Sales enquiries: 0330 159 1111

International Driving Permit

Car wheel

Driving abroad? Get your IDP from RAC

If you're planning to drive a car abroad you'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for certain countries. This international driving permit is in addition to your UK driving licence - which you also need to take with you if you're driving and/or hiring a car abroad.

To be eligible for an IDP you must:

  • Have a full UK driving licence (not provisional) covering the type of vehicle you're planning to drive abroad - be a permanent resident of the UK
  • Be 18 or over

You can't get an IDP with a foreign driving licence unless it's an EU driving licence and you're resident in Great Britain.

What you need to know about getting an IDP:

  • An IDP is valid for 1 year;
  • You can only get an IDP 3 months in advance of needing it;
  • You can't get an IDP issued retrospectively;
  • There are 2 types of IDP (1949 and 1926) depending on which countries you visit (see list of countries) - RAC can issue both.

Need help printing the application form?
Call our Travel Sales team on 0800 051 7778. Opening hours: Monday to Friday - 08:00 to 21:00, Saturday - 08:30 to 17:00, Sunday - 10:00 to 16:00.

Buy now


Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more
RAC Breakdown Cover
Get UK Breakdown Cover from £29.99.
RAC Breakdown Cover_img Find out more
Travel Insurance
Going away? RAC Travel Insurance is here to keep you covered
Travel Insurance_img Get a quote