Over 5 hour wait-is this normal?

Yesterday I broke down with a fuel leak from my Volvo X90 going onto a busy roundabout in Ipswich, 100 miles from home.
    Police pushed me into hard standing and I called RAC straight away. I have full cover. Gave accurate location and fuel leak info and was put on hold. This situation continued for 5 hours. Everytime I phoned for info was held in a phone queue for over 2 hours in total. Phone battery was dying. No updates, just texts saying a trusted service person hadn’t been allocated.
    I phoned local breakdown company who said they worked for RAC , were free but hadn’t been allocated the job. Several of their vehicles and RAC vans had passed me during this wait. Eventually spoke to a real person from the RAC (they had dispatched someone to my home address 4 hours previously) who said I could leave the keys with the vehicle. RAC were still sending me texts all day- the last one said estimated time for my vehicle would be 23.25 (over 14 1/2 after my first call). Tried to report online but app wouldn’t let me- said there was an online fault.

Had to organise taxi for husband & 2 children and pay £230.
    No apology or interaction until my husband posted on social media about this appalling lack of service and interest.

I’m paying £300 a year and always felt I needed it for my own safety as a woman driver. Renewal is due in August - should I stay with the RAC or seek an alternative? Yesterday I felt let down and vulnerable. Today I feel angry and want answers!
  • 7 Replies

Been waiting since 11:00 for a tow, they arrived about 10min ago at 22:00 so yeah this is normal "service"
    @TabG
    that is appalling. Is there any alternative that is any better?
    currently battling with emails in order to get some answers. Apologies just aren’t enough when I’ve been put to the bottom of the queue and are a long way from the ‘priority’ they claim I was.
    I and my two daughters have all been individual members of the RAC for many years. None of us has had reason to call the RAC until today.

Today my elder daughter was driving alone on a minor road in rural Lincolnshire when she suffered a blowout. She called me to ask what to do (I am 100 miles away). I told her to contact the RAC for assistance in putting the spare on (she has a spare, but she's smaller than average and probably doesn't have the physical strength to safely change a wheel).
    Her phone data signal wasn't strong enough to be able to use the online breakdown reporting system (she said the website was just 'hanging').
    She eventually got through to someone at the RAC Call Centre and was told that 'if she felt unsafe or vulnerable' she should call the police. No RAC assistance could be given......! She was very distressed.
    She waited by her car and luckily managed to flag down a passing driver who put the spare on for her.
    This is absolutely appalling service from the RAC and try to 'pass the buck' to the police is not acceptable.
    Needless to say none of us will be renewing with RAC breakdown and we'll be relating this experience to as many others as possible!
    I broke down at Membury Services between Swindon and Newbury..There was a rattling from the engine . I thought it advisable to not continue with the journey lest I should break down on the motorway or cause irreparable damage to the engine. I phoned for assistance at 21-45 30-10-23. I got a text saying the targeted arrival time would be 03-0. 5 hours. Someone came along at 0400 and diagnosed the problem. Then a text said a tow truck would be with me at 06-19.. Eventually a truck arrived at 13-15:the following afternoon. I was repeatedly lied to. First I was assured it would be 1100 31-10-23, then 1200. Eventually it was 13-15. If I had broken down on the motorway I would have been in a life threatening position; either stay in the car and try and keep warm out of the rain and 8C temperatures and risk being struck by a car or truck as does happen to cars on the hard shoulder or leave the car and get soaked in the rain and endure 8C temperatures for hours. How long would the RAC have taken under those circumstances? Maybe as a priority, instead of 15 hours, 7.5 hrs. This is an unacceptable level of service and needs to be broadcast.
    @CatherineF sorry to hear your experience. This afternoon had the rear track control arm go on my car at 50mph. I am lucky to be in one peace. Called RAC immediately to be texted back saying they would be hopefully with me within an hour. 2 hours later I called them and was told it may be up to a 13 hour wait. I said it’s minus degrees, windy and snowing. Luckily my car was running. I was then told that a private contractor would contact me to arrange recovery. I am still waiting on a call. I ended up having to get a neighbour pick me up and left car at side of road. Will not be using RAC ever again once car is at garage.
    @CatherineF we have been waiting since 11am this morning, it's now 6pm and they have just called to say they won't be able to come today and will call us from 8am tomorrow morning!!!

Absolutely shocking service or lack of it from RAC!! Our car won't start as the battery has died - it's a 2021 car. Luckily we are at home but since we logged out breakdown at 11am we have had messages telling us they will be here from 2pm now a call to say they won't get to us today!!!

If you are thinking of going RAC really don't, shocking they treat paying customers this way!
    I broke down yesterday morning on a dual carriageway at 7.15am. My engine literally just stopped at 70mph, I managed to get to the verge as there’s no lay-by but steering went as it slowed and there’s not really space to be off the carriageway. Lorry’s were thundering past me so I did as I knew should and got the hell out, walked through well overgrown grass and stinging nettles to the metal barrier. I first went to my RAC app and immediately seen the advice I have to call 999. I called the police and they assured me they were sending someone, I then called the RAC. I was informed that they would not log my breakdown until the police arrived and it was safe, so I had to call back then. It was so bloody cold, I left my coat in the car and couldn’t go back. 30 minutes later the police arrived to slow traffic and make things safe, I’d never been so happy to see them! So I called the RAC to report the breakdown, I was told that as I was in a dangerous place I was top of their list! Amazing! How wonderful! Over an hour later, still on the carriageway and an update that said its latest arrival time would be 10.15 (3 hours after breaking down) I called them. They unfortunately had higher priorities than myself and they would be with me soon. The policeman then said that we really couldn’t wait much longer because I’m causing havoc in rush hour traffic on a dual carriageway, it’s dangerous so he would organise a tow. A tow truck arrived, the man informed me because the police called him, he was supposed to impound my vehicle, I’d have to pay £192 for the pleasure of being moved. He then added that as I had broken down and not been in an accident or committed an offence he would take me the three minutes drive to the services at the end of the carriageway, but it would still cost me £192. I have no choice and quite frankly wanted off the bloody carriageway. I arrived with vehicle at the services around 11am. I contacted RAC to update my location. The RAC arrived at around 1pm, his attempts for get my vehicle on the road were futile and he told me my engine was shot. He then told me that as I have an 8 seater van he wouldn’t be able to tow me and would have to log a request for a tow truck. At this point I could’ve cried, I was so cold and tired and I’d have to wait even longer because the van they send isn’t adequate to tow my vehicle. All information they have on their system. He logs the tow request and leaves. I call RAC to try and find out what the ETA will be, as their link wasn’t updating, she told me 20 minutes, which was music to my ears! My husband called to check in and ask if he and his work mate sounded come and pick me up, of course I said no point it’s coming soon. By luck I clicked on their link again while talking to him, there was now an update saying their estimated arrival time would be 7.40-9.40pm! Wtf! He told me to ring them again to make sure and sure enough, it was a 20 minute wait 5 minutes ago and now they would do their best to get to me asap. It’s now 3pm, I’ve been in the cold for nearly 8 hours. I called my husband to come and get me, I left the key on the tyre. I arrived home around 4.30pm. At 5pm I received a call, it was the tow guys from the morning, he said the RAC had requested for them to pick my vehicle up and bring it the 30 min drive to my garage near home. The same company I had to pay £192 to put me in the services, were picking my vehicle up for the RAC. Anyone else see the ridiculousness!!!! I had sorted for my garage to look at my vehicle that afternoon but they were closed by the time it arrived, so now I have to wait until Monday to find out if I need a new vehicle or not. I appreciate there is a priority list, I was top of it apparently and didn’t get priority service in a dangerous situation. Had to involve police, pay £192 and froze my god damn ass off all day, had mixed updates for times and generally felt they didn’t care. Recovery service my ass.