Grumpy old man post r.e. Cyclists

Just to clarify, I’m not upset by this and it’s a bit of a tongue in cheek post, but I do stand by the point I’ll make…

When I’m in my car and I’m the larger road user, I’m expected to wait behind a cyclist, and have my road speed dictated to me by them, until it’s safe to pass with plenty of extra room.

I do this and am always happy to. I’m never in a rush and am often only out for fun anyway.

When I’m a pedestrian, the cyclist is the larger road user. Why don’t they do-as-they’d-have-done-to-them and wait behind me, at my speed, and only pass me when there is room?

Instead I am expected to move and often am considered an inconvenience for slowing them down if I don’t get out of their way in good time…often don’t get a “thanks” either

Often they’ll even ring their bell on approach to get me to move. What if I did that with my horn when I’m in the car?

Sorry for the rant
  • 2 Replies

Agree 100%. I have many tales to tell of the ignorance of cyclists, and how they completely ignore traffic signs and lights. Unfortunately, as with most things in life, it is the minority who cause problems for the majority.
    Community Manager
    Nothing wrong with a bit of grumpiness @Drivingforfun 😆 It's good to be honest. I can't stand people who pretend to be happy all the time.

When I’m a pedestrian, the cyclist is the larger road user. Why don’t they do-as-they’d-have-done-to-them and wait behind me, at my speed, and only pass me when there is room?
    Do you mean when you're a pedestrian walking in the road? Or a cyclist on the pavement behind you?
    Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here 😀
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too 👋
    What should you do after a collision? 🤔
    Got a question or want to start a discussion? Create a new post here. ✍
    Looking for info? Start with a new search. 🔍