Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Buying Private: Receipt of transaction

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Buying Private: Receipt of transaction

    When buying a car from a private seller, what (if any) official documents should be signed? Who keeps what?

    From some brief research online, I've seen that -
    * Section 6 of the V5C "new keeper or new address..." should be completed
    * Both buyer and seller must sign section 8 and send V5C to the DVLA.
    * The buyer retains the properly completed V5C/2 green section
    (This info from the VOSA website:

    Does this mean that the V5C sections (as above), serve as legally binding proof of sale, protecting both seller and buyer?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007


    Get a receipt of the person your buying the vehicle from so be a hand written one with vehicle details and both persons involved in the sale ie, yourself and seller...also date of sale
    personally i would pay with bankers draft also so theres a trace of sale through bank with sellers name being on bank draft and receipt...

    good luck

    you wont have any probs if you do the above

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Follow RAC:

Sales enquiries:

0330 159 1111

03 numbers are charged at national call rates and included in inclusive minute plans from landlines and mobiles. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded