Thread: Trading in faulty car

Default Trading in faulty car

Hi everyone I'm after your help please. Traded my vehicle in at a Ford main dealer with a juddering engine issue (diesel engine) and Intermittent non start, no warning lights on the dash fault. Picked the car signed up for it and the finance has been accepted. Salesman went out to the my part ex to look around the car and it wouldn't start so he's knocked money off around 500 because of this, we are due to pick up our new car next week (waiting on it being delivered). We left our car at the dealer as it didn't start but today the salesman has rang and said he's driven our part ex with the sales manager and said the engine has an internal fault, for argument sake if it has the salesman has basically said our trade in is worthless. So the question is are they well within there rights to change the deal and offer us nothing for the part ex even though we've already signed up or can we say tough luck and see the deal through? Thanks

Default trade in

Sounds a bit strange.....

I think Hometune may have a better legal slant on this, but if a garage agrees to a deal based on the car you have shown them (ussume they had the chance to sit in and drive it if they wanted) then, its their liability?

You are not a dealer and don't have to provide a warrently like they do would be my take on it.

The original deal, selling price, VAT, PDI and trade in blah blah blah if signed, is the deal?

They are playing hardball with you. But....

1. Did they ask you at any time before signing the deal if your car had any faults? Be honest now.
    2. Did they examine your car before or after you signed the deal?
    3. When the salesman could not start the car, what exactly was said? Did you then admit there was an intermittent starting problem?

In a car sale such as this, the profit from you buying the car as a cash sale may be (for argument's sake) 1,000. By signing you up for a finance deal they get a kick back so let's say 500. As they are all on sales commission including the sales manager, they will want to screw you for as much as they can get. The fact you caved in when they deducted 500 initially is giving them confidence to increase their profit and commission. The car, if you go ahead, will be sold at auction, let's say 500 (even though they say its worthless) so they will now get well over 2,000 for commission calculations.

A contract is a contract and cannot be changed by one side without the consent of the other and it must not be under duress etc etc. So, as I see it, you have a choice.

1. Accept the final deal i.e. the car is worthless or,
    2. Tell them they must stick to the agreed 500 reduction by the salesman as that is the contract you both signed and legally binding or,
    3. Walk away and go somewhere else.

You are selling them a faulty car which you kept quiet about and which they have now discovered and have deducted 500. In the circumstances I think that's probably reasonable. So on the information here, I'd accept option 2. If they wont and insist on giving you nothing then option 3.

Really appreciate your feedback.

To answer your questions

1. Did they ask you at any time before signing the deal if your car had any faults? Be honest now. - No only when they salesmans came back in he said the car would not start.

2. Did they examine your car before or after you signed the deal? - They examined before the deal was signed.

3. When the salesman could not start the car, what exactly was said? - I walked out with the salesman and said I've been having an issue with my egr valve which has been changed recently by a friend who is a technician because of an intermittent non start issue and we have lost faith in the vehicle. I mentioned nothing about the juddering from the engine before I signed the deal.

Did you then admit there was an intermittent starting problems? - Yes before I signed the deal hence the salesman knocked the 500 off to compensate for the non start issue.

In that case I would tell them its option 2 which is your contract. If they dont play ball then walk away (unless you can afford the losses).