How to compare van insurance cover levels

Knowing how to compare van insurance cover levels is essential to choosing the right policy for you and your vehicle – you need to understand what your insurance needs are, what the RAC Van Insurance standard cover provides and how our additional levels of cover compare.

Tempting as it is to go with the cheapest insurance policy, it may not meet all your needs and you may end up paying more in the long run.

Our RAC insurance guide will help you understand what options are available, how they differ and which level of cover is best suited to your needs.

RAC Van Insurance cover options

At the RAC, we like to make motoring affordable for our customers. Which is why we search a panel of leading insurers to find you our best price for your van insurance needs.

In the event of an accident or theft, making sure you have the right van insurance to get you up and running as quickly as possible can help to minimise any potential loss of earnings and disruptions to your everyday comings and goings. With the RAC’s van insurance policies, you can choose from three levels of cover:

  • Third party – This is the minimum level of cover required by law in the UK. It covers liability for injury to others (including passengers), damage to other peoples’ property and liability whilst towing a caravan or trailer. It doesn't cover accidental damage to your own vehicle – any repairs you need to make to your van will have to be paid by you.
  • Third party, fire and theft – This offers you protection if your van is stolen, attempted to be stolen or damaged in a fire.
  • Comprehensive – With this level of cover, you’ll be protected for damage to the van, property and yourself, even if you are at fault (limits may apply).

No matter what level of RAC Van Insurance you choose, you’ll benefit from the following great features, at no extra cost:

  • Windscreen cover for comprehensive policies
  • Liability for passengers
  • Emergency treatment

In addition to these great policy features, you can also buy additional cover to suit your specific needs, these include:

  • RAC Breakdown Cover
  • Motor Legal Protection cover
  • Tools in Transit cover
  • Key cover
  • Replacement Vehicle cover
  • Excess Protection cover

Contact us today

Find further information here on van insurance or alternatively, get a quote for your van insurance online.

If you need to insure your van for a short period of time, the RAC’s Temporary Van Insurance option is right for you. Get cover for your van from one hour to 30 days.