Van Insurance

Keep your business moving with our specialist van cover

Get a quote   
Retrieve a quote   

I'm already a customer

LOG IN to manage your policy online 24/7

Van Insurance

We make buying van insurance simple. Whether you require business van insurance or private van insurance, you can tailor your cover to fit your lifestyle. You can even add optional extras to your van insurance, such as RAC Breakdown Cover, helping you save money in the long run.

FREE Motor Legal Protection if selected

Extra discounts available for RAC Members

Windscreen & window repair & replacement cover

Why choose RAC Van Insurance

Flexible insurance cover from a brand you can trust

24/7 legal helpline
24/7 legal helpline
Free legal advice on motoring issues, if option selected
Self service
Self service
Quote, buy & manage your policy online 24/7
UK claims helpline
UK claims helpline
Our dedicated claims team are available 24/7

Supercharge your cover with our range of optional extras

RAC Breakdown Cover from £47.99 a year
Choose from 3 cover level options to keep your business moving in the event of a breakdown. 

Tools in Transit cover from £46.00 a year
Choose between £1k, £2.5k and £5k cover for your tools or other equipment should they be damaged in transit or whilst loading or unloading.

KeyCover for £8.50 a year
Cover for replacing lost home or vehicle keys up to the annual limit of £1,500.

Motor Legal Protection FREE if selected
Up to £100,000 of legal expenses to help claim back any uninsured losses if you’re involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault. 

Select which optional extras you’d like during the online web journey.

Add RAC Breakdown Cover to your policy from £47.99

Don’t let a breakdown disrupt your day. Our patrols fix 4/5 on the spot. With repairs done in just 30 minutes on average, taking the worry out of motoring for our policyholders.

Planning to drive in the EU this year?

What does Brexit mean for RAC Insurance customers? Find out what you need to do by following the link below.

Find out more  

How to get cheaper van insurance

The cost of your van insurance depends on lots of factors and many of them can't be changed. For example, the age of a driver. But to get cheaper van insurance, you could do the following:

 Buy a van in a lower insurance group

 Build up your no claims discount by driving safely and responsibly

 Drive more carefully to minimise risk of an accident

 Add a named driver, which can also help to reduce the cost of van insurance (make sure you aren’t ‘fronting’, which is illegal)

 Look at the difference in price between paying annually or monthly

 Increase the voluntary excess you’re prepared to pay on a policy**

 Reduce your mileage

 Use your garage to store your van overnight

 Install an alarm system or tracking device in your van

**For example, if you set your excess at £150 instead of £50, the cost of your policy should reduce but you should make sure you would be able to pay this amount in event of making a claim.

What do I need to get a van insurance quote?

Getting a van insurance quote takes less than 10 minutes. You’ll need to provide the following information:

Personal details

This includes your full name, date of birth and home address including your postcode, as well as at least one telephone number and an email address. We'll also ask for details about your relationship status (i.e. whether you're single or married), and if any additional drivers need to be named on the policy.

Employment status

Whether you work and if so, whether that's on a full-time or part time basis, self-employed or other. We’ll also need more details about your occupation and the type of business you work for.

Driving history

How long you've held a driving licence, any accident history, and previous claims for yourself and any named drivers. Plus, whether you’ve been declined for motor insurance in the past.

Vehicle details

More information on the van you’re insuring – including the make and model, whether it’s fitted with an alarm, and any modifications that may have been made. Estimated annual mileage and where the vehicle will be parked overnight.

Vehicle usage

Whether the van will be used for business or personal use and if the vehicle is sign written, has any internal racking and is used to carry any hazardous goods.

Personal vs business van insurance

 Personal van insurance or SDP (social, domestic & pleasure)

This will cover you for social purposes only, like shopping and seeing friend and family at the weekend.

 Personal van insurance + commuting

This will cover you for social purposes, as well as driving and from a single, permanent place of work.

 Business van insurance with ‘carriage of own goods’

With this type of insurance, you’ll be covered for commuting to and from work, as well as protecting your goods or someone else’s goods that you hold in your van.

 Business van insurance with ‘haulage’

This type of cover is ideal for those who carry goods on behalf of a third party, generally over a long distance. For example, a removals company that uses a van.

Temporary or short-term van insurance

Temporary cover is also available for vans under 3.5 tonnes in weight. Purchased online, this policy offers great flexibility when borrowing a van or if you plan to share the driving. Instant cover available for 1 hour to 30 days, with the ability to add extra hours online if needed.

For more information or to get a quote, please see our temporary van insurance page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What do I need to get a van insurance quote?
To get a quote for RAC Van Insurance please have the following information to hand:

  • Full details of the make and model of your van
  • The exact year your van was registered (not just the registration letter)
  • The date of birth of all drivers
  • Drivers licence and No Claims Bonus details
  • If any of the drivers have any motoring claims or convictions, exact dates of these will be required
Q. What cover can I get for my van?
We offer 3 levels of cover, Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft and Third Party Only, all of which offer up to £100,000 worth of FREE motoring legal cover if selected. You can also add optional extras to your policy including:
  • RAC Breakdown cover
  • Tools in transit cover
  • Guaranteed Replacement van
  • Excess Protect
  • Motor Legal Protection
  • Keycare
Q. Can I get temporary or short-term van insurance?

Yes, we offer short-term cover of between 1 hour and 30 days. Please visit our Temporary Van Insurance page for information or to get a quote.

Temporary van insurance is suitable for general use, for example, moving house, or for small businesses or sole traders requiring short-term cover for van use. Cover is not available for rental vans.

Q. How old do I have to be to drive a van?
You are permitted to drive a van from the age of 17 with a valid provisional licence, subject to the usual legal requirements and driver obligations.
Q. Can I insure more than 1 van?
Yes, you can cover multiple vehicles with RAC Van Insurance and these will stand as separate policies.
Q. Can I get van insurance just for social, domestic and pleasure?
Yes, we can provide a quotation for social, domestic and pleasure use for example if you just use your van for hobbies. You can select this option when getting a quote online.
Q. Are there any weight or load restrictions?
We can quote for vehicles up to a maximum of 3.5 tonnes.
Q. What are the penalties for overloading?

Your claim may be refused if you or any of your party are not using the vehicle in accordance with the terms and conditions of your policy.

It is against the law to drive a vehicle that has exceeded its maximum permitted weight (known as Gross Vehicle Weight, or GVW).

Q. Can I leave my tools in my van overnight?
Tools left in a van overnight will not be covered under our van insurance policies.
Q. Does your insurance cover me travelling to Europe?

In most cases our insurance policies offer cover for driving in the EU. You can review the insurance Policy Wording when you get a quote to confirm the cover is suitable for your needs before you buy. Alternatively, you can discuss with an agent via live chat.


If you have already purchased a policy and are unsure what cover you have, please refer to your Policy Wording in the first instance.

Q. Am I covered to transport hazardous goods, such as gas?
We cannot offer insurance to vehicles that will be used to carry hazardous goods or liquids. 
Q. Can I fit my own shelving or racking?
If you have fitted any internal or external racking you can select this option when doing your quote.
Q. Do you provide cover if my vehicle was to break down?

We offer three different levels of van breakdown cover that can be added to your standard insurance cover. You can select this when you get your quote.

In addition, we also offer Replacement Van cover as an optional extra, which would provide you with an alternative vehicle while yours is being repaired following an incident.

Q. Can I amend my policy online?

Yes. You can log in to your online account any time to make these changes to your policy:

  • Change of vehicle
  • Change of use
  • Change to personal details such as name, date of birth, occupation or contact details
  • Change to drivers on the policy
  • Accept your renewal
  • Upload and download documents
  • Amend your marketing preferences
  • Amend your auto renewal preference

Just so you’re aware, here are our fees and charges for amendments:

Change made online yourself: £15.00
Change made via the call centre: £35.00

Q. I’m worried that I might not be able to continue to make my payments – can you help?
If you think you may be unable to maintain your policy payments, please contact us as soon as possible to discuss on 0333 070 2661 . We have specialists on hand who can discuss your individual circumstances and agree how we can help with your financial situation.
Q. Is my van insured?
To find out if your van is insured, you can check using the motor insurance database. Here you can check if your van has valid insurance, as well as the insurance of any other vehicle if you’ve been involved in a road traffic accident.

All the information you need to amend or renew your policy or make a claim.


How does Brexit affect RAC Insurance customers? Our handy guide explains what you need to do and when.


Explore more about our product, the NCD process, payment issues and more.

Van insurance news and advice

Van Insurance Groups have a major impact on the cost of your insurance policy.


Knowing how to compare van insurance cover levels is essential to choosing the right policy for you and your vehicle.


Choosing a level of cover that suits you and your van depends on a number of factors, such as the value of your van and where you store it.


This guide is designed to help explain why in some cases, your insurer might not pay-out.


Our Guide to avoid Overloading a Van will help you keep your vehicle both safe and legal on the road.

We also offer

Choose from standard RAC Car Insurance or RAC Car Insurance Plus with a Defaqto 5 Star Rating.


Short term car insurance from 1 hour to 30 days.


RAC Learner Driver Insurance offers flexible, short term cover whilst you gain experience behind the wheel. Buy comprehensive cover online 24/7.


Black Box Insurance saves new and young drivers money by rewarding safe driving.


Protect yourself from unexpected costs when hiring a car. Daily cover from the equivalent of £3.49††


With COVID-19 Cover as standard.


Temporary Van Insurance provides van cover for a short period of time. Get a quote here at the RAC today.


The RAC's Car Breakdown Cover will get you back on the road and give you complete peace of mind. Get outstanding roadside assistance with the RAC.


RAC European Breakdown Cover provides you with peace of mind and single-trip or annual cover you can rely on during your holidays.


Get 14 days’ European breakdown cover for £4.17 a day^


Drive to Europe on a regular basis? Then annual European cover will give you complete peace of mind all year round.