Temporary Van Insurance

Temporary Van Insurance provides van drivers short-term cover for a designated period of time. If you don’t normally use a van but find yourself in need of one for only for a short while, then you may be worried that you will have to take out a year-long policy. Short-term van insurance can help you avoid this entirely, with cover available from 1 hour to 30 days.

The Benefits of Temporary Van Insurance

  • Comprehensive cover available immediately
  • Drive another van or insure extra drivers in your van
  • Available for vans up to 3.5 tonnes
  • Buy online 24/7
  • Only pay for the days you need

Get a Quote 

Who can use Temporary Van Insurance?

  • Small businesses – Not all businesses require vans 24/7, but they may need them from time to time. When they are needed, a temporary policy can prove to be more cost effective than an annual policy.
  • Sole trader – Likewise, a trade worker may only need a van on the odd occasion, in which case a temporary policy can help save them time and money.
  • General Public – Whether you are a family moving your belongings to a new home or a student heading off to university, temporary insurance will give you the opportunity to use a van and move all your items in a safe and practical way.

What to remember when getting Temporary Van Insurance

  • Ensure you are accurate when submitting the number of days you will need to insure the vehicle. Failure to do so can result in your driving illegally.
  • Temporary Van Insurance is only available to drivers who have held a full driving licence for at least 6 months, or at least 3 months if over the age of 25 years.
  • Driving without insurance can result in a fine and possible court prosecution. Even if it is just for one day, do not be tempted to drive without insurance.


If you're looking for short term cover for another type of vehicle, please head over to our Temporary Car Insurance page.

Short-Term Van Insurance

Here at the RAC, we understand that a 12 month policy can sometimes be unnecessary, and in some circumstances can actually be a hindrance. Going through the hassle of getting a one year policy that you know you only need for a short time and then having to cancel it is something we’d all like to avoid. As well as being a bother, it can also be a burden on your wallet, as insurers are likely to charge a penalty fee for cancelling your policy early. This is where short-term van insurance comes in.

For the most part, van policies are the same as standard car policies. However, there are a number of additional factors – such as signage or hazardous materials – that insurers take into account when drawing up a van insurance policy. Likewise, car drivers who intend to drive a van, even for a short period, should also take into account the difference between driving a van and driving a standard car.

Get a Quote 

How to drive a van safely

If you hold a standard car driving licence (category B), then you can drive most vans; the only exceptions are vans that have a gross weight of more than 3,500kg. Even if the van you are driving is under that gross weight, there is a good chance it is still heavier and larger than what you are used to driving. This could make manoeuvring difficult, especially when going around sharp bends or driving under low bridges or barriers.

Due to the additional weight vans can carry, car drivers should also pay close attention to a van’s fuel gauge as they may find themselves having to refill more frequently than usual. Another new experience for car drivers using a van is the lack of a rear view mirror. It is important to ensure a van’s wing mirrors are adjusted properly before setting off as they are normally larger than a car’s wing mirror. Otherwise, you won't be able to see what’s behind you and can put yourself in danger.

The lack of a rear-view mirror and/or rear window can also making parking more of a challenge. To make the process as smooth as possible, once again ensure your wing mirrors have been properly adjusted to have a good view when reversing. If the view is not sufficient then don’t be afraid to look outside your window for a better view – after checking it is safe to do so. Though circumstances can make it difficult, do not rush when parking a van. If you are still experiencing difficulties, don't be ashamed to get out and look or ask someone to help back you in.

Visit our temporary van insurance page for a quote, or for further information on our annual cover visit our van insurance page.