Sales enquiries: 0330 159 1111

Carnet de Passage

Important - From 31st December 2015 the RAC Carnet department will be closing and will therefore no longer issue Carnet de Passages from this date. For more information click here.

If you want to want to know more about Carnet de Passage and the changes we have made in the last 12 months click here.

Carnet de Passage application form

Are you planning to take your vehicle overseas outside Europe?

You may need a Carnet de Passage (customs document).

A Carnet de Passage en Douanes is an internationally recognised Customs document entitling the holder to TEMPORARILY import a vehicle duty-free into countries, which normally require a deposit against import charges for such vehicles (generally countries outside Europe).

RAC is now the only issuer of Carnet de Passage en Douanes in the United Kingdom.

A Carnet is required for travel in:

  • Africa (not required in Tunisia and Morocco)
  • Australia/New Zealand
  • Far East
  • Middle East
  • Recommended in South America

An RAC Carnet is available to anybody normally resident in UK with a UK registered vehicle. Non UK registered vehicles should apply to the motoring club of the country of registration.

Click here for more information about Carnet de Passage.

Frequently asked questions

Applying for a Carnet de Passage

You can apply for a Carnet de Passage from RAC in 3 simple steps

  1. Download the following form:
  1. Gather the following documents:
  • Your fully completed and signed RAC Carnet de Passage Application Form & Terms & Conditions
  • A legible copy of your passport
  • A legible copy of the Vehicle Registration Document/Certificate or equivalent
  • A legible copy of your driving licence
  1. Send your completed application form and supporting documents to:

RAC Carnets
RAC Motoring Services
Great Park Road
Bradley Stoke
BS32 4QN

On receipt of your completed application form we will start to process your application and will forward a no obligation quotation when all the required administration has been completed. Payment can be made by credit/debit card or bank transfer (details can be supplied at application stage).

As security, RAC's insurance indemnity is calculated according to the vehicle chassis value and countries/region of visit. This is included as part of the no obligation quote.

Please be aware we no longer require a separate insurance indemnity form to be completed, this is now included as part of the Carnet de Passage Application Form & Terms & Conditions.

Questions about pricing?

Click here to download the Carnet de Passage pricing list.

What does the Carnet de Passage look like?

The Carnet is an A4 size booklet made up of either 5,10 or 25 pages. A separate page is used to enter & exit a country.

Each page is divided into three sections:

  • The lower section is removed by Customs on entry into a country
  • The middle section is removed by Customs on exit from a country
  • The top (counter-foil) is stamped once on entry and once on exit

Click here for more information about Carnet de Passage.

We are pleased to inform you that a new Carnet de Passage en Douane section has been introduced on the FIA public website. You can find it by clicking on the following link:

The FIA website is a fundamental platform to ensure a wider visibility of the Carnet de Passage at an international level.

On this site you will find information on:

  • the CPD and the Triptych
  • the advantages of the CPD system
  • where to get your CPD
  • how the CPD system functions
  • CPD brochures (in Arabic, English, French and Spanish)

Provided by RAC Motoring Services (Registered in England No: 01424399. Registered office: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall, WS5 4AW), trading as RAC Carnets.

Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more
Breakdown Cover
Choose a level of cover from just £27.99 a year
Breakdown Cover_img Join here
International Driving Permit
Planning to drive a car abroad? You'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for some countries.
International Driving Permit_img Find Out More
Personal Accident Insurance