor Legal Protection. These can be added to your insurance cover before you pay.

What do I need to get a car insurance quote?
Personal details
We’ll need a number of personal details to give you the most accurate quote, including name, address and telephone number.
Employment status
Let us know if you’re employed full-time, part time or self-employed. Alongside your occupation and who you work for.

What do I need to get a car insurance quote?
Driving history
How long you’ve held your driving license, your license number, and if you’ve had any accidents or previous claims.
Vehicle details
Tell us the model and make of your car. If it’s fitted with an alarm or has any modification. Also estimated mileage and where you park overnight.

Other types of car insurance

Looking for a certain type of car insurance? The RAC offers a range of other insurance products. This includes temporary car insurance, black box car insurance, classic car insurance, and learner driver insurance.

Car Insurance FAQs

Q. What are car insurance groups?

All new car models are assigned to a car insurance group by the Group Rating Panel, which is administered by Thatcham Research. There are 50 car insurance groups, ranging from group No.1 – which includes cars that are the cheapest to insure – to No.50, the most expensive. Insurers will consider the group rating of a vehicle when calculating the price of a policy. So, if your car’s in a lower group, it’s likely to be cheaper to get car insurance in comparison to a model in a higher group.

Q. What are car insurance classes?

Class of car insurance refers to how a driver uses the vehicle they’re insuring. There are usually four main classes of car insurance, but these may differ slightly by provider. ‘Social, domestic and pleasure’ covers a motorist for everyday driving – such as trips to the shops and visits to friends and family, but not travel to and from work. ‘Social, domestic, pleasure and commuting’ adds commuting to a single regular place of work – for example, driving to the office every day.

Business use on your car insurance adds another layer of cover, enabling a driver to use the vehicle as part of their job. For example, driving to multiple sites as well as a single location. If you're driving around the country regularly for work, this class of car insurance would be suitable.

Commercial car insurance is for motorists who use the vehicle itself for business. For example, delivery drivers, taxi drivers and driving instructors.

Q. When do you need business car insurance?

If you’re claiming mileage from your employer or driving for work purposes, it’s a legal requirement that you select business use on your car insurance. If you’re driving for work without business use cover, you’re effectively uninsured. Examples of business use include driving to see clients or driving between multiple work locations.

Business car insurance can be more expensive, as you’re likely to be driving more miles and therefore at greater risk statistically of being involved in an accident.

Q. What is excess on car insurance?

Excess is the maximum amount that you must pay if you claim on your car insurance. If the incident wasn’t your fault, this amount will be refunded to you. For most car insurance policies, you only pay excess if you’re at fault or if the insurer cannot recover the costs from third parties. However, you should check your policy documents to confirm.

There are two types of excess: compulsory and voluntary. Compulsory excess is decided by your insurer. Voluntary excess is decided by you. Choosing a higher voluntary excess could lower your premium. But you should consider if you’re able to pay this amount first. For instance, if your compulsory is £200 and your voluntary is £100, your total excess is £300.

Q. Can I get car insurance for a month?

Most standard, traditional car insurance policies are taken out for a full year. There are alternatives – including RAC Temporary Car Insurance, which you can take out for a short period of time, from one hour up to 30 days, with no long-term contract.

Q. What is no claims discount?

A no claims discount, or no claims bonus as it is also called, is a discount that you get on your car insurance. You usually get this discount for each year you don’t claim. For example, five years without a claim would be five years of no claims discount.

Your no claims discount can be transferred over to a new policy and insurer if you choose not to renew with the same provider. You’ll need proof of this, which you can request from your previous insurer. A named driver on your policy is unlikely to earn any no claims discount.

Q. Does car insurance cover breakdown?

Breakdown cover can be included when you buy car insurance, but this differs from provider to provider. It’s always best to check your policy documents to see if it is included. If you’d like breakdown cover for your business, you can compare breakdown cover from the RAC here.

Q. Can I drive other cars on my insurance?

This all depends on your car insurance policy. Primarily, you will be covered to drive the vehicle stated in your car insurance policy. If you want to drive other vehicles, this doesn't generally come as standard. You should certainly check your car insurance policy terms and conditions before driving another vehicle.

Some comprehensive car insurance policies include Driving Other Cars (DOC) cover, but this is becoming less common. If you expect to drive another car on occasion - such as a spouse or family member - it is advisable to be a Named Driver on their policy. Or, you could look at temporary car insurance which provides cover from 1 hour to 30 days.

RAC policy FAQs

Q. Do RAC members get a discount on car insurance?

RAC members don’t get a set discount for taking out RAC Car Insurance. However, your membership status may be considered by our panel of insurers.

Q. What ages does RAC provide insurance for?

To be eligible for RAC Car Insurance, you need to be aged between 17 and 99.

Q. What modifications affect car insurance?

Modifying your car could affect the price you pay for your car insurance. That’s because what you do could change its performance or value. An insurer might consider a car that is more powerful as a greater risk and therefore charge a higher premium. There are some modifications that could lower the cost, like adding a parking sensor.

Modifications to aid mobility should not impact your quote. However, you will still need to let your insurer know about them before you buy.

Q. Will I lose my no claims discount if it wasn't my fault?

If you make a claim and you were at fault – or if the insurer cannot otherwise recover costs – you’ll usually lose some, if not all, of your no claims discount (NCD). If the accident wasn’t your fault, your insurance provider may be able to reclaim the cost from the other driver involved. If this happens, your NCD could remain unaffected.

The best way to guarantee a no claims discount remains intact is to take out no claims discount protection. With NCD protection, drivers can make a claim without losing the NCD they’ve built up. However, the number of claims allowed over a period of time will differ from policy to policy.

Q. Does RAC Car Insurance provide a courtesy car after an accident?

Both our RAC Standard Car Insurance and our Defaqto 5 star rated RAC Car Insurance Plus come with a courtesy car as standard (subject to availability and eligibility). However, not all car insurance policies will include the provision of a courtesy car in event of loss of, or damage to, the car insured. It's important to check whether your policy provides a courtesy car.

Q. What happens if I am hit by an uninsured driver?

Unfortunately, despite the risks, a large number of motorists drive without car insurance. Being in an accident with a driver who isn’t insured can be particularly frustrating, as your insurer won’t be able to recover any repair costs.

Some policies offer protection against this. When you compare car insurance, it's worth bearing this in mind. RAC Car Insurance Plus includes our uninsured driver promise. So, if you're hit by an uninsured driver and it wasn't your fault, you'll get a refund on any excesses you have had to pay out. Plus, you won't lose your no claims discount.

Q. Can I claim for pothole damage on my car insurance?

Yes, you can claim for damage to your vehicle due to potholes. But your policy excess would apply and any no claims discount you hold would be affected. Pothole damage is covered by the ‘accidental damage’ section of your RAC Car Insurance policy wording.

Q. I’m worried that I might not be able to continue to make my payments – can you help?

Yes, we’re here to help. We’re aware that many things can impact people’s livelihoods and cause financial hardship. If you think you may be unable to maintain your regular policy payments, please contact us as soon as possible on 0330 159 1031. Our opening hours are Monday-Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 8am-6pm.

We have specialists on hand who can discuss your individual circumstances and agree how we can help with your financial situation. There are several ways we may be able to help including moving your payment dates, agreeing partial payments or payment holidays in the short term and removing any fees applied to your policy.

Don’t wait until you miss a payment as we can help you in advance. We ask that you don’t cancel your payments or direct debits as this can result in your policy being cancelled and we don’t want you to be left uninsured, please get in touch with us in the first instance.

Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal

Q. I would like to use my insured car to transport goods within the UK to aid the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Do I need to make changes to my policy?

No, you do not need to inform us and will continue to be covered.

Q. I would like to use my insured car within the European Economic Area to aid the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Do I need to contact my insurer and make changes to my policy?

No, our motor insurance policy will provide, at minimum, third party liability coverage for the duration of the insurance policy. However, we encourage you to check your policy documents carefully for limits of coverage and policy exclusions. In addition, we encourage you to familiarise yourself with regulations around the cross-border transport of goods and abide by any travel advice issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.

Q. Am I allowed to drive in Ukraine when providing aid for the humanitarian crisis?

No, cover does not include driving in the Ukraine. You should also be aware that damage or injury caused by war, conflicts or similar events is common exclusion in motor insurance policies.