Solid white lines

I was following a 40mph limited road separated by solid white lines, I was following a tractor which was doing a fair speed of just over 30mph and I was overtaken, along with the tractor, by about half a dozen vehicles

The road is long, straight and flat, so I don’t believe either the 40mph limit nor the double white lines are necessary, but I decided to assume that the law overrules my personal opinion

Have the rules changed??

While I have this thread open I’ll ask a related question if I may. Lots of people I know refer to solid white lines as meaning “no overtaking” … I was always of the opinion that they actually meant “no crossing the line”??

Before anyone calls me pedantic there is a difference IMO as if I am correct it would imply that you can’t cross them for any reason, even if not overtaking, e.g. to improve your view or smooth out a bend … and likewise I suppose if the carriageway was wide enough you COULD in fact overtake someone if you were able to do so without crossing the line (perhaps more likely if on a motorcycle)

Is this correct?
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    I was following a 40mph limited road separated by solid white lines, I was following a tractor which was doing a fair speed of just over 30mph and I was overtaken, along with the tractor, by about half a dozen vehicles

The road is long, straight and flat, so I don’t believe either the 40mph limit nor the double white lines are necessary, but I decided to assume that the law overrules my personal opinion

Have the rules changed??

While I have this thread open I’ll ask a related question if I may. Lots of people I know refer to solid white lines as meaning “no overtaking” … I was always of the opinion that they actually meant “no crossing the line”??

Before anyone calls me pedantic there is a difference IMO as if I am correct it would imply that you can’t cross them for any reason, even if not overtaking, e.g. to improve your view or smooth out a bend … and likewise I suppose if the carriageway was wide enough you COULD in fact overtake someone if you were able to do so without crossing the line (perhaps more likely if on a motorcycle)

Is this correct?

The rules have not changed and the offence remains as it has been since the introduction of the 1988 road traffic act namely - section 36(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988, Schedule 9 to the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.

A solid white line does not mean that you cannot overtake. what the actual rules say is that no vehicle is allowed to straddle or cross over a solid central white line system that is on your side of the road except

You must not cross or straddle it unless as already stated -

1. it is safe and you need to turn right to enter adjoining premises or a side road.

2. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph or less.

3. If directed to do so by a Police officer or Traffic Warden in uniform.

Queueing traffic is deemed as still moving traffic and completes the offence , and overtaking the tractor would also be sufficient to obtain a TS20 offence code, minimum of three points and £1,000 fine if reported for summons although it usually is dealt with by FPN which is a £200 fine and 3 points.

If you are able to overtake without crossing over or straddling the solid white lines safely (and this incudes where there is a solid white line on your side of the road), then it is perfectly legal and you will see many motorcyclists overtake in these situations as their lack of width makes it possible for them to go past.

You will also find on many of the older roads where there used to be what we called a "Dead mans lane" which is where there used to be three lanes on a single carriageway, but has now been reduced to 2, the width of the road and each lane is wider but is controlled by a solid centre white line often on just one side of the carriageway, making it possible for overtaking to occur.

I was giving a traffic law talk to an advanced driving group only last week and this very subject was raised, so it seems to be a current topic of conversation.
    @DrivingforfunYou're right, the rules haven't changed.

"No crossing" actually means the whole car (not just the wheels) must keep to the left of the solid line.

Inevitably, there is a list of exceptions.

Highway Code Rule 129

Double white lines where the line nearer to you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.