UK driving test is a joke!

I think the way in witch they conduct the uk driving test is beyond reasonable. Unsafe drivers are able to get 2liter cars and who straight into the motorways driving foolishly all over the place, while safe drivers who fail due to nerves or simple mistakes are not permitted to drive - no wonder our roads are unsafe, no wonder so many learners drive illegally!

The test needs to be rethought, made relistoc for starters, I mean who on earth pulls up on the side of the road, reverses around a corner, back 2 car lengths then pulls off in the same direction? who goes out for a drive with no idea as to the route they are going to take and no set disination, pulling over countless times to drive away again?

And the accessors are so cold and unfriendly, I certainly wouldnt be driving around passengers who make you feel so unconftable would you?

It schouod me more like the bike test, do your theory, do some lessons, have a test on your control and basic knowledge, receive l plates and have a certain time i witch you are unable to drive in certain conditions or with certain cars. have a set time scale i witch to take a full test in normal situations - maby eveb instructors or camras in the car to test how people actually drive over a longer period of time rather than how they drive for 40minits.

That way learners would have real experiance, and all drivers would be tested on real life siturations.
  • 8 Replies

So that's why I never see idiot motorcyclists driving bikes too big for them and killing and maiming themselves.

The UK test may not be perfect but it has been 80 years since Mr Beere passed the first ever test driving test in 1935: he paid the grand total of 7/ 6d (37.5p). £25 at today's value. If a candidate is so nervous that they can't pass the simple test, how would they react in an emergency. Reversing round a corner tests several points - observation, planning and control for a start, and it's not dissimilar to reversing into a parking place.

Examiners undergo a lengthy period of training and are subject to regular revue. Extending the test would make it even more expensive and serve little purpose.
    After driving as a learner for five years you really should be planning your moves and not even thinking about 'biting points'. That's just for beginners.
    They need to bring in Cycling Licences.

Many cyclists simply ignore the Highway Code. Bicycles should also carry Registration numbers, In my opinion.
    What have cyclists got to do with the driving test?..........Our driving test has been the same for years, as has the Highway Code, which itself is rather outdated? For example, the braking distance, and some other aspects, don't allow for our modern cars.....................Which brings us to speed limits, they were set way back in the 30s when all cars had drum brakes and rubbish tyres, but that's a totally different argument?
    Oh dear, is someone a bit disgruntled at failing their test?

I'll be going into a 2.6 once i've passed my test (insurance permitting) so does that make me an unsafe driver? I sincerely hope the examiner doesnt pass me if he/she feels i'm not capable of driving to a certain standard!

I'm no examiner, but your attitude to driving speaks volumes, there is such a thing as being over-confident which turns into cockiness.
    I wouldn't call it a complete joke, there's stupid elements to it but it's not exactly a joke.

'unsafe drivers getting a 2 litre car' - Just because they've recently passed doesn't mean they're unsafe. The whole point of the test is to make sure that you're capable of driving safely.

'safe drivers who fail due to nerves' - Being nervous doesn't mean you're a safe driver... Anyway, if a simple driving test gets you worked up then you'll be a wreck on busy roads and may end up holding up traffic. Then the part that follows that 'or simple mistakes', if you're making enough mistakes to fail then YOU ARE NOT a safe driver.

'Who on earth pulls up on the side of the road, reverses around a corner back 2 car lengths then pulls off in the same direction' - The whole point of this is to make sure you can carry out said manoeuvre safely, it's a stupid manoeuvre because most people would probably just go down the road and turn around, however, the manoeuvre can be adapted for other situations like parking in a drive.

'Who goes out for a drive with no idea as to the route they are going to take and no destination' - Completely agree with that.

'pulling over countless times to drive away again' - Again, it's not practical but they do it to give you instructions and judge whether you can pull off safely.

'the accessors are so cold and unfriendly' - Well... That would depend on the person...

One main gripe I have is that 40 mins just doesn't seem long enough to me. 40 mins to determine whether you're safe on the road for the next few decades? Pretty ridiculous. Though with the already huge waiting lists and the costs behind all of this I guess there's not much they can do about that. However, I can't help but feel like you're on a bit of a strop because you failed your test.
    Sorry Danni - I agree with most of the replies in that I don't believe the test is 'a joke'..it is the best they can do on their 'limited' budget..I failed one of my tests, right at the start having to do a 'bay park' ..my instructor called in 'sick' with impending hospital / surgery too late for me to cancel..so my son took me in my car..I forgot it had a tow-hitch and touched the wall behind..instant 'serious' fault..who's to blame? - obviously the examiner fer givin' me that manoeuvre rather than simple turn in the road out in the country..it was only 'serious' on that test too. But I managed to fail coupla more times.. for diff'rent things, and I mainly blame my instructor(s) for encouraging me to blow 60 quid when I obviously wasn't up to standard.

I learned from my mistakes, but at no time found the different examiners rude, discourteous, grumpy..wotever.. complete opposite..they are very good at 'reading' their test 'pupils' and will chat or have a joke if they see that relaxes you without encroaching on overall safety. They even try to help you, but are not allowed to 'instruct' you..for instance..on independant driving (last time when I eventually passed), he said, after clearing a Rb 'we will be on this dual-carriageway for about 3 miles when I want you to make a left turn and follow signs to..so-and-so'..the penny didn' drop right away..but I figured wot he was telling me was I had 3 miles to do any overtaking that might be an option...my 'clutch-control' was possibly not as good as with my instructor and, tho' I didn' stall during test, I did sorta apologise to examiner in a 'jokey' manner, blaming the hot weather and my feet were swelling up..lol..he responded in kind extending the joke..

Anyways, your post was 2 1/2 months back..any update..?
    So, the OP has been driving for 5 years, has failed two tests and it's the fault of the driving test? If he's as good as he thinks he is and STILL can't pass a test, all us full licence holders must be driving Gods!