Learner Driver Insurance
Want some extra practice behind the wheel?
Learn to drive with our RAC Learner Driver Insurance. Whether it’s your car, or a friend or family member’s – you can get cover from just a few hours up to five months. It’s flexible, so you can top up as you go. That way, you only pay for the cover you need until you’ve passed your test.
Our learner driver insurance is always fully comprehensive. And for even more peace of mind, there’s no impact on the main driver’s no claims discount if you need to make a claim while driving their car.
Say hello to flexible learner driver insurance from the RAC
What is learner driver insurance?
RAC Learner Driver Insurance (or provisional driver insurance) is a short-term car insurance policy for learners with a provisional licence. It covers you for private lessons and practicing before you take your driving test. It’s a separate policy to the vehicle owner’s existing annual car insurance and is fully comprehensive. You must have a driver in the car with you who is aged between 25-75. And they must have had a full UK driving licence for at least 3 years.
Benefits of learner driver insurance for you
- Fully flexible: buy a policy online 24/7 by the hour, day, week or month, from 2 hours up to 5 months*.
- Instant cover: you’ll be covered within 15 minutes – or up to 28 days in advance.
- A range of cars: we’ll cover you in a wide range of cars, including most family cars. See our vehicle eligibility criteria below.
- Learn in your car or someone else’s: you just need to make sure you have the owner’s permission. Read our advice for supervising a learner driver.
- No curfews: if you use your own car, you can drive at whatever time you like.
Benefits of learner driver insurance for parents
- No impact on your no claims discount: as this is a separate policy, your no claims discount won’t be impacted if the learner has an accident whilst driving your car.
- No increase to your policy cost: adding a learner onto your existing insurance policy could increase the price.
- No mid-term change fee: you could be charged a change fee for adding a learner to your own policy.
What's included with learner driver insurance?
RAC Learner Driver Insurance is fully comprehensive. Here’s what’s included:
What our customers say
Our partners Dayinsure are rated 4.8 out of 5 on TrustPilot (01/02/2021). And we’ve been looking after motorists for over 120 years, so you know you’re in safe hands when you buy learner driver insurance from the RAC.