Travel Insurance with enhanced COVID-19 cover

Includes FCDO 'non-essential' European destinations^

Get a quote   

Please check the latest FCDO advice – read our response to COVID-19 here

Travel Insurance

With COVID-19 cover as standard

If you're thinking of booking a holiday again, RAC Travel Insurance offers COVID-19 protection at no extra cost. Peace of mind for single trips, annual multi-trip and the whole family. All our policies provide cover for trip cancellation, medical expenses and personal belongings, and there are a range of additional cover options you can add for Winter Sports, Cruise-cover and Gadget Cover.

New policies sold from the 30th September 2020 include the following as standard:

tick.jpg Cancellation if you have a COVID-19 diagnosis within 14 days of departure

tick.jpg Emergency medical treatment and repatriation if you contract COVID-19 abroad

If you choose ‘Black cover’ you’re covered for unlimited medical expenses. 

^NEW Enhanced COVID-19 Cover Add On

You can now add Enhanced COVID-19 Cover to your policy. You’ll be covered if you visit anywhere in Europe even if the FCDO advises against all but essential travel, solely because of COVID 19. Adding Enhanced COVID-19 Cover is £11 extra for a single trip and £15 for an annual multi trip and covers everyone on the policy. To add it simply select the ‘Enhanced COVID-19 Cover’ when you get a quote.

The Enhanced COVID-19 Cover Add On includes:

tick.jpg Full cover if you visit Europe even when the FCDO advises against all but essential travel if the advice solely relates to COVID-19

tick.jpg Cancellation due to self-isolation if you’re contacted by UK Test and Trace System

tick.jpg Cancellation if you have an adverse reaction to a COVID-19 vaccine

tick.jpg Cancellation for incomplete COVID-19 vaccinations due to illness

This cover is only available to customers travelling to a country within Europe who have taken vaccinations when offered to them. The RAC 10% member discount** is not valid on the Enhanced COVID-19 Cover Add On. For full details and exclusions of the COVID-19 cover provided on new policies take a look at our policy booklet.

Airline failure and cancellations

Emergency medical expenses and 24/7 helpline

Lost and delayed luggage

Travel Insurance with COVID-19 protection as standard

Get a quote  

Phone us for a quote on 0330 159 0981*

COVID-19 update

It is essential that you check the latest Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advice for your destination before you travel. Our travel insurance policies do not provide cover travel to an area where the FCDO advises against all or all but essential travel.

You will need to purchase an Enhanced COVID-19 Add On to cover you for travelling to countries in Europe against FCDO advice (if that advice relates solely to

Stay up to date with the latest rules on the green, amber and red lists on the FCDO website. Please continue to check our FAQ's regularly which will contain the latest guidance.

Can I get travel insurance cover when travelling against the FCDO advice^?

Travelling to a red or amber list country is legal. Travelling to countries on those lists may require you to quarantine on your way out or on your return. It’s important to know that if the FCDO advise against all or all but essential travel to a destination this would invalidate your insurance. However, our Enhanced COVID-19 Cover Add On covers you for travel within Europe even when the FCDO advises against all but essential travel (if the advice relates solely to COVID-19^). To add it simply select the ‘Enhanced COVID-19 Cover’ when getting a quote.

Our cover levels

We’ve got three levels of cover available with varying benefits, so you can find the right cover to suit your needs.

Orange Cover Silver Cover Black Cover
COVID-19 protection COVID-19 protection COVID-19 protection
£3,000 cancellation cover £5,000 cancellation cover £7,500 cancellation cover
£10m emergency medical expenses £15m emergency medical expenses Unlimited emergency medical expenses
£1,250 for personal belongings £2,000 for personal belongings £3,000 for personal belongings
£500 hospital benefit
(max £20 per day)
£1,500 hospital benefit
(max £50 per day)
£2,000 hospital benefit
(max £50 per day)
£250 gadget cover £250 gadget cover £500 gadget cover
£400 personal money £500 personal money £750 personal money
£25,000 legal expenses £25,000 legal expenses £25,000 legal expenses

Single, Annual and Family Travel Insurance

Choose from different types of cover depending on whether you’re planning single or annual multi-trips for yourself or the whole family, all with COVID-19 protection as standard.

Single Trip Insurance

Ideal for one off trips from a day up to 90 days. UK and abroad.

Annual Travel Insurance

Planning multiple trips? This policy covers you for the whole year.

Find out more 

Family Travel Insurance

Want cover for the whole family for a specific trip or annual cover?

Find out more 

RAC customers save 10%**

If you’ve got RAC Breakdown Cover or RAC Car Insurance, you save 10% on single trip, annual multi-trip or family policies with RAC Travel Insurance. Enter or quote your membership or policy number at the time of purchase and we'll automatically apply your discount.

Get a quote 

Travel Insurance optional extras

We offer a range of optional extras in addition to our single trip, annual multi-trip and family policies for winter sports, cruise and gadget cover.

Winter Sports Cover

Gadget Cover

Cruise Cover

Enhanced COVID-19 Cover

Heading to the slopes this winter? If your ski equipment is lost, stolen, damaged or delayed we’ll cover it. The same for piste closures, unused lift passes/hire equipment due to illness or injury, and accommodation benefit if yours is adversely affected by avalanche or landslide.

Add our Winter Sports cover and we’ll make sure you stay on the slopes!

Add our optional Enhanced Gadget Cover to your travel insurance policy to make sure that loss, theft or damage to your favourite devices doesn’t ruin your holiday.

We also cover unauthorised data usage to give you that extra peace of mind should that happen to you.

Are you going on a cruise where you’ll be visiting multiple countries? Make sure you’re covered for all scheduled stops on your route with our Cruise Cover.

Simply add this as a cover option when purchasing and it will be added to your policy.

If you’re travelling to Europe, you can add on our Enhanced COVID-19 Cover^ to any policy. This will cover you even if the FCDO advise against all but essential travel, solely relating to COVID-19. 

Driving post Brexit

Everything you need to know about driving in the EU post Brexit.


16th Dec 2020

Travel Advice

Get the latest advice and information on travel essentials to help your trip run smoothly.


Car Hire Excess Insurance

Protect yourself from unexpected costs when hiring a car from £2.99 a day††

Find out more   

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What does the COVID-19 cover include protection for1?

Please always check your policy schedule alongside your terms and conditions, as our policy coverages have changed since the COVID-19 outbreak, depending upon when you purchased your policy.

New policies sold from the 30th September 2020 include the following coverages as standard;

  • Cancellation cover if you have a diagnosis of COVID-19 within 14 days of your booked departure date
  • Cover for emergency medical treatment and repatriation if you contract COVID-19 while abroad
  • Unlimited medical expenses if you choose Platinum cover
Q. Why do I need travel insurance?

Travel insurance takes out the worry and expense should anything go wrong with your holiday. For example, if you need urgent medical help, are involved in an accident, lose your passport or have to cancel your holiday at the last minute, travel insurance can help to recover the costs you’d otherwise have to pay out for.

Travel insurance may also cover you on holiday if you fall ill due to an existing medical condition. When you get a quote you should let us know of any pre-existing conditions you have – if we can cover your condition you may need to pay a little extra for your insurance, but you’ll have peace of mind you’ll be covered for treatment abroad if you require it.

Q. I’m travelling in Europe – what insurance do I need?

RAC Travel Insurance can provide cover for you whether you’re travelling to France, Belgium, Spain or other European countries.  

Driving in Europe

If you’re planning on driving in Europe, don’t forget our RAC Car Insurance can cover you for up to 60 days in the EU.

Need Breakdown cover too? Our European Breakdown cover can provide cover for roadside assistance, garage labour costs, accommodation costs and getting your car back to the UK.

Also, take a look at our European travel information guide, which will tell you whether you need an International Driving License and how to get one, plus tips on driving in France and the rest of Europe.

You can also purchase European travel kits and accessories via our online RAC Shop.

Q. Will Brexit affect my travel insurance with the RAC1?

We foresee no changes being made to the cover we provide as a direct result of Brexit, but we do regularly review all of our products and pricing to make sure that we are always competitive and meet the needs of our customers.

Q. What if I need to postpone or re-arrange my trip as a result of Brexit1?

If you would like to postpone or rearrange your trip, we will be happy to allow you to transfer your Single Trip cover to the new trip dates, provided this starts within 6 months of the original trip start date. There may be an additional premium if your destination or trip length changes.

Q. Does my policy cover travel disruption or a delay caused by Brexit1?

If you experience a travel delay due to Brexit, the standard cover provided by your policy applies. You may be entitled to a travel delay benefit after a certain period of delay or, if the period of delay exceeds a certain length of time, to additional accommodation and travel expenses. You will need to check the policy that you purchased to understand the cover that is specific to you. Your policy does not treat a delay caused by Brexit or the end of the transition period any differently to any other delay.

If you miss your departure due to traffic congestion or another delay as a result of Brexit, your standard policy cover applies. You have a responsibility to allow adequate time to reach your departure point.

Q. Will my policy cover me for disruption due to border closures?

Border closure is not a covered peril under the cancellation section of our policies. However, we will review individual claims on a case by case basis, depending on your situation. For customers abroad who are unable to return due to border closure the cover will extend free of charge until they are able to return home at the earliest opportunity.

Q. Will my EHIC card still be valid post Brexit?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) let you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

If you apply for a card now, you’ll get the new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

They are both valid if you’re travelling to an EU country.

If you’re travelling to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, your EHIC will be valid up to 31 December 2020. You’ll need travel insurance with healthcare cover if you’re travelling after then.

You can use a UK passport to get medically necessary healthcare in Norway (for example emergency treatment, or to treat a pre-existing condition).
Some people can apply for a new UK EHIC that they can continue to use from 1 January 2021 in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

People who can apply for the new card include:

  • UK students studying in the EU
  • some British State Pensioners who live in the EU and their families
  •  EU nationals in the UK

For details as to how to apply for a GHIC card go to

Q. I have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitling me to free/reduced cost emergency treatment. Do I need insurance?

The EHIC card (that replaced the E111 form) entitles you to state-provided health care in all European Economic Areas and Switzerland. Visit Foreign Commonwealth office or the NHS to find out exactly what you are covered for.

This card does not cover you for private treatment or repatriation back to the UK so it is recommended that you ensure you have sufficient insurance cover for your trip.

Q. Can I get travel insurance for a cruise?

Yes, if you buy our cruise cover option.  You can select the cruise cover option when you choose your cover or call 0330 159 0410 to add this cover to your policy. If you choose to include our cruise cover option, you will see this detailed in your policy schedule.

As cruise holidays cover many different destinations, please ensure you’re covered for each country you’ll be visiting.

Q. Can I get cover for a skiing holiday and my skiing equipment?

Yes, if you buy our Winter Sports cover option - for details on what this covers, please see our Winter Sports page. You can add the Winter Sports cover option when you get your quote or call 0330 159 0410. If you choose to include our Winter Sports cover option, you will see this detailed in your policy schedule.

Our Winter Sports option provides cover for damage or loss of skis and skiing equipment, and piste closure. See the Policy Wording for full details.

Q. What do I do if I need to make a claim before holiday or when I am abroad?

If you need emergency medical assistance you can call +44 (0)203 819 7176*.

Our UK-based, English speaking staff will be on the end of the phone in case of an emergency.

For non-emergency claims, the telephone number and postal address for the Claims Department can be found in your Policy Wording. Make sure you have your policy reference number when you contact the claims team.

You can contact our claims line on  +44 (0) 1403 289 151*.

Q. How do I know if it is safe to holiday in my chosen country and who are the FCDO?

The Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provide up-to-date information and advice for each country and detail if it is safe to travel there. Check the FCDO website prior to travelling.

Information can be found here.

The FCDO are a government agency providing important advice and support for British nationals travelling abroad. They also list the countries that they consider unsafe to visit  .

We won’t cover travel to countries or areas when the Travel Advice Unit of the FCDO or regulatory authority in a country to/from which you are travelling has advised against all, or all but essential travel.

Q. What happens when I need to renew my Annual Multi-Trip policy?

We will remind you at least three weeks before your policy is due to expire and give you instructions on how to renew.

Q. Am I insured for holidays in the UK?

Yes, if you have purchased an annual multi trip policy. Any trip not exceeding the maximum trip length as confirmed in your policy schedule is covered within your home area where you have pre - booked at least two nights’ accommodation in a hotel, motel, holiday camp, bed and breakfast, holiday cottage or similar accommodation which is rented for a fee.

Q. What happens if my medical conditions change after I have purchased a policy?

If any of your details change then you will need to contact RAC Travel Insurance on 0330 159 0409 as soon as possible to update your policy.

If your details have changed and you travel without informing us of the changes then we may be unable to honour any claims which arise.

If you have a query about your policy, would like to renew or make a claim, find all the contact details here


If you have a query regarding RAC Travel Insurance, read our frequently asked questions


An extensive glossary of all the terms relevant to your RAC Travel Insurance policy

We also cover

We’ve got three levels of annual cover available with varying benefits, so you’ll be able to find the right cover to suit you


RAC Travel Insurance will make sure that you have cover for the whole family when you go away


We want you to be able to relax on your holiday, so we offer medical Travel Insurance to help you should you need it


Whether you’re travelling just once, or taking to the slopes several times throughout the year, we’ll ensure that you’re covered


Make sure your smartphones and tablets are covered on holiday by adding our optional Enhanced Gadget cover to your policy.


Protect yourself from unexpected costs when hiring a car. Daily cover from the equivalent of £2.99††


Pay-by-day car insurance from 1 hours-30 days


** You must have a standalone RAC Breakdown policy or RAC Car Insurance policy and provide your membership or policy number at the time of purchase to qualify for the 10% discount. RAC Travel Insurance must be purchased directly from us and this discount is not available on price comparison websites. The discount will not apply to premiums for pre-existing medical conditions, extended gadget cover or the Enhanced Covid-19 Cover Add On. The offer can be withdrawn or amended at any time.

* Calls from landlines may be charged up to 9p per minute, plus a 15p call set up fee. Calls from mobiles may cost between 8p and 40p per minute. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded.

^ Our Enhanced Covid-19 Cover Add On covers you for travel within Europe even when the FCDO advises against all but essential travel if the advice solely relates to COVID-19. This cover is only available to customers who have taken vaccinations when offered to them. 

††Based on UK resident buying a single trip policy to cover 10 days car rental in Europe.

1 Please note that cover is subject to the policy terms and conditions, for full details please refer to your policy wording.

RAC Insurance is a trading name of RAC Financial Services Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 5171817. Registered office: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall, WS5 4AW. RAC Financial Services is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No. 313989. RAC Travel Insurance is administered by Hood Travel Limited 52/54 Alexandra Street, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 1BJ. Registered in England No. 08318836. Hood Travel Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No.597211. Hood Travel is an insurance intermediary providing a non-advised service. We act for and on behalf of the insurer.  RAC Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE, a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.

© 2021 RAC Motoring Services. All rights reserved.