Ride a scooter or a moped?

Get breakdown cover from £4.75 a month^

Get a quote   

^Monthly prices on a fixed 12 month plan, for 1 vehicle.

Breakdown cover for scooters and mopeds

The RAC offers breakdown cover in the UK for scooters and mopeds over 49cc. And once you’re covered, you can relax knowing help is at hand 24/7 if you break down. With us, you now get a complete breakdown service as standard - because every cover level includes roadside and home rescue, garage support and alternative transport too. You can also choose your add-ons for even more reassurance.

 Get a quote  

What types of breakdown cover are there for scooters and mopeds?

Just like with breakdown cover for cars, there are two types of breakdown cover to choose from for your scooter or moped: 

  • Vehicle breakdown cover. This means your moped or scooter is covered regardless of who is driving at the time you break down. You can buy breakdown cover for up to 3 mopeds or scooters.  
  • Personal breakdown cover. This means you’re personally covered in any vehicle – This could be a moped, a scooter, a motorcycle, a car or any other vehicle that’s covered by our policy.

Looking for motorbike breakdown cover? We also cover motorcycles.

What’s included in breakdown cover for scooters and mopeds?

The RAC has three levels of cover to choose from: Standard, Advanced and Ultimate. These are available for mopeds and scooters of 49cc and upwards.

Here's what's included in each cover level:




Roadside and home rescue
We'll rescue you anywhere in the UK. This is also known as 'roadside assistance' and ‘at home’ cover.
Roadside and home rescue Roadside and home rescue
3 callouts a year
Call on us up to 3 times a year.
Unlimited callouts
You can call on us as often as you need, as long as it’s not for a recurring problem.
Unlimited callouts
10-mile tow
If we can't fix you there and then, we'll tow you to a garage or somewhere else within 10 miles.

Unlimited tow
We'll tow you to any garage or destination in the UK. This is also known as 'national recovery'.

Unlimited tow
20-mile taxi 
We’ll reimburse you for the cost of a taxi from the garage.
Up to 2 days’ hire car or taxi
Get up to £200 to help you stay mobile while your vehicle’s in the garage. This is a type of onward travel.
Up to 7 days’ hire car or taxi
Get up to £500 to help you stay mobile while your vehicle’s in the garage. Again, this is a type of onward travel.
Fault report for the garage
So you can let the garage know what’s wrong.
Advanced garage support
Your patrol will arrange priority access to an RAC garage. And get a repair estimate for you. 
Ultimate garage support
In addition to Advanced garage support, we’ll also arrange a taxi for you from the scene of the breakdown. So you won’t even need to come to the garage with us.

Looking for breakdown cover in Europe?

If you're taking your moped or scooter to mainland Europe or the Republic of Ireland, you’ll need European breakdown cover. Just keep in mind that it’s only available for mopeds and scooters over 125cc.

Why choose the RAC?

We’ve been taking care of drivers for 120 years, so you’re in safe hands with us. Plus our expert patrols have cutting-edge tools to get you back up and running quickly – usually in 30 minutes. 

  • No hidden costs. You won’t be charged for callouts once you’re a member. And if you need labour and fitting at the roadside, it won’t cost you a penny.  
  • 20-mile taxi. If your vehicle’s in the garage, we’ll cover the cost of a taxi up to 20 miles for you and your passengers. 
  • Free accident care. If you have an accident – whether it’s your fault or not – call us first and we’ll come to your rescue on the scene*.
  • Member benefits. Get access to exclusive discounts on vehicle maintenance, airport parking, tickets for days out and lots more. 

 Get a quote  

What’s not covered? 

It’s worth noting that our breakdown cover for mopeds and scooters doesn’t cover the following:

  • Mopeds or scooters under 49cc. We’re unable to cover vehicles under this limit. 
  • Breakdowns outside the UK. If you have a moped or scooter over 125cc, you can buy European breakdown cover.
  • Mobility scooters. We’re unable to offer breakdown for mobility scooters. You’ll need to go to a specialist provider for this. 
  • Tyre Replace is unavailable. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to add Tyre Replace cover for a moped or scooter.