Breakdown Cover FAQs

Other Frequently Asked Questions

Yes - our experienced and friendly UK Rescue call centre teams are on hand 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Q. Am I covered by RAC Breakdown if my windscreen gets broken or damaged?

No, RAC Membership does not cover windscreen damage.

Q. If I lose my car keys and cannot get into the car, would that be covered?

Yes, we would attempt to unlock your car. However, if we are unable to open your vehicle for any reason, we will arrange for a locksmith to attend where available, but you will be responsible for the costs. If a locksmith is not available, we shall arrange for your vehicle to be taken to a nearby garage for assistance but you will have to pay for any work carried out on the vehicle. If you have purchased our Key Replace product you will be covered for up to £1500 in costs for replacement keys and locks if you lose your keys or they are broken.

Q. Do you need my identification when in need of recovery?

You must provide proof of your identity when you use our service. If these are not available, we may refuse service or make a charge.

Q. What happens if there are no garages within 10 miles?

If you choose our Basic cover, you’re entitled to a 10-mile tow to a garage or another destination. If you need a longer tow, you may have to pay a surcharge.

If you choose our Extra or Complete cover, we’ll tow you to any garage you like or any destination in the UK, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

Q. Is there an age limit for RAC Membership?

There are no restrictions on a member's age with personal-based breakdown cover (entitles the member to be covered in any eligible vehicle).

If you choose vehicle-based cover (covers the named vehicle for use by any authorised driver), you would have to have a licence to be able to drive / ride. Therefore a rider must be at least 16 years of age to ride a moped and a driver 17 years of age to drive a car.

Q. Can I call out for my friend?

If you have chosen personal breakdown cover, you're covered in any non-commercial vehicle, whether as a driver or passenger. So if you are in your friend's car when they break down, you can call the RAC for assistance.

Q. Can I get help if/when away from home I become too unwell to drive?

Yes if you have Recovery cover. Cover is available should you be taken ill and cannot continue your journey and you have no passengers who can drive the vehicle. You will need to produce some form of medical certificate for this (in these cases, we will provide service at our discretion).

Q. Is there a charge for replacement parts or batteries?

Although we will charge for replacement parts, fuel and batteries, your breakdown cover membership does include free fitting and labour for any replacements we provide, so you only pay for the cost of the part. We'll even recycle your old battery for you. Our high quality replacement parts are guaranteed for at least one year, with batteries guaranteed for three years. If you have purchased our Tyre Replace or Battery Replace products then you may be covered for these Tyre/Battery costs.

Q. How do I file a breakdown-related complaint?

If you have a complaint about the breakdown service you have received from RAC, please email us through our contact form and we will look into this for you. We are sorry to hear if you do feel the need to complain, we pride ourselves on our service and want all our members to feel this way.

RAC contact options

It’s often quicker to get the help you need online. To see all the latest help and information regarding your breakdown membership you can visit our Member query pages:

Contact us

To speak to us about your existing or a new membership, please call 0330 159 1111

Mon-Fri 8am to 7pm, Sat 9am to 5pm, bank holidays 9am to 5pm.

Email us your query by clicking here

Breakdown cover from just £7.95 a month

  • Roadside Assistance included with all cover levels
  • Our patrols fix 4 out of 5 on the spot – with repairs done in 30 minutes on average
  • We won't charge you a penny for roadside labour and fitting