Sales enquiries: 0844 891 3111


Search for advice


Driving in Slovenia

If you're driving in Slovenia your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence - both the photo and paper parts. If you don't have a photo card licence, you'll need an International Driving Permit - find out more here
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down - two if you're towing a trailer
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A first aid kit
  • A reflective jacket within reach inside the car. You'll need to wear this if you stop for any reason outside built-up areas, even if you're just setting up a warning triangle
  • At least 4mm tyre tread if you're driving between 15 November - 15 March - you'll also need to carry winter tyres and snow chains

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seatbelt at all times
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A fire extinguisher
  • A Green Card - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company

Other things you should know:

  • If you want to use the motorways and some toll roads you'll need to purchase a 'Vignette' permit and display it on your windscreen. It costs around 35 EUR for a half-year 'Vignette' and 55 EUR for a full year for a car and 17.50 EUR and 27.50 EUR respectively for motorcycles. You can buy a 'Vignette' at a number of retailers and petrol stations. Police monitor users of motorway sand toll roads and could fine you if you do not display a valid 'Vignette'. You'll find more information here
  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available. You can't get leaded petrol but you can get a lead substitute additive
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 90kph on open roads and 130kph on motorways
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine - you'll get a ticket to take to a local bank or post office where you can pay the fine in cash
  • The drink driving limit is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood - less than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml - but you can be fined even if you're under the limit if police don't think you're able to drive safely
  • You must use dipped headlights during the day, when driving through Slovenia
  • You shouldn't use your horn in built-up areas or at night, except in cases of extreme danger
  • Children under age 12 can't sit in the front and must use a suitable seat restraint in the back
  • You mustn't overtake a bus carrying children when it's stopped to let passengers on or off
  • If you have an accident, you need to call the police and get a written report from them
  • You should always use your hazard lights when you're reversing

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office,,

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

There is a low threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

Around 100,000 British nationals visit Slovenia every year. Most visits are trouble free.

All foreign nationals visiting Slovenia must register with the police within 3 days of arrival or risk paying a fine. See Local laws and customs.

To drive on Slovenian motorways, you must buy and display a ‘vignette’. Vehicles must be fitted with winter equipment from 15 November to 15 March. See Road travel

Seek advice on weather and safety conditions before travelling into the mountains. Off-piste skiing is highly dangerous due to the risk of avalanches. See Skiing/mountaineering.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

You should take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go -
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more