Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DVLA - What is going on???

Default DVLA - What is going on???

Since the abolition of the paper car tax disc for the windscreen, it is impossible to tell at a glance if a driver has car tax or not. In July last year, I was suspicious when I saw a car visiting the pub opposite me. I used DVLA's website and entered the details of the Mondeo to see if it was taxed.

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

The Mondeo's tax expired on the 31st May 2015 so thought it might be a mistake or the driver had forgotten to renew. A month later I rechecked and the car was still without tax. So I used DVLA's website to report an untaxed vehicle.

https://forms.dft.gov.uk/report-an-untaxed-vehicle/

I thought that would be the end of it. But no. During 2015 I saw the car almost every day as I passed the owner's house, he went shopping in the town, he went to the pub nearly every evening or he went to work. So I continued to report this via the DVLA website throughout the year. Yet nothing was ever done.

I raised a complaint within the DVLA process and received a copy and paste reply stating that DVLA do not operate a call out system, do not clamp all untaxed vehicles and use 'other means' to recover the unpaid tax. As the months passed by I escalated the complaint to the executive level - whatever that may be - and received the exact same letter by the exact same person. Searching the DVLA website I finally found the chief executive's email address and fired off a strongly worded email about 'incompetence', 'disgrace', 'hopeless' etc. Yes, you have guessed, the same letter in reply.

So now it was a battle of wills with this government department and I sent my MP the details. Currently waiting for the response as she has written to the chief executive. However, in the meantime, DVLA wrote to say the driver/owner of the Mondeo has been fined before for no tax and they would be tasking the wheel clamping team to stop this. I got that letter 3 months ago and the Mondeo is still being driven around every day with no tax. Last night it parked on the main road outside the pub so it has not been taxed since the 1st June 2015 despite me reporting it more than 40 times now!!! And to make matters worse, this driver is friendly with another pub customer who started coming to the pub just after Christmas and his car has not been taxed since 1st January this year. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not but very annoying as I have to tax 3 vehicles.

DVLA will sell your details to any private car parking company but they will not catch untaxed cars. What is going on???

Incompetence. And indifference. That's what's going on. I have three cars and two bikes to tax and I never miss a renewal date (OK, mot's not included in that but that's forgetfulness, not avoidance). But like all law abiding citizens, the day we fail to tax one of our vehicles, they'll come down on us like a ton of bricks. The scum of this world seem to always get away with it. Maybe it's because they have nothing to lose. The owner can probably buy another Mondeo for less that it would cost him to tax it so why should he bother? They should be actively targeted.

Makes you wonder if we are all wasting our money by paying our car tax. Full marks for exposing the tardiness of the DVLA. Have you tried drawing the car to the attention of the police? When I had my first car, the taxing was controlled by the local authority (perhaps it should be reverted to that system) and, of course, we had that obvious tax disc that had to be displayed on the windscreen. The police were more vigilant then as well.
    I was once stopped on the way to work for having an out-of-date tax disc. I said I was certain the car was taxed, so the officer told me to get it onto the screen as soon as, and would be round to see me that night if it wasn't taxed.

Here's the daft thing. My disc holder was a metal ring stuck to the screen and a Bakelite disc held by a circlip kept everything in place. But the disc rattled, so I used to leave a couple of expired tax discs for packing. When I put the new tax disc in the holder, I had not noticed that the expiring one had stuck to the screen, so the new disc was behind it and I had never noticed this.
    I could have taken the disc out at the time and put things to rights in front of the officer. Lucky for me, he did not apply the letter of the law.

The police will not and do not involve themselves with tax offences in West Yorkshire - "Report it to DVLA". In fact they wont even visit a driver with a car with no insurance parked on the road - "No manpower, cuts". Last year I reported a Lexus driver to the police who drove every day. He had no driving licence (he was from Eritrea and the police told me this), no insurance, no MOT and the car had been declared SORN in February 2015. I reported it several times to DVLA and the police. Eventually in November the owner moved house, visited by the police who simply warned him. After going through the very protracted DVLA system again over an 8 month period, the owner was finally taken to court and fined £550. Whether he will pay is another story.....

I think these tax dodgers know they can get away with no tax as they are both insured and have current MOTs. In fact the MOT was carried out on the Mondeo on the 20th August 2016 and it passed so he clearly knows he has a good chance of getting away with it. Yet the penalty if the car is clamped will be more for the tax offence than the MOT!

My partner works at the White Rose Shopping Centre in Leeds and regularly sees the DVLA clamping vehicle driving around their huge car parks fitting clamps. These will be easy targets mainly driven by wives/girlfriends so in no danger of a confrontation.

That's another thing that irks me - the times we hear of failure to pay the fines levied by a court or an authorised official body. There's no excuse for allowing a car owner to escape - just impound the car pending payment, and allow 7 days before storage begins to apply.
    If current legislation doesn't allow this, then the law needs changing.

It's my belief that the government operate on the principle that, if they are satisfied with getting a certain percentage of car tax paid in, then don't waste time chasing up the non-payers. The mugs can go on paying, and even have their car tax increased a bit (isn't £10 a year a popular sum) to help close the deficit.

Another thing that annoys me is when the police (recorded on TV) stop a driver who is obviously taking the mickey, and keep calling him "mate". A few years ago a colleague of mine was visiting relatives in Australia. He failed to indicate a left turn, and next thing was a patrol car stopped him. He was ordered to get out and stand with his hands on the car roof. His feet were kicked apart and, when he started sputtering for an explanation, one of the coppers said, "He's a bloody Pom." That's the way to do it, though!

Oh the embarrassment! Sitting here watching police interceptors it suddenly hit me that I hadn't renewed the tax on my touring bike that ran out while I was away last week. I've just this moment done it so stand down Hometune!!

Wink

Not as embarrassing as if we had been watching you on the TV being pulled in by PC Hometune.

What I can't understand is, if the police are so understaffed, why does it four of them in two cars, then a van, to pick up a shop lifter from ASDAs?............................................ ......Also, on that TV program about the police, it took nine of them, arriving in three vans, to raid a suspected drug dealers flat. They smashed the door in (which was unlocked) raided the place, and sent in the police drugs dog, all for nothing, the place was clean?.........................................obv iously the dealer had been tipped off, as the flat was full of drug paraphernalia, no arrests made.
    Last edited by smudger; 02-04-16 at 21:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Not as embarrassing as if we had been watching you on the TV being pulled in by PC Hometune.
    Too right, given a good flogging then deported to Oz. That'll teach him. Have you noticed how he's ALWAYS forgetting these car related things? No MOTs, now no tax, wonder how his insurance is doing.......

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    What I can't understand is, if the police are so understaffed, why does it four of them in two cars, then a van, to pick up a shop lifter from ASDAs?............................................ ......Also, on that TV program about the police, it took nine of them, arriving in three vans, to raid a suspected drug dealers flat. They smashed the door in (which was unlocked) raided the place, and sent in the police drugs dog, all for nothing, the place was clean?.........................................obv iously the dealer had been tipped off, as the flat was full of drug paraphernalia, no arrests made.
    They have to go around in pairs because they're frightened on their own. Unless they are dressed like a SWAT team member they can't go out the police station door. Pansies, the lot of 'em.