Tips for driving in Europe

Community Manager
    With the upcoming summer holidays, 2024 Paris Olympics and Euro 2024 in Germany there’s so much happening across the Channel this year. Here at the RAC, we’ve got you covered with some handy tips and tricks.

Remember - Don’t forget your ID (driving license, passport, V5 etc) and in an emergency, dial 112 and an operator will connect you to an emergency service of the country you’re in. We also recommend RAC European Breakdown cover.

Fuel - is it cheaper to fill up at home or once you arrive?

At the time of typing, you’re probably better off filling up before you leave the country, but as you know, fuel prices fluctuate a lot, and from region to region.
    This page will give you an idea of fuel prices across the UK.

We’re also keeping an eye on forecourts across Europe, and this page will give you a sense of what costs to expect when you fill up.

What do you need to know?

Whether it’s by Channel Tunnel or ferry, most likely, you’ll first enter France.

Since September 2021, our cars need to be identified with a ‘UK’ sticker, not GB. Legally, drivers in France MUST also carry a reflective jacket, warning triangle and headlamp beam deflectors.

Some regions may require you to carry snow chains, and others may require a Clean Air sticker. All this information and more is covered here, and if you need it, you can pick up a European Driving kit here.

What about other countries?

We’ve got you covered. Take a look at our tips for Germany, Italy and Spain.

Now it’s over to you, what are your tips for driving in Europe?

Last edited by Mark07; 04-04-24 at 13:37.

Thanks,
    Mark.

Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here 😀
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too 👋
    What should you do after a collision? 🤔
  • 9 Replies

For anyone planning to drive in France, I found this site to be a valuable source of accurate and up-to-date information. They will also sell you any of the stuff you will need (except spare glasses).

https://www.drive-france.com/

My personal advice - brush up on the laws, (note the lower alcohol limit) and try to plan a route that avoids tolls. We always treat the drive as part of the holiday and take our time. A good road map is essential as the trusty satnav always wants to avoid the scenic routes. I like the 2024 Philip's Big Easy to Read Britain Road Atlas. YMMV.

https://www.drive-france.com/faqs/tolls-france/
    Last edited by Santa; 04-04-24 at 16:41.
    They drive on the opposite side of the road, that’s about all I know!
    however, they don’t have as many round abouts as we do in the UK 🤭
    I like to make a note of the little differences or intricacies in the laws…stuff like how to treat junctions, who has priority in a given situation, overtaking…there are some quite significant differences abroad, many of which make quite good sense - one that comes to mind to me is being allowed to exceed the speed limit by 20km/h when overtaking in some countries, makes perfect sense to me to get it done quickly and safely and minimise time spent on the “wrong” side of the road

As for headlight bulbs in France, something I always wondered - what’s the law with LED lights? Do I need to carry a spare one of those, which would be hundreds of pounds? Or is it a case of carrying a regular H7 bulb (which is completely useless to my car) to just tick a box?
    As for headlight bulbs in France, something I always wondered - what’s the law with LED lights? Do I need to carry a spare one of those, which would be hundreds of pounds? Or is it a case of carrying a regular H7 bulb (which is completely useless to my car) to just tick a box?

From the site I gave a link to: "Technically if you read the French law, it is only a requirement to have a replacement if a bulb has blown so if stopped by the police when all your bulbs are working you will not get a fine for not having them. (Unlike other items)

However, if you are stopped because your break light/indicator etc is not working then as long as you have a replacement in the car then you will not get a fine."
    Prepare for driving in Europe by ensuring you have necessary documents and considering RAC European Breakdown cover, fill up on fuel before leaving using resources like RAC's fuel prices page for the UK and forecourt information for Europe, plan routes to avoid tolls, understand driving differences across countries, and equip your vehicle with spare bulbs.
    Last edited by Marc; 11-04-24 at 07:49. Reason: fixing formatting issues
    An acquaintance fell afoul of French law because he had left his hi-viz jackets in the boot with other stuff for Continental driving. Apparently you have to carry one for each person in the car, in the passenger area.
    A tip I learned in Germany recently. Although many motorways have no speed limit, if you are at fault in an accident where you were driving over 130kph, many insurers will cover third party only and you are liable for damage (likely write-off) to your own car, even if you have a fully comprehensive policy.
    A tip I learned in Germany recently. Although many motorways have no speed limit, if you are at fault in an accident where you were driving over 130kph, many insurers will cover third party only and you are liable for damage (likely write-off) to your own car, even if you have a fully comprehensive policy.
    Germen insurers, or UK?
    @Beelzebub Don't know. I suspect German, as I was told by a German police officer. But who knows if it extends to others.