LOG IN to manage your policy online 24/7

Car Insurance

At the RAC we’re committed to finding our customers a great deal on their car insurance - you know you're buying great quality cover from a name you can trust, and we find customers our most competitive car insurance quotes from our panel of selected insurers.

If you’re an existing car insurance customer with the RAC, its quick and easy to manage your policy online 24/7. We also have plenty of detailed FAQs which help explain more about our product, plus a range of guides about car insurance and how it works.

New customers can choose from standard RAC Car Insurance or RAC Car Insurance Plus. RAC Car Insurance Plus has been awarded the top 5 Star Rating from Defaqto and is our highest level of comprehensive car insurance cover. You can choose from Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft, and Third Party Only cover with our standard Car Insurance. Compare our car insurance today.

Getting a quote for RAC Car Insurance takes just a few minutes online.

Top rated cover
Our RAC Car Insurance Plus is 5 star Defaqto rated
Uninsured driver cover
Hit by an uninsured driver and it wasn’t your fault? You’ll keep your no claims discount^
Vandalism cover
You won’t lose your no claims discount if your car is vandalised^

Types of Car Insurance

In addition to our standard car insurance cover, we also offer Temporary Insurance to cover short term trips of between 1 hour and 30 days, Multicar Insurance for households with more than one car, and new and young drivers could save money with our Black Box Car Insurance. For those who drive less than 6,000 miles per year, our new Pay by Mile Insurance could save you money.

For learner drivers looking to insure themselves in either their own vehicle or a family member's car, our dedicated Learner Driver Insurance product is perfect for you.

Single Car

5 Star Rated Car Insurance Plus

As the motoring experts, we search a panel of carefully selected insurers to give you our most competitive price. And with 120 years’ experience of serving customers, you know you’re in safe hands when you buy with the RAC.

  • Uninsured driver promise – so you won’t lose your no claims bonus if your car is hit by an uninsured driver and it wasn’t your fault and your excess will be reimbursed

  • 5 Star rated cover – RAC Car Insurance Plus has been awarded 5 stars by independent financial research company Defaqto

  • Vandalism promise – if your car is vandalised, you won’t lose your no claims bonus

Compare the full list of benefits provided by our levels of cover.

Pay by Mile car insurance

Pay by Mile car insurance

Pay when you drive, save when you don't.

If you drive less than 6,000 miles a year (that’s roughly 110 miles a week), the chances are you’re paying too much for your car insurance. Pay by Mile is a fairer type of car insurance for lower mileage drivers. You only pay a few pennies for the miles you drive and a low monthly premium to insure your car while it’s parked. 

  • Save money – We only charge you for the miles you do. The less you drive, the less you pay.

  • Super simple - Just pop a tag in the windscreen, download the app and automatically track your mileage. 

  • No ties – This is a monthly subscription, so you’re not tied into an annual contract. 

Young or new drivers

Black Box Car Insurance

RAC Black Box helps drivers save money by rewarding safe driving

Black Box Insurance, also known as telematics, is a cost effective way to drive down the cost of insurance for new and inexperienced drivers.  Black box technology rates drivers on the way they drive, rather than how their peers drive, giving drivers the opportunity to reduce their premium though safe driving.

  • No curfews - Drive where you want, when you want

  • You choose your annual mileage – We don’t charge you on a per mile basis, unlike some providers

  • No installation fees - We’ll fit the box at time and location convenient to you

  • Uninsured driver promise – so you won’t lose your no claims bonus if your car is hit by an uninsured driver and it wasn’t your fault and your excess will be reimbursed (comprehensive policies only)

2 or more cars

Multicar Insurance

Cover for the whole family with 10% RAC Multicar discount2

If you have up to 3 additional cars in your household you could save with multi-car insurance. For every additional car in your household you insure with us, you’ll receive a 10% discount off the premium. Separate no claims bonus for each car - so yours won’t be affected if another policyholder has a scrape

  • Friends, family and housemates can benefit from discount - as long as you all live at the same registered address

  • 5 Star rated cover – RAC Car Insurance Plus has been awarded 5 stars for five years running by independent financial research company Defaqto

Temporary Insurance

Temporary Car Insurance - only available direct from the RAC

Flexible and immediate short term cover

If you need short term insurance cover immediately, RAC can provide a flexible and cost effective way to make sure you're protected. Our Temporary Car Insurance is designed to cover you to drive another car - or insure someone else to drive your car.

  • Daily insurance - short term cover starts from 1 hour to 30 days, and you can pay by the day

  • Instant cover - if you need insurance urgently, cover can start immediately

  • Range of vehicles covered – we can provide cover for cars, vans and motorhomes, and breakdown cover can be added too

  • Flexible short term cover - benefit from the flexibility of driving another car, or insuring extra drivers on your car

  • Instant peace of mind – our Temporary insurance provides a range of benefits as standard, such as accidental damage, new car replacement, accident recovery and legal liabilities

Got a question or want to learn more? Visit our Temporary Car Insurance page for more details about the policy.

Compare Car Insurance

Compare our full list of benefits here.

RAC Comprehensive Car Insurance
5 Star RAC Car Insurance Plus
Uninsured driver promise
Vandalism promise
Courtesy Car as standard (subject to availability and eligibility)
Repairs guaranteed for 3 years at approved garages
Child Seat Cover
Personal Accident Benefit
Travel home after an accident^^


Third Party Fire and Theft and Third Party Only cover is also available. Compare our levels of car insurance here


Planning to drive in the EU this year?

What does Brexit mean for RAC Insurance customers? Find out what you need to do by following the link below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What do I need to get a car insurance quote?

Obtaining a quote for car insurance only takes around 10 minutes but you’ll need to have certain information to hand. To complete a quote, you will need to provide details including the following:

Personal details
This includes your full name, date of birth and home address including your postcode, as well as contact details with at least one telephone number and an email address. We'll also ask for details about your relationship status, such as whether you're single or married, and if any additional drivers need to be named on the policy.

Employment status
Whether you work and if so, whether that's on a full-time or part time basis, self employed or other. Further details on your occupation and type of business are needed too.

Driving history
How long you've held a driving licence, any accident history and previous claims, and whether you have been declined for motor insurance in the past.

Vehicle details
Further information on the car being insured, including the make and model of the vehicle, whether it is fitted with an alarm, and any modifications which may have been made.
Estimated annual mileage should be provided, as should details on where the vehicle will be parked overnight for example in a garage, parked off road or on the street.

Q. Do we provide a courtesy car after an accident?

Some car insurance policies will include the provision of a Courtesy Car in event of loss of, or damage to, the car insured. It's important to check whether your policy provides a Courtesy Car. Both our Comprehensive Car Insurance and our Defaqto 5 Star Rated Car Insurance Plus come with a Courtesy Car as standard - subject to availability and eligibility.

Q. What happens if I get hit by an uninsured driver?

Unfortunately, each year a large number of motorists drive without car insurance, despite the obvious risks. Being in an accident with a driver who is not insured can be particularly frustrating as your insurer will not be able to recover any repair costs. Some policies offer protection against this - when you compare car insurance it's worth bearing this in mind. RAC Car Insurance Plus includes our uninsured driver promise so if you're hit by an uninsured driver and it wasn't your fault, you'll get a refund on any excesses you have had to pay out plus you won't lose your no-claims discount.

Q. Will I lose my no-claims discount if it wasn't my fault?

A No Claims Discount (NCD), which is also referred to as a No Claims Bonus (NCB) can reduce the cost of car insurance as it rewards motorists who have not had to make a claim on their insurance. If you make a claim and you were at fault, you will usually lose at least some, if not all, of your NCD. If the accident was not your fault, your insurance provider may be able to reclaim the cost from the other driver involved and your NCD could remain unaffected. The best way to guarantee a No Claims Discount remains intact is to take out No Claims Discount Protection. With NCD Protection, drivers can make a claim without losing the NCD they have built up - although the number of claims allowed over the course of a period of time will differ from policy to policy.

Q. What are car insurance groups?

All new car models are assigned to an insurance group by the Group Rating Panel, which is administered by Thatcham Research. There are 50 groups, ranging from group No.1 - which includes cars that are the cheapest to insure - to No.50, the most expensive. Insurers will take the group rating of a vehicle in mind when calculating the price of a policy, so if your car is in a lower group it is likely to be cheaper to insure in comparison to a model in a higher group.

Q. What type of car insurance do I need?

There are three main types of car insurance - comprehensive, third party, and third party fire and theft. Of these, comprehensive offers the most complete cover as it protects your car as well as other people's property. Third party insurance is the minimum legal level of cover required to drive a car. It covers any damage caused to other people's property - but not your own car. Third party fire and theft is standard third party coverage, but it also covers your car if it is damaged by fire or stolen. It's still not protected against the cost of repairs.

If you need a more specialist type of car insurance, we also offer a range of other products - including temporary car insurance, black box car insurance, classic car insurance, test drive insurance and learner driver insurance.

Q. What class of car insurance do I need?

Class of insurance refers to how a driver intends to use the vehicle being insured. There are usually four main classes of insurance, though these may differ slightly by provider.  Social, Domestic and Pleasure covers a motorist for everyday driving, such as trips to the shops and visits to friends and family, but not travel to and from work. Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Commuting adds commuting to a single regular place of work - driving to the office every day, for example.

Business use adds another layer of cover, enabling a driver to use the vehicle as part of their job, perhaps in driving to multiple sites as well as a single location. If your work requires regular driving around the country, this class of car insurance would be suitable.

Commercial insurance is for motorists who use the vehicle itself for business - delivery drivers, taxi drivers and driving instructors.

Q. Can I drive other cars on my insurance?

This all depends on your policy. Primarily, you will be covered to drive the vehicle stated in your car insurance policy but cover to drive other vehicles does not generally come as standard. You should certainly check your policy terms and conditions before driving another vehicle. Some comprehensive car insurance policies include Driving Other Cars (DOC) cover, but this is becoming less common. If you expect to drive another car on occasion - such as a spouse or family member - it is advisable to be a Named Driver on their policy. Or, you could look at temporary car insurance which provides cover from 1 hour to 30 days.

Q. How to get cheaper car insurance?

The cost of your car insurance is determined by a number of factors and many of them can't be changed - such as the age of a driver. But the price of your car insurance quote may be reduced by buying a car in a lower insurance group, building up your No Claims Discounts by driving safely and responsibly, and avoiding accidents. Adding a named driver can also help to reduce the cost of car insurance, as can increasing the voluntary excess you are prepared to pay on a policy. For example, if you set your excess at £150 instead of £50, the cost of your policy should reduce but you should make sure you would be able to pay this amount in event of making a claim.

If you're a younger motorist or have recently passed your test, it may be worth considering a specialist policy such as Black Box Car Insurance, which monitors driving behaviour and rewards safe driving. In other words, the safer you drive, the cheaper your premium could be when it comes to renewing your car insurance policy.

Q. Can I claim for pothole damage?

Yes, you can claim for damage to your vehicle due to potholes, but your policy excess would apply and any No Claims Discount (NCD) you hold would be affected. Pothole damage is covered under the ‘accidental damage’ section of your RAC Car Insurance policy wording.

Q. I’m driving a lot less miles, could I be saving on my car insurance?

If you drive under 6,000 miles a year and are over 21 Pay by Mile car insurance may save you money. Every driver and vehicle combination is unique so we can’t promise it'll be cheaper. Comparing it on a like for like basis, paying as you go could save you up to 26%. If you think your mileage will be increasing, then you can cancel the policy at any point. Don’t worry, there are no cancellation fees. Get a quick quote and find out if you could save.

Q. I’m worried that I might not be able to continue to make my payments – can you help?

Yes, we’re here to help. If you think you may be unable to maintain your regular policy payments, please contact us as soon as possible on 0344 159 1031. Our opening hours are Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5pm, Sundays – closed, Bank Holidays 9am-5pm.

We have specialists on hand who can discuss your individual circumstances and agree how we can help with your financial situation. There are several ways we may be able to help including; moving your payment dates, agreeing partial payments or payment holidays in the short term and removing any fees applied to your policy.

Don’t wait until you miss a payment as we can help you in advance. We ask that you don’t cancel your payments or direct debits as this can result in your policy being cancelled and we don’t want you to be left uninsured, please get in touch with us in the first instance.

Q. I would like to use my insured car to transport goods within UK to aid the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Do I need to make changes to my policy?

No, you do not need to inform us and will continue to be covered.

Q. I would like to use my insured car within the European Economic Area to aid the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Do I need to contact my insurer and make changes to my policy?

No, our motor insurance policy will provide, at minimum, third party liability coverage for the duration of the insurance policy. However, we encourage you to check your policy documents carefully for limits of coverage and policy exclusions. In addition, we encourage you to familiarise yourself with regulations around the cross-border transport of goods and abide by any travel advice issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.

Q. Am I allowed to drive in Ukraine when providing aid for the humanitarian crisis?

No, cover does not include driving in the Ukraine. You should also be aware that damage or injury caused by war, conflicts or similar events is common exclusion in motor insurance policies.

What Does Car Insurance Cover?

Motorists in the UK are required by law to have valid car insurance. Driving without motor insurance is illegal and could lead to a fine, penalty points or disqualification.
If you are involved in any kind of road accident, car insurance can protect you, your vehicle and other road users by providing financial compensation to cover the costs of any damage or injuries. The minimum legal requirement for car insurance is third party, which will provide cover if you cause damage or injury to another person, vehicle, animal or property in a road incident.

However, third party insurance does not cover the potentially high costs of repairing any damage to your own car, or cover you if your vehicle is stolen or damaged in a fire. Upgrading to comprehensive car insurance will provide you with the highest cover and protect against damage to your own vehicle, even if you are to blame for the accident.

Or phone us for a quote on 0330 159 1019

What our customers are saying

5 Star Car Insurance

RAC Comprehensive Car Insurance Plus has been awarded a 5 star rating by Defaqto.