Sales enquiries: 0330 159 1111

Useful Glossary

Carnet de Passage - A Carnet de Passage en Douanes is an internationally recognised Customs document entitling the holder to TEMPORARILY import a vehicle duty-free into countries, which normally require a deposit against import charges for such vehicles (generally countries outside Europe).

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) – If you are ill or injured abroad, the EHIC lets you get state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. It is not a substitute for travel insurance and should be used in conjunction with a valid private travel insurance policy. For more details, visit:

International Driving Permit (IDP) - If you're planning to drive a car abroad you'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for certain countries. This IDP is in addition to your UK driving licence - which you also need to take with you if you're driving and/or hiring a car abroad.

NF-approved breathalyser - As of 1July 2012, it became illegal to drive in France without a NF-approved (Norme Française) breathalyser in your car. You can buy an NF-approved breathalyser at the RAC Shop.

Need more advice?

  • Everything you need to know about driving abroad, in Europe and further afield from one of the UK’s biggest motoring organisations.
  • Up-to-date travel advice by country from the Foreign Office including useful information on renewing passports and how to access support and help abroad.
  • General advice from the Foreign Office on driving abroad and advice on getting an International Driving Permit.




Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more
International Driving Permit
Planning to drive a car abroad? You'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for some countries.
International Driving Permit_img Find Out More