Brexit and what it means for RAC Insurance customers

You may have read in the news that in the event of a no deal Brexit, customers who will be driving in the EU after Britain leaves will be required under EU regulations to obtain a Green Card as proof of insurance. This Green Card document will be supplied by insurers and as those who travel without one may be breaking the law, customers are advised to contact their insurer about a month before travelling to obtain one.

A Green Card is also a requirement for EU motorists travelling to the UK.

Among those affected are:

  • People who drive across the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border.
  • Anyone planning to take their vehicle to Europe e.g. a family planning a holiday to France in the Easter holidays.
  • Any freight company planning to transport goods into the EU.

Travelling this year?  

If you’re planning to drive your vehicle in Europe this year, please contact your insurer to let them know your travel plans, allowing 21 days before you travel so they can issue you a Green Card if needed.

Further information

Further information is available from the Government and the following briefings have been made available on their website. Please review these to understand your obligations:

Further information is also available on RAC Drive.

Car, Black Box, and Multicar Insurance customers

Please contact us on 0330 159 1031

Temporary Car Insurance customers

Please contact us on 0333 005 0944

Van Insurance customers

Please contact us on 0330 332 8311 at least 14 days before you travel.

Classic Car Insurance customers

Please contact our partner Hagerty on 0330 159 0728.