Sales enquiries: 0330 159 1111

Search for advice


Driving in Macedonia

If you're driving in Macedonia your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid, full UK driving licence 
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A warning triangle inside the car in case you break down
  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A first aid kit
  • Winter tyres or snow chains, if you're travelling between 15 November - 15 March

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seatbelt at all times
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • A fire extinguisher

Other things you should know:

  • You might have to pay motorway tolls, depending where you travel within Macedonia - these are usually payable in cash so take plenty of change
  • It's illegal to carry any radar detection equipment, whether or not it's switched on
  • If you have a GPS navigation system that shows you where any fixed speed cameras are, you must deactivate this function
  • Leaded and unleaded petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available
  • Children under age 12 can't travel in the front seat
  • Speed limits vary across Macedonia, so check the signposts for maximum speeds
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence whilst driving through Macedonia, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • The drink-driving limit is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood - lower than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml
  • Anyone under the influence of alcohol can't sit in the front seat, even as a passenger
  • You must use dipped headlights at all times
  • In built-up areas you should only use your horn in an emergency
  • Outside built-up areas, use your horn to let the car in front know you intend to overtake
  • If there's no yellow diamond sign, you must give way to any cars coming from the right
  • If you're taking your own car to Macedonia and the body is damaged, it's wise to get a police report confirming the damage when you enter the country - otherwise, police will query this with you when you leave
  • If you have an accident while in Macedonia and your car is damaged, make sure you get a certificate giving details of the damage. You'll need this to take the car out of the country again

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe

Download  a copy of our full Driving Abroad report.

What RAC can do for you

RAC offers great-value, flexible RAC European breakdown cover tailored to meet your needs. We also offer comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for medical expenses, baggage, personal money and belongings.

Sources Foreign & Commonwealth Office,

Disclaimer: RAC are not responsible for the content of external websites. The information provided is correct as of August 2009 to the best of our knowledge and should be referred to for information purposes only - it should not be relied upon as formal advice. Please always check the current requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave.

There have been protests in central Skopje and elsewhere related to the ongoing political crisis. These may occur at short notice and have occasionally been violent. The likelihood of further protests is high. Check local media and avoid any demonstrations or large gatherings.

Macedonian authorities have declared the south and north border areas near Gevgelija and Kumanovo as crisis zones due to the pressures these areas are facing with migrants/refugees. Avoid large groups and be aware that trains entering Macedonia from Greece may be cancelled or delayed if there is trouble at the Greek/Macedonia border.

Most visits to Macedonia are trouble-free. Occasional acts of criminal violence occur, although foreigners are not generally targeted.

Take particular care if you travel to the north of Macedonia near the border with Kosovo. See Crime and Local travel

There is a general threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

Mosquito-borne diseases, including West Nile virus are present. See Health

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

FCO TRAVEL ADVICE - know before you go -
This service is currently unavailable
Driving in Europe?
European Breakdown cover for complete peace of mind when driving abroad.
Driving in Europe?_img Find out more