Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,137 Posts
    17-05-24
  2. 257 Posts
    17-05-24
  3. 2,251 Posts
    27-04-24
  4. General Driving Discussions

Conversations about driving, gadgets, travel, breakdowns and safety
    Latest post: Useless Trivia by
    48,066 Posts
    Today
  5. 12,601 Posts
    Today
  6. 10,985 Posts
    17-05-24
  7. Get Involved

Give feedback, get forum updates, read our guides
    Latest post: RAC rewards by
    714 Posts
    Yesterday
  • Useless Trivia
    Thanks for sharing this! I love stuff like this, especially when money is involved as I enjoy seeing how prices compare to today If it helps a... see more
  • Consumer Rights Act Query
    Well I'm well within the 30 days. My concern is that he could hold onto the car for repairs beyond the 30 days or so close to the deadline that I... see more
    The Motor Ombudsman at What are a consumer’s legal rights when buying a car? - The Motor Ombudsman lays things out quite clearly if you are outside... see more
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/20/enacted 10)To the extent that the consumer paid money under the contract, the consumer is... see more
    Hi all... fairly simple one I purchased a second hand clio a couple of weeks ago that turned out to have an oil pressure fault. Within 10 days of... see more
  • Useless Trivia
    Was tidying some of my clutter, and found my First Edition Motor and Gas-Power Pocketbook. 1913 price 5/-. In 1913: Road tax (Excise Duty) was £2... see more
  • Speed limits, traffic lights and HS2
    Drivingforfun: Do you mean the ones on the straight off the roundabout after the water tower south of Biggleswade, the Potton turnoff? I think these... see more
  • Grumpy old man post r.e. Cyclists
    Nothing wrong with a bit of grumpiness @Drivingforfun 😆 It's good to be honest. I can't stand people who pretend to be happy all the time. Do... see more
  • Should I claim?
    @Michaeldeezer. I suggested that if the repair was less costly, it may be worth dealing with it yourself. The sort of thing I have in mind is... see more
  • Should I claim?
    Thanks for your reply, I'm a bit confused where you say having it done at my own expense but then recommend put it through the insurance? Thanks once... see more
  • Should I claim?
    It's a £30k car, so they won't write it off for a £3k repair. You estimate the cost of the repair may well be wildly out. IME repairs are always a... see more
  • Should I claim?
    Asking for opinions/advise, please. I am suffering from whooping cough at the moment so I am not thinking clearly. The scenario: I bought a (new)... see more
  • RAC rewards
    I’ve been trying to join but keep seeing this error message “​​​​​​​Your name and/or postcode is not recognised. Please check your details and try... see more
    The regulations actually changed in 2012. The general rule is that motorists are supposed to be aware that they are in a 30 mph area because the... see more
    I've read (might have been here) that these signs aren't actually "legal" because there aren't repeater signs. /QUOTE] AFAIK there used to be a... see more
    To be a legal sign and for it to be enforceable it has to be a round sign with a red border and a white background such as shown here. If it is... see more
    Not always the case, rules changed some time ago and many councils now also get to keep some of the revenue from speed enforcement cameras see more
    Interesting lesson there, thanks for the info We seem to have some temporary roadworks-style "40" signs on a road near where I live. It seems to... see more
    If that was the case they were sadly misinformed. Revenue from speeding fines and FPs goes to the Treasury. Speed awareness course fees are split... see more
    Well firstly a quick history lesson regarding speed limits. Until about 12 years ago, if the council wanted to change a speed limit they would... see more
    Not sure about HS2 but I often drive in the area where some new train line is supposed to be being laid - Oxford to Cambridge I suppose - and there... see more
    Since HS2 work started in my general area, there has been a marked increase in reduced speed limits. NSLs reduced to 20 and 30mph and a noticeable... see more
  • Using passing places
    Sorry, should have clarified. The last comment was meant to be sarcastic, in the sense that there are those who will sit for extended periods of... see more
    Agree 100%. I have many tales to tell of the ignorance of cyclists, and how they completely ignore traffic signs and lights. Unfortunately, as with... see more
    Just to clarify, I’m not upset by this and it’s a bit of a tongue in cheek post, but I do stand by the point I’ll make… ​​​​​​​When I’m in my car... see more
  • School Memories
    We had the old MiniMax conical fire extinguishers in our school and they could be opened up. Inside was a colourless liquid and a bag of a red... see more
  • Stupid chemistry question
    As Mark07 said, white phosphorus at 34C, add to that; Silane at 21C and Triethylborane at -20C (Triethylborane was used to start the engines on... see more
  • EV Footprint facts
    Rather naive. Does the fact that child labour is used to mine the platinum and palladium that goes into a catalytic convertor enter into your buying... see more