Over half of motorists unaware they’ll need insurance green card in case of no-deal Brexit

Over half of motorists unaware they’ll need insurance green card in case of no-deal Brexit
An alarming 55% of motorists are unaware they’ll need a motor insurance green card if they want to drive in Europe following a no-deal Brexit.

Research also found that only 35% of motorists had even heard of the green card.

The latest government advice tells drivers that they will need to take a physical green card when they drive in Europe after Britain’s exit from the EU.

It also recommends that drivers buy an international driving permit (IDP), since some countries will require one for UK drivers taking their cars abroad after October.

UK-registered cars without a blue EU registration plate will also need to display a GB sticker when driving in EU countries.

Fifty-nine per cent of over-65s are aware of the green card rule, compared with just 20% of 18 to 24-year-olds. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) and British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) who commissioned the survey put this down to green cards being used abroad until the 1980s.

A shocking 20% of the 2,000 surveyed were not aware the law required them to hold a valid driving licence when driving in the EU.

When asked what they are legally expected to have to drive in Europe, the most common answer was European breakdown cover at 49%.

European Breakdown Cover

Get covered when driving in Europe from just £7. Plus, get a full refund if Covid-19 restrictions prevent travel.†

Graeme Trudgill, executive director of BIBA, said about the survey: “The research confirms what we suspect – those driving to Europe will be caught unawares.”

ABI and BIBA say they’re working with the Department for Transport to raise awareness of the issue.

The RAC is asking customers to get in touch about their travel plans 21 days before departure. This applies to those travelling before 31st October and returning after this date.

A green card will also be a requirement for EU motorists planning to drive in the UK.

IDPs are available at over 3,000 Post Office branches for £5.50. You can check if you need one by reading the Government’s driving abroad guide.

Copyright Press Association 2019. Motoring News articles do not reflect the RAC's views unless clearly stated.

Car Insurance cover for less than £165

Get Car Insurance cover for less than £165 (that’s what 10% of our customers paid).^

† Price for 1 day cover for up to 9 people travelling in a vehicle up to 1 year old in Zone 1. For more information visit rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/european-breakdown-cover

^ 10% of all customers buying Car Insurance Plus with us from 1st January 2020 to 30th June 2020 paid less than £165. Based on comprehensive Car Insurance Plus, purchased direct, excluding any additional products and upgrades, with payment on an annual basis. Your premium will depend on your circumstances and the level of cover you choose.