Bungalow Insurance

If you live in a bungalow, instead of a house on more than one level, the price of your home insurance may be affected. Here are some of the factors you should be aware of.

What is classed as a bungalow?

A bungalow is typically a house with just a single storey, instead of two or three storeys. Some houses might have a half level, with upper rooms set into the roof, and designed with dormer style windows. These buildings might be known as chalet bungalows, but are still technically bungalows in many cases. Traditionally, bungalows have been popular with older homeowners, particularly senior citizens, because there are no stairs to negotiate – a positive for any members of the household who may have mobility issues.

Home insurance for a bungalow

In many areas, home insurance for a bungalow is similar to any other type of domestic property. Whether you live in a bungalow, semi-detached house, detached house or flat, you should make sure you have the right level of protection and insurance cover in place.

Buildings insurance is not required by law, but most mortgage providers will insist that you take out a policy before they give you a loan. Contents insurance is optional – but if you want the contents within your home to be protected against potential damage or theft, you really should have a policy in place.

When you get a quote for home insurance – whether you are getting one for the first time, as a first time buyer, or you’ve moved into a new property – you’ll be asked to confirm the type of property you are insuring. Make sure you select bungalow.

Bungalows and rebuilding costs

Just because you own a property that isn’t on two floors, it doesn’t automatically mean that your home insurance will be half the price. But, when it comes to calculating the cost of buildings insurance, one of the most important factors is working out the rebuild cost of your property. 

The rebuild cost, as covered in more detail here, is the price you’d pay if there was significant damage to your property – and in fact, if you are required to completely rebuild it.

In theory, because you may only have a single storey to potentially completely repair, the rebuild costs for your bungalow could be lower. This might result in a cheaper home insurance policy price, but don’t assume it will. Your home insurance provider will make the decision on that.

Are bungalows a greater security risk?

Some insurers may rule that a bungalow poses a greater risk, in terms of security. Why? Well, some might consider that, because the property is all on one level, it’s easier for thieves and intruders to gain access. With more ground floor rooms to the property, there are potentially more entrance points for a burglar.

Also, because of the perception that elderly people favour owning and living in a bungalow, burglars could consider certain properties to be an easier target.

If you live in a bungalow and are concerned at all about security, read our burglary prevention and home security tips here.

There might also be a greater risk of damage to a bungalow in the event of a fire or a flood. With a house on two or three levels, a flood might just affect the ground floor, leaving upper floors unscathed. Your possessions and furniture on those upper floors might escape any damage. But, when a bungalow floods, there is a risk of everything in the home – everything you own – being badly damaged.

This, then, might affect your contents insurance, so it’s important you have sufficient cover in place. Make sure you calculate the value of your contents as accurately as possible – our contents calculator can really help.

If you need to renew your home insurance or are looking to take out a policy for the first time, get a quote from RAC Home Insurance. You can get a quote online here, or call us on 0333 070 2666 to discuss cover with us over the phone.

Related Articles

If you own a flat, instead of a house, does this make any difference to the cost of your home insurance? The RAC looks at the potential impact in this guide.


If you rent your home, do you need to bother with insurance? Actually you do - this RAC guide takes a closer look at contents insurance for tenants.


RAC explain what home insurance you need if you are renting a property, click here to find out more.