Read our response to COVID-19 here.

Existing customer? Log in to manage your account 24/7

Learner Driver Insurance

Want some extra practice behind the wheel?

Learn to drive with our RAC Learner Driver Insurance. Whether it’s your car, or a friend or family member’s – you can get cover from just a few hours up to five months. It’s flexible, so you can top up as you go. That way, you only pay for the cover you need until you’ve passed your test.

Our learner driver insurance is always fully comprehensive. And for even more peace of mind, there’s no impact on the main driver’s no claims discount if you need to make a claim while driving their car.

Say hello to flexible learner driver insurance from the RAC

Quick and easy
Buy online 24/7 and your cover's active within 15 minutes
Only pay for the cover you need, from 2 hours to 5 months*
Peace of mind
There's no impact on the main driver's no claims discounts

What is learner driver insurance?

RAC Learner Driver Insurance (or provisional driver insurance) is a short-term car insurance policy for learners with a provisional licence. It covers you for private lessons and practicing before you take your driving test. It’s a separate policy to the vehicle owner’s existing annual car insurance and is fully comprehensive. You must have a driver in the car with you who is aged between 25-75. And they must have had a full UK driving licence for at least 3 years.

Benefits of learner driver insurance for you

  • Fully flexible: buy a policy online 24/7 by the hour, day, week or month, from 2 hours up to 5 months*
  • Instant cover: you’ll be covered within 15 minutes – or up to 28 days in advance.
  • A range of cars: we’ll cover you in a wide range of cars, including most family cars. See our vehicle eligibility criteria below. 
  • Learn in your car or someone else’s: you just need to make sure you have the owner’s permission. Read our advice for supervising a learner driver. 
  • No curfews: if you use your own car, you can drive at whatever time you like.

Benefits of learner driver insurance for parents

  • No impact on your no claims discount: as this is a separate policy, your no claims discount won’t be impacted if the learner has an accident whilst driving your car.
  • No increase to your policy cost: adding a learner onto your existing insurance policy could increase the price.
  • No mid-term change fee: you could be charged a change fee for adding a learner to your own policy.

What's included with learner driver insurance?

RAC Learner Driver Insurance is fully comprehensive. Here’s what’s included:

What's included
 Cover if the car is written off and for accidental damage, fire, theft or attempted theft

 Legal liability if another person is injured or dies, or their property is damaged (up to £5 million per claim)

 Medical expenses for anyone injured in the vehicle

 Sitting the driving test

Read our full policy requirements here.
As the driver, you must:
  • hold a current provisional UK driving licence

  • be a permanent UK resident

  • have an address shown on your provisional driving licence which matches the address on this insurance policy

  • have had no claims or incidents likely to give rise to claims

  • have no penalty points on your licence

  • have had no motoring offences or convictions

  • have not been convicted of any offence relating to fraud, robbery, theft, or handling stolen goods including any pending prosecution or police enquiry

  • Your vehicle must:
  • be registered in the UK

  • have a current market value of less than £40,000

  • have no more than 7 seats (including the driver's)

  • not have been modified

  • not be a hire or rental vehicle

  • not be a seized vehicle or in a police compound

  • not be used for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward

  • not be used to carry hazardous goods

  • not be used or driven at any hazardous location

  • Read our full policy requirements here.

    Once you've passed your test, safe drivers can save on their insurance with our RAC Black Box Car Insurance.

    What our customers say

    Our partners Dayinsure are rated 4.8 out of 5 on TrustPilot (01/02/2021). And we’ve been looking after motorists for over 120 years, so you know you’re in safe hands when you buy learner driver insurance from the RAC.


    Trustpilot logo

    What our members say

    Learner driver insurance explained

    Q. How do I contact the RAC about my learner driver policy?

    More details on how to get in touch about your policy can be found on our existing customers page.

    Q. Do you need special insurance for learning to drive?

    If you’re practicing in your own car, yes. If you’re using a friend or family member's car, you need to make sure their insurance policy covers you as a learner driver. If not, you’ll need to take out separate learner driver insurance. This can be done alongside their existing car insurance. With an RAC Learner Driver Insurance policy, the no claims discount of the car owner won’t be affected if you need to make a claim.

    Q. Can I get insurance with a provisional licence?

    Yes, you can get insurance with a provisional driving licence. There are specific policies for learners - Provisional Driving Insurance or Learner Driver Insurance.

    Q. How much does an RAC Learner Driver Insurance policy cost?

    Prices depend on the make and model of the vehicle, as well as your address, policy duration and payment method. It’s easy to get a quote here.

    Q. How soon can my learner driver cover start?

    It only takes a few minutes to get a quote and you’ll be covered to drive within 15 minutes. Or you can buy now and defer your start date for up to 28 days.

    Q. Does the accompanying driver have to be the vehicle’s owner?

    No, as long they are between the age of 25-75 and have held a full UK driving licence for at least 3 years. If you aren’t using your own car, you must have permission from the owner.

    Q. Can more than one learner driver be insured on the same car?

    Yes, but each driver will need to have a separate policy.

    Q. Will RAC Learner Driver Insurance cover me in my own car?

    Yes, it will. The vehicle doesn’t have to be insured annually, and there’s also no curfew, so you can drive at whatever time of day you like. What’s more, if you’re using your own car, our policies start from just 1 months’ worth of cover.

    Q. Will RAC Learner Driver Insurance cover me to drive a different vehicle?

    Yes, but you will need to buy a separate RAC Learner Driver policy for each car you wish to drive.

    Q. Can I use an RAC Learner Driver Insurance policy to take my test?

    Yes, as long as you’re taking your test in the car specified on the policy. But please remember cover stops as soon as you pass your test. You’ll need to make alternative insurance arrangements to drive the car back from the test centre.

    Q. Can a provisional driver be added to an existing annual policy?

    Yes, a provisional licence holder can be added as a ‘named driver’ to an existing annual policy. Any changes to an existing policy should be discussed with the existing insurance provider. However, adding a provisional driver to an existing policy is likely to increase the price of the premium up for the remainder of the policy year, and there may also be an administration fee.

    That’s why we offer learner driver insurance, as it means learners don’t have to pay for a full year of insurance. And, most importantly, if they’re involved in an incident while borrowing someone else’s car, it won’t affect the no claims discount of the main policyholder.

    Q. Am I covered to drive at any time day or night?

    RAC Learner Driver Insurance allows you to practice driving under supervision. That means you're only covered between 6am and midnight, even for emergencies. This restriction is there to reduce the risk of fraud and to keep our prices competitive for learner drivers.

    However, if you’re driving in your own car, this curfew doesn’t apply. You’ll be covered to drive at any time of day.

    Q. Can I buy a learner driver insurance policy if there is no annual cover on the vehicle?

    Only if you are driving your own car. If you are using someone else’s car, an existing annual insurance policy must be in place for that vehicle for the duration of your RAC Learner Driver Insurance policy.

    Q. What if I cancel more than 14 days after the policy start date – can I get a refund?

    You’re entitled to cancel your policy at any time. As long as there haven’t been any claims, or incidents likely to lead to a claim, you’ll be entitled to a refund of unused premium.

    If you cancel the policy before cover has started, you’ll be entitled to a full refund of your premium. If you cancel the policy after cover has started, you’ll be entitled to a partial refund of premium. Please visit our Existing Customers page for further information.

    Q. Can I learn to drive during lockdown?

    Please see our Covid-19 page for further information about driving in lockdown.

    Q. Will my policy appear on the Motor Insurance Database (MID)?

    We guarantee to update the Motor Insurance Database (MID) every 7 days and in some cases more often but we recommend always having a copy of your Insurance Certificate with you during the period of cover. You can drive the vehicle legally between the dates and times shown on the insurance certificate issued to you.

    Q. Will it affect the car owner's no claims bonus if I claim?

    If you have an RAC Learner Driver Insurance in place, then you can make a claim without it affecting the no claims discount of the car’s owner.