Car accident repairs

We were in a car accident a few months ago and the car was repaired through the driver who caused the accident insurance and who has also admitted liability. However we are very unhappy with the repairs carried out to our vehicle, the biggest concern we have is that the rear passenger side door that took the brunt of the collision doesn’t close properly and the child locks have failed numerous times and our daughters been able to open the door from her child seat, also had advisories on an mot that look to be caused from the collision. We would of preferred the car to have been written off and where surprised when told it was being fixed, any advice on if we are able to change this decision and have it written off, we don’t feel safe in this car
  • 9 Replies

@Chris22 You need to talk to your insurance company. They should arrange an inspection to verify that the repairs were unsatisfactory and then get it rectified.
    What if I don't feel safe in the car anymore and don't want the repairs rectified? Am I within my rights to have it written off ?
    Did you sign off the vehicle as being repaired to a satisfactory state when you collected it? If you did, this might cause an issue as it is normal procedure to sign off in full and final settlement.

This is often the repair shops get out of jail card, especially if the repairer is one approved or appointed by the insurers. You may have a bit of a battle but as already mentioned, you need to speak to your insurers, but don't leave it too long. The longer you wait the more likely they are to reject your claim or complaint.

For what its worth, you are not obliged to use a repairer appointed or recommended by an insurer.

The rules were changed a few years ago that you are entitled to use a repairer of your choice and you cannot be forced to use an in house repair shop in much the same way that you are not obliged to use in house solicitors in personal injury cases, you are allowed to appoint your own and the insurers cannot withhold funding in legal expenses funded policies and claims.
    @Chris22 You need to talk to your insurance company. They should arrange an inspection to verify that the repairs were unsatisfactory and then get it rectified.
    If I've understood the OP correctly, he was dealing with the third party's insurer, not his own. Perhaps he could clarify?
    Yes using the young lad who caused the crash insurance
    @TC1474

my partner just reminded me that we did not sign off when taking delivery of the car because the weather was horrendous and the guy said don’t worry about signing! ,my vehicle was also bumped when being removed off the flat bed by the delivery driver causing damage to the front bumper
    OK, so those are the insurers you should be talking to.

OK, then as mentioned, you need to speak to the third party insurers and tell them that you are not satisfied with the quality of work carried out, but......

Your own insurance company will be aware of the claim, so copy them in to any correspondence and keep them in the loop as often they can bring pressure to bear on the third party insurers if they don't play ball.
    I, very briefly, worked for an insurance approved workshop. The first week they forced a third-party manufactured front bumper on a car, and I was told to drive it to the owner, who had agreed to drive me back. I got about a mile down the road when the bumper fell off, and unfortunately I drove over it. The owner of the workshop then accused me of having an accident with the car. I later found out that the insurer had been charged £450 for a genuine bumper, when the one fitted which cost £80. The second occasion was after an airbag had gone off damaging the loom. A couple of rolls of insulating tape later, and the insurer was charged £3,000 for a complete new loom which would have been a lot of dismantling to fit. The car broke down with a massive electrical burnout around 200yards from the workshop. The owner blamed me, knowing I had never touched the car. At that point I quit but only after threatening with reporting what I knew to insurers. I left that day with a pretty hefty bribe to keep my mouth shut. The workshop closed a little while later. This kind of practice is still ongoing within the motor trade.